Free Planespotting Database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Planespotting Database?

Can anyone tell me whether there exists an online database that is "free" and is designed for planespotting? By this, I mean a site where you can search a registration, and then "log" that you have seen that aircraft? I have seen a few sites that do this for a price, but am curious if there is a free alternative out there. I currently am trying to create a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet where I can log the same information, but am having a few issues. First, since I am NOT an aircraft expert and am new to the hobby, sometimes I am unsure how to log the aircraft type so as to be consistent. For instance, N910EV is listed on some sites as a CL-600-2B19, and on others as a Canadair CRJ200ER, and on others as a Bombardier CRJ200ER. I realize that they are probably ALL correct, I just don't know the "correct" way to log it. My second issue is WHAT information to include in a logbook. On one hand I think just the rego, type, date and place seen. On the other hand, I see that some people include an insane amount of information such as CN, LN, operator, engine type, frame type, date and location seen, previous rego's, previous operators, Mode-S (oct) code, Mode-S (hex) code, etc, etc, etc.........

As a "new" planespotter, can some of you experienced folks give a "little" bit of direction on these issues to get me headed in the right direction? Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by SWMcCaig; 2013-08-04, 16:53.

Hi,

I use spot2log and it's only £12. very good.

I usually log on paper, then type them in.
    Interested in all Austrian (any registrations beginning OE) info and using a DVB-T Dongle with Basestation.

Comment

I too have tried the demo of Spot2log. However, it still doesn't erase the "inconsistencies" in how aircraft are named and listed.....As stated in the example above, three different sites name the same aircraft three different ways...Is there some kind of standard, or does everyone just wing it? This is why using a "free" online database seemed like such a good idea, because at least all of the same type of aircraft should be listed the same way. Also, the second option of creating a spreadsheet doesn't seem like too bad of an idea, but being "new" to the hobby, I'm still unsure what fields "should" be included other than rego, date/time/location, cn, and aircraft type.

Comment

I mainly use these two as they use the same basic format.

You could also cross reference the ICAO code for the Aircraft and then use this site to list the Aircraft in the format that's used.
        Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-08-04, 23:38.
        AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
          I mainly use these two as they use the same basic format.

You could also cross reference the ICAO code for the Aircraft and then use this site to list the Aircraft in the format that's used.
          http://www.scribd.com/doc/121715806/...ON-2012-PART-2
          Good information Speedbird. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Got some great feedback on the first part of the question, but never heard from anyone on the second part......How detailed does everyone think that an aircraft spotters log should be? Those of you that actually keep a log please give examples of what data fields you include in your log. Thanks everyone.

Comment

I have been contrail spotting for a few months and I log; Direction, Flight No, Airline, A/c type, From, To, A/c registration, Time (BST)

Comment

Plane Spotters Database

Originally posted by Tony15 View Post
                I have been contrail spotting for a few months and I log; Direction, Flight No, Airline, A/c type, From, To, A/c registration, Time (BST)
                I have created a website called Spotted Planes for plane spotters to log aircraft they see, take a look http://spottedplanes.co.uk Its free to sign up and use and already has over 100 members.

There is a leaderboard to see who has spotted the most aircraft and also you can view the logs of all members so you might even strike up a friendship with another spotter nearby.

Gavin

Comment

Hi SpottedPlanes,
                  Looked at your logbook/database; the thought of inputting around 1200 sightings is a little offputting. It would be a lot easier if there was some automation, i.e A/c reg input generates A/c type and airline.
                  Regards, Tony

Comment

Adding lots of aircraft to your log in bulk

Hi SpottedPlanes,
                    Looked at your logbook/database; the thought of inputting around 1200 sightings is a little offputting. It would be a lot easier if there was some automation, i.e A/c reg input generates A/c type and airline.
                    Regards, Tony
                    Hi,

Yes I understand your concern however what you want would require lots of linked databases which would cost me lots of money and loads of time to set up and I only run the website as a hobby at my own expense.

What may help you is that when you fill in the fields it will auto complete based on previous data you have entered, try it you'll see. Alternatively, you can download the bulk add template (from My Aircraft Area page) which can be used in excel, you may find it easier to add bulk details in the spreadsheet, once complete send it to the admin email address and I can import it into the database for you.

Hope this helps and hope to see you signed up.

Gavin

Comment

Thanks Rich,
                      At the moment I am up to my ears developing a financial trading spreadsheet. I will have a look at your website in a few days time and let you know my thoughts on it. No pressure just now we have had 10/10 cloud for days with no clear skies in sight. (I am a contrail spotter).
                      Regards Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by perryworld
                        Hi,

We are in the process of developing a web site at http://theplanespotterscommunity.co.uk

This is free to register and it allows you to log your aircraft as well as upload images and link to you YouTube videos.
                        We also have an extension for the Chrome browser which interfaces with FlightRadar allowing you to capture the details and put them directly into your account (we would send this once you have registered and been activated by our admin)
                        There is a cut down version available on the mobile to allow you to capture details while out and about.

It will allow you to view all logged aircraft and airport movements.
                        We do have an import facility which will take in an excel csv file in our pre-defined format although we could upload it for you if neccessary.

Take a look and let us know what you think.

Cheers.
                        Rich
                        Hi Rich.

I love the concept of it and the way it interfaces with Flightradar24.

I was half way through registering, but backed out due to your terms and conditions.

The part where it states you will use my personal data was the stopping point for me, as you are asking for my phone numbers, address and date of birth.

Only my Amazon or Ebay would need that information.

Comment

Originally posted by perryworld
                          Hi speedbird1960

Only the fields marked with an * are required so you can omit the ones you mention

Cheers
                          Rich
                          Hi Rich.

I will take another look at it tomorrow, the Mobile Version looks fantastic.
                          Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-10-02, 13:18.

Comment

Hi Rich.

I have had a quick test of the Extension and it logs the data with ease.
                            Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-10-01, 16:51. Reason: Report about broken link removed as its been fixed.

Comment

Hi SpottedPlanes,
                              Regards, Tony
                              Take a look at http://www.planelogger.com - it has a database of aircraft registrations, so you just need to enter the registration and it will look up all the data for you. Use the "Add Multiple Sightings" form to add all your 1200 sightings in one go - very easy.

The site also has one of the largest registration databases available online.

Best of all, it's free!

Comment

Working...
                              X