Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    don't know - the internal workings of the fr24 feed progarm are a mystery to me

I wonder is a 'sleep 5' might help before the fr24feed (maybe the network isn't quite ready)

---

the dot notation is the same in windows (except the / is replaced by \)

If it's working without the dot I don't know how it is.

check the non-comment lines of the script carefully.
    I have insert a line
    sleep 1
    beffore fr24feed, and by now made 10 power down and it has started every time. I will make more test over the next days (my indoor antenna and the dongle are on the balcony so I have to take them in when raining or I'm out. I'm waiting for cable.)
    Could this be the reason that "crontab" helps? If a feeder lives in an area where the main power is unstable then there is a risk that it reboots due to a power drop-out but wouldn't start-up because it hanging until the "crontab" reboot again?
    T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

Originally posted by attigliano View Post
      I have insert a line
      sleep 1
      beffore fr24feed, and by now made 10 power down and it has started every time. I will make more test over the next days (my indoor antenna and the dongle are on the balcony so I have to take them in when raining or I'm out. I'm waiting for cable.)
      Could this be the reason that "crontab" helps? If a feeder lives in an area where the main power is unstable then there is a risk that it reboots due to a power drop-out but wouldn't start-up because it hanging until the "crontab" reboot again?
      The more usual way to start processes when the system boots is to create services to do it
      - but creating services and making them work correctly is harder to do than just running a script from cron, and it puts all the files in one place.

cron - when it's process starts - checks to see if a REBOOT_FILE exists, if it doesn't cron runs the @reboot jobs and the REBOOT_FILE is created.

When linux starts up, another process runs clear out all these files that need to be cleared on reboot, this process is set to complete before cron starts.

One of the other services that is started is an NTP deamon to ensure that the system time is correct. and that helps ensure the timed cron jobs run at the right times.

I don't think doing stuff like this is about power reliability, it's more that if you can automate things, you don't have to remember to do them manually.

It does sound like your problem was that something wasn't ready that the FR24 feeder needed, the sleep gave the time needed.

Comment

Having some great issues with this, Got a Pi, cheating a little bit and using the prebuilt image, but I cannot seem to get this to work correctly.

I'be done all the manaual edits and such, but when I try to run fr24.sh I get this come up on terminal and then the pi hangs. If i attach a monitor, I get the message in 2013-08-30 19.00.20.jpg Any help?

Code:
        pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./fr24.sh
        fr24feed_arm-le_233s: no process found
        pi@raspberrypi ~ $ Found 1 device(s):
        0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 (currently selected)
        Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
        Max available gain is: 49.60
        Setting gain to: 49.60
        Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz
        Gain reported by device: 49.60
        after a reboot from this, if I run ./fr24.sh again,

Code:
        pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./fr24.sh
        fr24feed_arm-le_233s: no process found
        pi@raspberrypi ~ $ Found 1 device(s):
        0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 (currently selected)
        Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
        Max available gain is: 49.60
        Setting gain to: 49.60
        Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz
        Gain reported by device: 49.60
        cb transfer status: 1, canceling...
        and unable to get the http://<ip address of Pi>:8080 dump1090 to display...
        Last edited by chrisbr; 2013-08-30, 18:04.

Comment

[QUOTE=chrisbr;37526]Having some great issues with this, Got a Pi, cheating a little bit and using the prebuilt image, but I cannot seem to get this to work correctly.

I'be done all the manaual edits and such, but when I try to run fr24.sh I get this come up on terminal and then the pi hangs. If i attach a monitor, I get the message in 2013-08-30 19.00.20.jpg Any help?

To be honest I don't know if anyone has downloaded the image I put up - you may be the first...

and unable to get the http://<ip address of Pi>:8080 dump1090 to display...

try not using the fr24.sh script for now

login

do

cd dump1090
          ./dump1090 --net --interactive

dump1090 should start listing planes it can see

http://192.168.1.90:8080 from your windows / mac PC should show the map

If you get crash errors like in the picture, something is wrong - try a download of wheezy from the raspbarian site - drop it onto another SD card (to verify the pi is OK)

if you get no problems, try my image onto the same card - we know the card should be good, it might be my upload / google storage / your download has gone wonky somewhere.

I'll look to put an MD5 hash up so the downloads can be verified (probably won't get to it today though)

Comment

To be honest I don't know if anyone has downloaded the image I put up - you may be the first...
            Sorry Peter (I sometimes think people are mind-readers) it is your image I'm using and it runs fine now.

Poul
            Last edited by attigliano; 2013-08-30, 19:06.
            T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

Sorry Peter it is your image I'm using and it runs fine now.

Poul
              Thanks Poul

On you cron job, try
              @reboot sleep 5;/home/pi/fr24.sh

and take the sleep out of the fr24.sh script.

This delays the initial startup a little, but lets the restarts be quicker - let's see how this works.

Chrisbr: if the download is fine - then it may be your SD card is suspect .. Poul is now an expert at getting this going

Comment

Thanks Poul Poul is now an expert at getting this going
                NOOOOOOO

I only have 1 sec sleep (sleep 1) I have tried with 0.5 and 0.75 sec it didn't work I don't know if this Linux version only accept integer or 1 sec is minimum at my place?

Poul

Comment

@Chrisbr: Did you resize the filesystem to fill the card? (Peters doc. Setup the SD Card)

How big is your card? I'm using a 8GB.

Poul

Comment

@Chrisbr: Did you resize the filesystem to fill the card? (Peters doc. Setup the SD Card)

How big is your card? I'm using a 8GB.

Poul
                    I'm using 8Gb too - but I set it up (and had it running) on 2Gb when I wrote the doc ... was a bit tight for space.

I had to use 2GB or the image file would have been huge and would have only restored onto a bigger card

---

By the way, I put up edited script files etc. to reflect these discussions - updating and replacing the image is a big task that I don't have time for right now.
                    Where new files are txt - it's so people can view them ... make them .sh (or whatever on your Pi) - just use the content.

---

When you have got this going, get a new SD card and try to build it from scratch - learning exercise.
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-08-30, 19:48.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, been having another play.... not got anywhere yet!

Using a 4GB card which came with the pi, Yes have expanded the filesystem, rebooted etc. However seems suspect that windows says that card is only a 52MB one.. Weird..

Comment

Okay, re-downloaded the image again, reflashed to card, all seems good, run fr24.sh, no issues as before.

Do a quick test with just running the dump software and only seems to grab the one aircraft, perhaps because it's 9pm ish here, so not many flying past, could have sworn I get more when running it on windows.....

Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 20.51.00.png

however, I cannot get the dump1090 website to upload on my internal IP http://192.168.1.90:8080/

Strange....

Comment

damn. reboot the pi, run fr24.sh again, system crash. Grrr....

Comment

Originally posted by chrisbr View Post
                            Sorry for the delay, been having another play.... not got anywhere yet!

Using a 4GB card which came with the pi, Yes have expanded the filesystem, rebooted etc. However seems suspect that windows says that card is only a 52MB one.. Weird..
                            The card need to be formatted and you can't use windows to do that google for SDFormatter and download and use that.

Poul

Comment

Right, reformatted the card with SDFormatter, then used Win32DiskImager to copy the image on to my SD card, then I expanded the filesystem, and made the manual edit using nano to fr24.sh

upon running ./fr24.sh, I get the following:

PHP Code:
                              pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./fr24.sh
                              fr24feed_arm
                              -le_233sno process found
                              pi
                              @raspberrypi ~ $ Found 1 device(s):
                              0RealtekRTL2838UHIDIRSN00000001 (currently selected)
                              Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
                              Max available gain is
                              Setting gain to
                              Exact sample rate is
                              2000000.052982 Hz
                              Gain reported by device
                              I assume this is what it is supposed to do? however, I still cant get the dump1090 website to work on http://192.168.1.90:8080.

If i then killall dump1090 and then go into running the command "./dump1090 --net --interactive"

I then get this:

PHP Code:
                              Hex     Mode  Sqwk  Flight   Alt    Spd  Hdg    Lat      Long   Sig  Msgs   Ti\
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              4ca640  S                                                        19     1    0
                              cb transfer status
                              1canceling... 
                              and the dump website still dozen't work.

truly at a loss what to do now? Could it be that my dongle isn't compatible? It looks exactly like the one at the beginning of this thread and works on windows using rtl1090

Comment

First block seems normal,

Second block ... no planes, ... has the antenna plug fallen out?

It might be something simple.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                                X