Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Planespotting Database?

Flight attendant
    Thanks Rich,
    At the moment I am up to my ears developing a financial trading spreadsheet. I will have a look at your website in a few days time and let you know my thoughts on it. No pressure just now we have had 10/10 cloud for days with no clear skies in sight. (I am a contrail spotter).
    Regards Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by perryworld View Post
    Hi,

We are in the process of developing a web site at http://theplanespotterscommunity.co.uk

This is free to register and it allows you to log your aircraft as well as upload images and link to you YouTube videos.
    We also have an extension for the Chrome browser which interfaces with FlightRadar allowing you to capture the details and put them directly into your account (we would send this once you have registered and been activated by our admin)
    There is a cut down version available on the mobile to allow you to capture details while out and about.

It will allow you to view all logged aircraft and airport movements.
    We do have an import facility which will take in an excel csv file in our pre-defined format although we could upload it for you if neccessary.

Take a look and let us know what you think.

Cheers.
    Rich
    Hi Rich.

I love the concept of it and the way it interfaces with Flightradar24.

I was half way through registering, but backed out due to your terms and conditions.

The part where it states you will use my personal data was the stopping point for me, as you are asking for my phone numbers, address and date of birth.

Only my Amazon or Ebay would need that information.
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Quote Originally Posted by perryworld View Post
    Hi speedbird1960

Only the fields marked with an * are required so you can omit the ones you mention

Cheers
    Rich
    Hi Rich.

I will take another look at it tomorrow, the Mobile Version looks fantastic.
    Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-10-02 at 13:18.

Hi Rich.

I have had a quick test of the Extension and it logs the data with ease.
    Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-10-01 at 16:51. Reason: Report about broken link removed as its been fixed.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony15 View Post
    Hi SpottedPlanes,
    Looked at your logbook/database; the thought of inputting around 1200 sightings is a little offputting. It would be a lot easier if there was some automation, i.e A/c reg input generates A/c type and airline.
    Regards, Tony
    Take a look at http://www.planelogger.com - it has a database of aircraft registrations, so you just need to enter the registration and it will look up all the data for you. Use the "Add Multiple Sightings" form to add all your 1200 sightings in one go - very easy.

The site also has one of the largest registration databases available online.

Best of all, it's free!

Flight attendant
    Gavin
    You're database is great, absolutely loving it, keep it up!
    All the best
    Dylan (dylanfa7x)

Passenger
    Hi SWM
    I have been spotting a good number of years and my logs are in an Excel spreadsheet, column headings are..

PREFIX / REG / EX REG / CON NO / MAKER / TYPE / DATE SEEN / WHERE / HEX CODE / REMARKS

Ex Reg I only put the last one, and I added hex code 2 years ago, because lots of spotting is done on from the SBS
    as I live near LHR

In the case of U.S.A. I have split it into 1's (i.e. 1,10-19,100-199, 1000-19999)
    2's (2, 20-29, 200- 299, 2000-20000) e.t.c, I am sure you get the idea. The last letter(s) in a column on their own.
    Doing U.S.A. in straight number format soon became unwealdy, especially after having been to Oshkosh.
    H.T.H.
    Terry

Passenger
    Hi Rich
    Thank you very much for your interest but....I have had a look and decided it was not for me.
    As stated I have been spotting for many years (and consequently am a crotchety old man) and quite happy to continue as I am. A quick count up shows my logs as a little over 43,500, so am reluctant to put them (or part of them) at 'risk'.
    I am not particularly computer 'savvy', I think they are wonderful, it's just a shame the programmers aren't blessed with a little common sense. I am not a fan of Google, I have had a little problem with them, when I went to use my Googlemail email account in Germany (at Hahnweide) last month, they blocked it. Very sensible for an account you are supposed to be able to use worldwide, yes I did use the correct password and yes I have used it in Europe & India before.
    I have an SBS 1er, which I use pretty much daily, I am not a frequent FR24 user, but I do prefer it to Planefinder.
    I suspect your mobile version will not work too well on my Nokia 6310i , and I have no inclination to 'upgrade'.
    If you would like to explain what you need in the way of 'a cut down version' of my spreadsheet, I will do my best to oblige.
    Please don't take any of the above as getting at you personally, remember I am a crotchety old man.
    Thanks again & have fun
    Terry

Passenger

Updates to the site

Quote Originally Posted by dylanjgrant View Post
    Gavin
    You're database is great, absolutely loving it, keep it up!
    All the best
    Dylan (dylanfa7x)
    Thanks Dylan, really appreciate the feedback.

I've made some recent updates to the website, so since last year you can now, edit or delete aircraft you have logged.

More recently, I've added lots of spotting statistics which allows users to see reports of their complete log, showing things like locations, aircraft type, registration or airline, so this is really good for analyising trends in your spotting.

We've over 200 members and 20,000 aircraft logged soon hoping to add photo upload to the logs.

Gavin

Passenger
    You may want to give SpottingLog - www.spottinglog.com a try, just launched for mobile and desktop users allowing for unlimited trips, sightings, photos and use, advert free as well. You can signup for a free trial if you wanted?
    ===

Kind regards
    Simon Fewkes

EASA PPL (A)
    Keen Aviation Photographer
    www.spottinglog.com