Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FR24 Feeder Hardware Discussion Thread

Super Moderator

FR24 Feeder Hardware Discussion Thread

Area to ask posters questions/help about their setups and suggestions from this thread
    http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FR24-hardware
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2013-07-05 at 01:29.

What not to do with your setup

I thought I'd kick this off with something a bit different. A what not to do with your setup as a warning to others about what can go wrong. My setup was going well, I thought, with a mast (capably)? installed by myself and my son approx 7-8 or so metres high, range out to in some directions just over 200nm (bearing in mind I live in something of a hollow). Post (existing treated pine log approx. 8ft high which surround our rear garden/fernery) firmly anchored to the ground with concrete and a few added extra star pickets, and 2 sets of guy wires up the mast. All was good. I was a happy little uploader. A 1090SJ mk2 on top, amplifier mounted on mast and SBS-1 basestation receiver at the wall just inside the house. Cable type etc doesnt matter now- it no longer exists as it was blown down during a storm late last year by a little over 100km/h winds and has been replaced (see pics below, pre and post storm). It's an awful feeling to plug your receiver back into the external antenna after a storm has past and find no aircraft displaying at all. I'll cover the new instal etc in a later post.

PRE STORM.jpgPOST STORM.jpg

Dont let this happen to you, avoid dodgey brothers installs wherever possible. Get a professional if and when necessary.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-07-09 at 12:52. Reason: to reflect post being in correct place

Passenger
    Hey fungus, that's a discone on the left? You use it for scanning?
    The guy wires seem to be too close for the higher antenna mast, if they were more open it might have been there.
    Mine is still on construction but i'll take a few pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by leosedf View Post
    Hey fungus, that's a discone on the left? You use it for scanning?
    The guy wires seem to be too close for the higher antenna mast, if they were more open it might have been there.
    Mine is still on construction but i'll take a few pics soon.
    Yes it is and was used for my basestation originally. I wouldnt recommend it as its a 25-1300MHz (from memory broad range thing which I've found excellent for airband but isnt ideal for our use on 1090MHz). That's another story entirely. The guy wires were at the required 10ft spacing on the 1090SJ but is somewhat distorted by the pic angle. Perhaps though 3 sets of guy wires would have helped a great deal.

Regards,
    Gregg

Forgot to add, there is also a tuned airband antenna that cant be seen in the pic on that mast with the discone.
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-07-09 at 12:53. Reason: additional info and to reflect post being in correct place

Passenger
    Haven't tried a market discone for air band.

Judging by the first image, the bottom of the guy wires were anchored too close to the pole?
    Rob, VK6UFO
    F-YPPH3
    o410E

Quote Originally Posted by VK6UFO View Post
    Judging by the first image, the bottom of the guy wires were anchored too close to the pole?
    Rob,

Again the angle of the pic distorts that somewhat but by the same token spot on mate. Very astute piece of observation. Unfortunately (in hindsight) where the mast was located I realised I couldnt get the guy wire anchorage on all sides far enough away from it- a very expensive lesson all round. I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that due to the extra solid mast anchorage and complying with the positioning requirements re the location of the guy wire brackets on the mast that I would overcome that limitation. 3 sets of guy wires may have helped as I noted in the post above but we'll never know. Dont tell anyone either but the distance at the base of the guy wires from each other (that is the 'triangle' formation) wasnt exactly as it should have been either. Obviously maths a physics are not my strong suits.

I'm just very glad the antenna survived (and that no damage was done to the roof, skylights or other antennas) so that I was able to start again but do it right this time- the pro's mounted the mast on the roof ridge capping- I just bolted the 1090SJ onto the mast. I'll do a post on the new setup soon. It's decidedly better all round.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-07-10 at 08:45.

I'm in a similar position with a couple of poles. Putting guys on them would get in the way of people walking around. Another one would only have three sides guyed and of course the prevailing winds come from the side not guyed.
    I replaced all the poles with large diameter aluminium so hopefully there will be a lot of bend and flex but no break and snap :-)
    Rob, VK6UFO
    F-YPPH3
    o410E

Passenger
    I am a newbie here . Can I use the RTL2832U/E4000 or newer RTL2832U/R820T chip/tuner combinations with a mac computer to feed data to flight radar or only with windows.

Captain
    You can run off linux - it is what I'm using on the Raspberry Pi (when it's on)