Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Show / Describe your FR24 hardware

Passenger
    Receiver: Raspberry Pi 3 + cheapo DVB-T stick (When the FA Pro Stick is back in stock in Europe I will buy/use that in combination with the FA filter I already have)
    Antenna: FlightAware antenna
    Cables/Connectors: 17 meters of KOKA 9 TS (total loss in this cable alone should be around 1.25 dB.)
    Pigtail/step down adaptors: MCX - F pigtail, short piece of flat coaxial cable and F-N adapter for the antenna.
    Software: PiAware 3.1.0
    Comments: The KOKA cable runs underneath the rooftiles and above the insulation. Antenna is placed at about 7 meters above ground.
    The flat coax is needed (no way of drilling holes through exterior walls or anything like that) which runs between window and window frame.
    This short piece of coax does have a negative effect on the results though...
    I'm feeding Flightradar24, FlightAware and Planefinder.

ADS-B RPi3 PiAware 3 by Iemand91, on Flickr

FlightAware antenna by Iemand91, on Flickr

Results:

FA antenna Planefinder range through flat coax by Iemand91, on Flickr

ADS-B range rings through flat coax by Iemand91, on Flickr

Compare that without the (needed) flat coax:

FA antenna Planefinder range directly by Iemand91, on Flickr

ADS-B range rings directly by Iemand91, on Flickr
    Last edited by Iemand91; 2016-10-01 at 19:50.

Flight attendant
    Hi Guys, thought I would upload a few images of the new antenna mast and set-up for the standard FR24 kit supplied to me:

Img_8312.jpg
    New Antenna Mast (Sectional) with a 3m 2" mast inserted at the top to give height another 1m

Img_8314.jpg
    IP55 Boxes with 2x Power Sources, I box with FR24 Decoder, the other box is spare to insert a RASPi or Beast with an Antenna at differing height.

Img_8315.jpg
    New Coverage area, well extended now East/South East.
    Rings are Statute Miles not Nautical Miles.
    If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

First officer
    Outdated. Stuff changed, no photo's yet.
    Last edited by Jarod; 2017-06-25 at 10:43.

Passenger
    F-KCSG2

[RECEIVER]
    FR24 supplied receiver

[ANTENNA]
    FR24 supplied antenna, up ~20ft

[Cables/Connectors]
    FR24 supplied RF cable from the antenna to a self built RF filter, then six inch jumper from the filter to the FR24 receiver

[COMMENTS]
    The site the ADS-B receiver is a commercial FM music broadcast site with several kilowatt transmitters. Line of Site distance is approx. 25 miles in any given direction from this site.

There are several cellular carriers within rock throwing distance, and a few 940MHz transmitters, with their antennas an arm's length away.

Originally, the best range I could get was about 88nm. Having some experience in this field, I decided to add an inline RF filter before the receiver. The receivers in any of the DVB-T dongles, or SDR have very poor performing filters, if they have any at all.

This means, that even in a neighborhood, or any urbanized area, unknown amounts of RF are preventing you receiver from getting best performance.

I sought to purchase a already filter, like the ones from Flightaware, and some of the Chinese counterfeits. However, most of these are have a band pass well over 100MHz, meaning, they do not block 800/900MHz cellular, and 940MHz transmissions.

The one I built drops the 940MHz stuff by 50dB, and attenuation gets higher as you get further away in frequency, be it higher or lower.

Because of my filter, the range went from 88nm to 265nm.

@KB9LFZ:

Very interesting. Can you please give some details about your DIY filter? Photos and sketches will be added help.

Passenger

Lightbulb Presentation of my ADS-B-Reception setup after one year of Feeding to FR24

Dear Flightradar-Feeders and ADS-B-Fanatics,

according to my FR24-Statistics page, I have been First seen online 2016-06-13 09:49:20

For this 1-year-anniversary I am very proud to present my actual hardware for the reception and processing of ADS-B-Signals. Please feel free to comment about its pros and cons.

First of all, I wasted nearly a whole year fumbling around with different USB-Cables connecting the DVB-T-Stick and 5V-Power-Adaptors for the Raspberry Pi Using the wrong cable or a poor power supply will result in dump1090 crashing, since there is not enough voltage left for the stick. Finally after about 1 year the whole stuff is running stable to my satisfaction.

Actually, I am using a homebrew 8-elements-collinear-antenna made of coaxial-cable hauled from an abandoned satellite-dish-installation. The antenna resides in a 16mm-PVC-tube and is attached near the roof of my flat in Karlsruhe, Germany (my landlord is cool with that and the these powerlines seem closer as they are ). Height above ground is about 10 meters:

20170611_105846.jpg

There is a little sight-obstruction to eastern directions by the roof, but I have no better possibility for the installation. (maybe one day, a biquad and another receiver will add more coverage to that orientation). The antenna is designed like the following schematic:

Bild9-32.gif

After more than 5 meters (or about 20 wavelengths) of the same coaxial-cable the antenna is made of, the signals reach the receiver, which is housed in an empty PSU-case:

20170611_105923.jpg

As one can see, both the 230V-inlet connector for non-heating apparatus and the cooling-fan (running at 5V now) are still in use. please take a closer look at the unplugged device:

20170610_140611.jpg

The ethernet-connector sits at the former place of the 110/220V-switch (had to do a little rasping, though). Fun fact: the washers and the nuts holding the connector in place have been hauled from an old tube radio The next and final picture of my setup shows the inner life:

20170610_140918.jpg

It is featuring a NooElec R820T2-Stick connected to a Raspberry Pi B running a minibian installation with dump1090-mutability. The power-supply is connected via terminal-strips to the power-switch of the PSU (hidden under that red cluster of duct tape). It was still a little creepy doing that wiring, but the metal-case is grounded, so what?

I stated a little decrease in processed signals since I switched to the new case setup compared to the flying construction I had used before. see the following posting for yesterday's reception report... I am blaming the high-frequency interference inside the case or the newly installed BNC-SMA-pigtail-cable (the MCX-connector at the stick was replaced by SMA for contact reasons, I recommend doing that urgently) therfor. My next projects for improving range and signal strength are using entirely 50-Ohms for antenna, cable and connectors (actually, there are also belling-lee plugs used ) and optionally some kind of Low Noise Amplifier+Filter.

Since I cannot post URLs yet and I don't wanna get my Raspberry to be DDOS'ed, please PN me for a temporary link to the http-server provided by dump1090, if wanted.

Kind regards from Germany,
    Michael
    Last edited by T-EDSB36; 2017-06-14 at 20:27.

Passenger
    Yesterday's report, due to limit of 5 pictures/post:

2017-06-12.jpg

Waterfall-Diagram of the signal at 1090 MHz, that reaches the receiver:

19126238_1442987695762748_1509905699_o.jpg
    Last edited by T-EDSB36; 2017-06-13 at 19:33.

Wow,what a great idea,might have a crack at one like this myself.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by GitseBase View Post
    Receiver(s)
    FR24 receiver

Antenna(s)
    FR24 supplied 1090 MHz

Software
    Virtual Radar Server
    ADSB Scope
    ModeSMixer

Range
    FR24 Receiver range from VRS with Range Rings at 25nm increments up to 225nm.

The gap to the west is caused by my neighbors two story house with a large roof (almost a whole floor in height )
    The gap to the north-west is from a park with tall palm trees across the street.
    As there is no east-west traffic in range of the feeder there is a nice gap towards the south.

FR24 Receiver range from VRS with Altitude Range at 25nm increments up to 225nm.

Setup

The galvanized steel pipe is 0.47m (1ft 6") above ground level.
    The FR24 antenna base is at at 10.6m (34ft 9") above ground level while the other antennas are at 5m (16ft 4") above ground level.

The FR24 coax cable is just long enough to reach the top of my window where the feeder is located so that's why I could not put the antenna any higher.

I plan on moving the PlaneFinder and FligtAware antennas to the top and change the construction resulting in a height of 13.5m (44ft 3") above ground level for the antennas. But it's going to take a lot of planning and work.
    Hello, I am not an expert and would like to ask a basic question:
    Is there a reason to have 1 antenna for each system or would one antenna connected on RPi feeding the 3 websites give the same results ?
    Thank you for your guidance and best regards

First officer
    You can feed multiple websites from one RPi using just the one antenna.