Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responder,
    I think you have to be logged into Google, to access those files... I checked the link and I can see the files. I recall something similar happening to me once.
    Network address, you Putty (like old DOS style telnet) into the Pi and change the network setup.
    Sharing key, same goes, just to edit one line in a file.
    Easy as pie! We'll help when you get stuck :-)

Comment

• Hi Herman,

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
      Responder,
      I think you have to be logged into Google, to access those files... Easy as pie! We'll help when you get stuck :-)
      Easy as Pie hahaha like it.

I am logged into Google but I was looking in "old version" not "current version" D'oh lol. OK, So, I've downloaded the ZIP file, when extracted, it will be a .IMG file. What software will I require so that I can edit the .IMG file and insert my Network Addy and Sharing Key?

I'm only ascertaining what I need to know now and if easy enough, then I'll go onto eBay and buy a Pi model B tonight - I'll try and get one that's got the case and PSU :-)
      T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
      Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
      Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

• Originally posted by Responder View Post
        What software will I require so that I can edit the .IMG file and insert my Network Addy and Sharing Key?

I'm only ascertaining what I need to know now and if easy enough, then I'll go onto eBay and buy a Pi model B tonight - I'll try and get one that's got the case and PSU :-)
        Don't forget an SD card - the current software only needs 1Gb, but get an 8Gb ... it wont cost much more and we might need a bigger one later. (get two, then you can experiment on the second without destroying the set-up on the first - try doing that on Windows ... Microsoft piracy police would come after you for installing it twice! ... I hate installing windows - not the installing, it's all the updates that follow!)

Copy the image to the SD card using win32diskimager on the PC

Start a new windows explorer window on the PC (the SD card won't sho on an explorer that's already open). Right click the SD card drive letter and eject it.

Insert the SD card into the PI, apply power to the Pi and it will boot up - the SD card is it's hard disk.

[this is all in the PDF doc alongside the image]

Then you get to the hard bit - getting a character mode session on the Pi. Two ways
        * USB keyboard + TV screen
        * if you know the network address of the Pi, you use the putty application on the windows PC open an SSH session on the Pi over the network.

Comment

• Hi Peter,

I've already got a couple of Sandisk SD cards I can use. So, no problems there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here: So, I copy IMG file across to SD card - can't I just drag n drop in explorer?, put SD card into Pi, attach antenna, apply PSU, insert Ethernet lead (I can get the Pi IP off my modem list). I assume the Putty software is like DOS (as HermanZA said) and therefore, somewhere within the SD card, is the FR24 software where I just need to insert my sharing key. Power off Pi to reboot and I should connect and upload to FR24 servers?

If the above is ALL correct, I'll go and buy a Pi tonight and hopefully, should be up and running by the weekend :-)
          T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
          Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

• Originally posted by Responder View Post
            Hi Peter,

I've already got a couple of Sandisk SD cards I can use. So, no problems there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here: So, I copy IMG file across to SD card - can't I just drag n drop in explorer?, put SD card into Pi, attach antenna, apply PSU, insert Ethernet lead (I can get the Pi IP off my modem list). I assume the Putty software is like DOS (as HermanZA said) and therefore, somewhere within the SD card, is the FR24 software where I just need to insert my sharing key. Power off Pi to reboot and I should connect and upload to FR24 servers?

If the above is ALL correct, I'll go and buy a Pi tonight and hopefully, should be up and running by the weekend :-)
            I doubt if dragging and dropping would put all the bits required for booting into the right places on the card - this is dropping a disk image onto the card - not copying a file onto it

Get win32diskimager here http://sourceforge.net/projects/win3...files/Archive/

Comment

• Ahh OK, I understand now. Makes sense.

So, as you haven't corrected me on anything else, I can assume then that how I shall attempt to do this Pi is all good? :-)
              T-EGBB16

Comment

• Hi Peter,

I'm looking to get a PI but not sure which model to get. I was looking at getting the b+ but I saw that the image isn't ready yet for the B+.

Do you know how long the image will be ready for the b+ or would be safe to get the B.

Thanks in advance,
                Jon Hawke

Comment

• Difficult, I'm sure the B+ will be excellent - probably more suited than the B, Primarily because of of two technical features
                  1. Much better power to the USB
                  2. The memory card holder on the B+ is much more robust
                  also the layout looks much tidier

on the downside - if you want a video output - not HDMI - you'l need a specific lead with a 3.5mm plug

What we're waiting on first is the Dark Basic minimal release of Raspbarian to fully support the B+ ( see http://www.linuxsystems.it/raspbian-...minimal-image/ )

Then to do out software set up on top - with all these things doung the documents to go with it thake longere than the actual work.

And do remember that the people doing this are having to find time to do it at home ... during the week they have regular jobs so they can buy bacon sandwiches, etc. (that includes the guy doing the Raspbarian)

I think we'll get DarkBasic Raspbarian next week. I'm busy the week end after so won't get time to do the image - but there's no reason for someone else to have a go using the existing instructions with the new Raspbarian.

(BTW we're waiting for the cut down version because full raspbarian has a lot of bloat - in includes much stuff we just don't need)

The 20140701 version of DarkBasic - done for the B - almost works on the B+ ... except the network interface doesn't come up.

Comment

• Originally posted by papasven View Post
                    Good news bugging me for a long time this bug. MalcolmRobb is the first address for any code changes, by antirez the original maintainer is not a lot of movement for some time.
                    Malcolm told me that he will make a new version in a few days.
                    My fix solves the problem that speed and heading are not updated when the plane has landed. It cannot solve the erroneous extrapolation done by FR24. But the exptrapolation is done with the right speed and heading now, giving an acceptable result.
                    Last edited by Harrie45; 2014-07-24, 08:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harrie45 View Post
                      Malcolm told me that he will make a new version in a few days.
                      My fix solves the problem that speed and heading are not updated when the plane has landed. It cannot solve the erroneous extrapolation done by FR24. But the exptrapolation is done with the right speed and heading now, giving an acceptable result.
                      Excellent, we'll get that into the new build too

Comment

• Hello

I put a new dongle in raspberry, and now captures fewer planes.

You need to install everything again?

Comment

• Originally posted by ptruicp View Post
                          Hello

I put a new dongle in raspberry, and now captures fewer planes.

You need to install everything again?
                          nope - should be fine

Some people say you may have to ply with the dump1090 agc and gain parameters, I've not had to do it with the three dongles I have.

Comment

• Hi,

My PI B+ arrived this morning and installed the Raspbian minimal image and my device is reporting it is seeing the Network interface on the B+ Board.
                            I'd thought I like to share this information as you said that it doesn't show with the B+.

Im now going to install the software needed to get the dongle working. I'll post back if I get it working or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                              Hi,

My PI B+ arrived this morning and installed the Raspbian minimal image and my device is reporting it is seeing the Network interface on the B+ Board.
                              I'd thought I like to share this information as you said that it doesn't show with the B+.

Im now going to install the software needed to get the dongle working. I'll post back if I get it working or not.
                              Excellent - I'll give it another try, perhaps doing an update on the old B took something away.

... This turns out to be correct doing
                              Code:
                              apt-get update
                              apt-get upgrade
                              on one model Pi removes the networking capability if the SDcard is used in the other (means I'll have to make two images)
                              Last edited by peterhr; 2014-07-25, 17:10.

Comment

• I have a B+ running as a feeder - document to follow, adding WiFi motes since so many wanted to know how (I wonder if it will still fit a 1Gb card)

Comment

Working...
                                X