Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhr View Post
    Image updated
    document updated to say how to deploy image (found an error in a script on the image - document says how to fix it during deployment)
    doc & image are here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UE&usp=sharing
    Thanks for the document and the image file!
    I will test it out if I get the equipment, will be over 3 4 weeks...

First officer
    Thanks for all your hard work Peterhr! I will for sure make use of it. Will let you know how it goes.

First officer
    Peterhr - So far I got my RasPI, just awaiting on a USB dongle to arrive (4 from different parts of the world coming to me). Downloaded and installed your image on the PI, so far without any hassles. Will see how it goes once I have the dongle to connect to it.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by HermanZA View Post
    Peterhr - So far I got my RasPI, just awaiting on a USB dongle to arrive (4 from different parts of the world coming to me). Downloaded and installed your image on the PI, so far without any hassles. Will see how it goes once I have the dongle to connect to it.
    Excellent - Did you remember to order an MCX adaptor see http://www.maplin.co.uk/pocket-tv-mc...adaptor-625579 for pictures - the antenna socket on the tuner is tiny, and it's frustrating to have to wait for one to arrive to be able to connect the better aerial you've just made.

Off topic. A "beagleboard black" has just arrived - will try that with the dongle - should be much faster than the PI at similar cost (have some home decorating to do first though).

First officer
    Since I am not sure what connectors to expect on the dongles due to arrive, no, I haven't ordered such yet. With the RasPI it would be possible to go to the roof for 6m above ground antenna placement, while I then can get a better antenna for the setup and get the cable and connector sorted out. Have an antenna manufacturer that can make me a dipole, and have the instructions for 2 different DIY models. Seems the "spidertenna" is the better one.
    I should be able to get connectors locally...

Having said that, I'm curious about the coverage I would get from my roof vs. a high site I have access to. Real unobstructed view of the horizon from about 55m above ground. Only problem is EM noise on there.

Which brings me to an off topic: How sensitive is 1090mHz for EM noise and from other weather phenomena such as rain/thunder cells?
    Last edited by HermanZA; 2013-08-28 at 12:31.

Captain
    The dongle usually comes with a whip antenna about 150mm on a magnetic mount with maybe a 1.3m cable - no adapters.

Adapters from ebay maybe,,,

Flight attendant
    I have my Raspberry PI up and running now for at least 4 months and working fine
    With 5 meters ECOFLEX15 Plus and TMRF-1090.

http://82.75.94.67/VirtualRadar/
    Last edited by T-EHTW3; 2014-02-04 at 14:07. Reason: ip change

First officer
    T-EHTW3 : And it just keeps on working, in the true sense of a Linux device? No need for reboots or anything ?

Flight attendant
    No need te reboot at all, it keeps on working

Quote Originally Posted by peterhr View Post
    The dongle usually comes with a whip antenna about 150mm on a magnetic mount with maybe a 1.3m cable - no adapters.
    I got one from http://1090mhz.com/ today and a SMA to MCX adapter was included.

Poul