Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've started again ...

Formatted the 2GB SD card with SDFormatter, downloaded Peter's image, used win32diskimager and stuck the card into the RPi. RPi boots fine and I can login as root. I connected to my router with a cable. My router didn't see the RPi. Running ifconfig eth0 I get an error "eth0 - error fetching interface information - Device not found"

If I run ip a, I get detail for lo and eth1.

How can I get eth0 to come up?

I've edited /etc/network/interfaces/ and added iface eth0 inet dhcp but still no luck.

I'm stuck.
    T-EGUB1

Comment

• OK, I found the problem. Thanks to a Google search "where is eth0 ?".
      I had to delete a file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules then re-boot.

I then ran ifup eth0 and it all came together.

Steep learning curve
      T-EGUB1

Comment

• Originally posted by trigger View Post
        OK, I found the problem. Thanks to a Google search "where is eth0 ?".

Steep learning curve
        Great job, Dave! Yes, the learning curve can be a bit steep, especially if you haven't played around with command lines before. I was just about typing out a long e-mail asking you to try out various things! :-)

Did you manage to sort out the problem with the D-Link wifi dongle?
        T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Hi Jayant, no I gave up on the wireless dongle as it was just one more thing that needed to be right. I was going down the wpa_supplicant route as the built in wi-fi configurator mentioned wpa_supplicant couldn't be found (that's when I decided to stick with wires for now)

Thanks, Dave
          T-EGUB1

Comment

OK, I found the problem. Thanks to a Google search "where is eth0 ?".

Steep learning curve
            Oh, good work trigger ... that has found it's way into wheezy has it? - bummer - causes me extra work regularly on RedHat EL6 and CentOS 6.

That is due [on RedHat] to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules having the MAC address of each of the network interfaces recorded into the file. On RHEL6 the MAC address is also recorded into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

I need to update the install doc for the new feeder anyway - I'll add a note about the persistent rules file.

Comment

• Hi Peter,
              I'm glad to help. I'm totally new to Rpi and Linux so everything is a challenge at the moment.

Can I just check that your image file contains everything that I need to run dump1090 and that I don't need to follow the instructions for installing cmake, build-essential etc. on pages 3 and 4 of your document.
              T-EGUB1

Comment

• Everything is there (it's am image of my second working system), but you need to make three changes
                * Download and install the latest feeder (released last week) - see post 459 in this thread (this is post 473)
                * edit the fr24.sh file to change to use the new feeder (2 places) and to add your feeder key.
                * remove / fix file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (as you have found five or six posts back)
                Last edited by peterhr; 2014-02-27, 12:59.

Comment

• I haven't got to that bit in the instructions yet. I've just got dump1090 running on the RPi so I'll be looking at feeding Virtual Radar Server locally first. Small steps
                  T-EGUB1

Comment

I haven't got to that bit in the instructions yet. I've just got dump1090 running on the RPi so I'll be looking at feeding Virtual Radar Server locally first. Small steps
                    If you point your web browser at http://ip-address-of-pi:8080 you get a page similar to VRS ... click the link in my sig to see mine.

Comment

• New Pi Image & Doc update 2014-02-27 - see post 8 in this thread

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                        New Pi Image & Doc update 2014-02-27 - see post 8 in this thread
                        Really appreciate the effort you're making to keep the image and docs updated, Peter!

Just some points for the next update - the new version of the statically linked Linux feeder doesn't need the "export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20" instruction according to the changelog. I tested this by commenting it out in the script, and it works without exporting the IP address. Also I think you missed out the bit about blacklisting or detaching the built-in kernel driver (-DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON). Not sure if you've done something else in the new image to take care of this.

Best
                        Jayant
                        T-VABB7 | RTL dongle + Raspberry Pi + dump1090 + Bulgarian 5dBi collinear

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayant View Post
                          Really appreciate the effort you're making to keep the image and docs updated, Peter!

Just some points for the next update - the new version of the statically linked Linux feeder doesn't need the "export FR24AUTHIP=83.140.247.20" instruction according to the changelog. I tested this by commenting it out in the script, and it works without exporting the IP address.
                          The line was commented out in the script

Originally posted by Jayant View Post
                          ]Also I think you missed out the bit about blacklisting or detaching the built-in kernel driver (-DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON). Not sure if you've done something else in the new image to take care of this.
                          Avoided this issue by using a minimal build of Wheezy that doesn't have lots of unessential stuff built in - The normal full wheezy release now needs an 4Gb SD card, the image I've supplied is built and running on a 1Gb card - bigger can be used.

Comment

• All working fine with dump1090 and RPi except I still have the problem of only seeing a few aircraft. I did a back-to-back check with rtl1090 on a Windows PC with the same antenna and same dongle within a short time frame. The rtl1090 was seeing 80+ aircraft and plotting in VRS, but as soon as I ran up the RPi the number dropped to less than 20. I can see a plot from the Rpi by using the RPi's IP address in my browser. Am I missing something somewhere?

I also have to do ifup eth0 to get the RPi to talk to the router every time I re-boot.

Any simple instructions for getting the RPi with Peter's image to connect via wireless? I'll post a bunch of questions and error messages over the weekend once my brain has stopped frying
                            T-EGUB1

Comment

• How's your gain set up? Ensure it's matched and see if it shows same number of airplanes.

Comment

• OK, just in case there was an issue moving the image to a second pi, I copied the img file [posted 2 days ago] to 2Gb SD card
                                - didn't expand it [so it's still at 1Gb]
                                - and popped it into the Pi running T-EGBB19 24/7
                                - DHCP granted it the regular local IP address for that PI [no surprise I have a reservation for the MAC address], the network did come up OK
                                - edited the fr24.sh file to add my sharing key and to 'uncomment' the feed feeder line.
                                - did ./fr24.sh to restart dump1090 and the feeder
                                - These images show the DUMP1090 web page and FR24 page at the time [no MLAT shown]
                                (note I do have hole slightly to the north of east and west due 'shadows' from the peaks of nearby house roofs, and in the direction of LHR)
                                Image4.jpgImage3.jpg

I've also listed the content of file /etc/network/interfaces below - mine autostarts, just check yours is similar
                                Code:
                                # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
                                auto lo
                                iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
                                iface eth0 inet dhcp
                                In case anyone is interested, this is how busy the Pi is
                                Code:
                                top - 07:41:37 up 38 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.82, 0.75, 0.65
                                Tasks:  55 total,   2 running,  52 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
                                %Cpu(s): 42.7 us, 12.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 43.4 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  1.7 si,  0.0 st
                                KiB Mem:    448736 total,    52000 used,   396736 free,     7212 buffers
                                KiB Swap:   101372 total,        0 used,   101372 free,    19204 cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
                                 1760 root      20   0 14696 4984  880 R  50.5  1.1   0:42.59 dump1090
                                 1761 root      20   0 20780 3132  676 S   4.2  0.7   0:03.05 fr24feed_arm-le
                                 1785 root      20   0  3088 1220  912 R   0.7  0.3   0:00.18 top
                                 1722 root      20   0  9212 2952 2372 S   0.3  0.7   0:01.34 sshd
                                    1 root      20   0  2096  696  600 S   0.0  0.2   0:01.65 init
                                    2 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthreadd
                                    3 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.06 ksoftirqd/0
                                    5 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kworker/0:0H
                                    6 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.31 kworker/u:0
                                Last edited by peterhr; 2014-03-01, 07:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X