This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Ronny Jonckers:

Hope you new coaxial collinear will give you better results.

While trying to make a collinear antenna, it is always good to have another antenna as reference or benchmark for comparison. A Cantenna is a good reference antenna and is very easy to make. What you need is an empty beer or pepsi can and a F barrel connector. See this post on how to make it:

3 EASY ANTTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS The main disadvantages of stock antenna supplied with DVB-T USB Dongle are: (1) It has a very short lead. Due to this, in most cases the antenna cannot be placed at an optimum location. (2) The stock antenna is not optimized for 1090 Mhz. SOLUTION FOR PROBLEM (1): The short cable

Comment

After precise adjustment my coco I stretch the range from 81nm to 141nm… 141nm.jpg
      The cable i’m used is the 75 Ohm 707CRT2. Total height antenna (roof top) is 6 meters.
      I made eight pieces of 112.75 mm (1/2 wave).20160823_150433_HDR.jpg
      Next week I'm going to make a PCB antenna and hope to get a greater range,
      otherwise it remains the coco
      Last edited by Ronny Jonckers; 2016-08-31, 08:53.

Comment

Today I went up to the roof where the antenna is installed for some maintenance. The antenna is a 12 segment co-co and I get around 180nm max range over 270 degrees of sight. Is made from RG6, duct tape, and zip ties to hold the segments in place.
        IMG_6565.jpgIMG_6562.jpg
        Last edited by yeu1; 2016-09-03, 22:12.

Comment

1. the whole week around 140 nm with my coco and now suddenly 195nm without changing anything… How do you explain that
          2. Coco with LNA4all but without filter gives more bad result than the coco without LNA.
          I'm still waiting for the filter, that's for next week (Flightaware filter from Ebay) also the experiment with the PCB antenna (which is almost ready)...

Comment

Originally posted by RIN67630 View Post
            Here is my new construction for a friend:
            The Jpole construction:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7349[/ATTACH]
            The antenna with the PVC boom:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7350[/ATTACH]
            The receiver, Raspi and power supply:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7351[/ATTACH]
            The almost finished unit:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7352[/ATTACH]

It will be tested for a week or two just outside on the balcony.

Then it will get onto the roof.
            I'll post the diagrams then.
            Wehre did you get this outdoor box? I am buidling new radar and I need box exactly like this...

Comment

Originally posted by djborec View Post
              Wehre did you get this outdoor box? I am buidling new radar and I need box exactly like this...
              This is a Weatherproof Junction Box. Depending on the location you'll place it make sure it is fit for your weather conditions.
              F-SMZO2

Comment

Hey everyone, after sometime and a new feeder I decided to build a more "pro" case for my feeders since they stay in the roof! The antennas remain the same, one FA Antenna, one CanTenna and one dongle antenna!

IMG_6493.jpgIMG_6494.jpg
                IMG_6495.jpgIMG_6497.jpg
                Last edited by dudesjp; 2016-09-11, 01:57.
                T-SBCT5/T-SBCT6

Comment

Originally posted by GitseBase View Post
                  This is a Weatherproof Junction Box. Depending on the location you'll place it make sure it is fit for your weather conditions.
                  Yes I currently have waterproof box, but for my next radar I want something smaller with antenna connection on side and rj45 on other side (so exactly like one on picture) and was not able to find shop where to buy it.

My current POE box looks like this:
                  Photo 10.09.16 17 30 05.jpgPhoto 23.08.16 0 15 03.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dudesjp View Post
                    Hey everyone, after sometime and a I new feeder I decided to build a more "pro" case for my feeders since they stay in the roof! The antennas remain the same, one FA Antenna, one CanTenna and one dongle antenna!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8013[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8014[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]8015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8016[/ATTACH]
                    Looks good!
                    Care to give some more details about your setup? (height, range .etc..etc..)

Does the FA feeder come with an LCD?
                    F-SMZO2

Comment

Originally posted by GitseBase View Post
                      Looks good!
                      Care to give some more details about your setup? (height, range .etc..etc..)

Does the FA feeder come with an LCD?
                      Hey, thank you!
                      No, no problem! Well, the first one is a Pi 2 with a normal isdb-t stick and a cheap antenna from AliExpress, this one I never did the range plot, but soon I'll change de antenna! The middle one is one Pi B+ with the FlightAware Pro Stick (without case because the heat) and a CanTenna that i made following the tutorial that are here in the forum by @abcd567, this one I did the range plot (photo bellow) and is pretty good for a home-made antenna! And the last one are the new FA Feeder, the Orange Box, which is a Pi 3 with the Pro Stick and come with a LCD where you can setup the gain, backlight, reboot and see the status, this one is with the FA antenna and I received him last week (that is why I built this box) and so the Virtual Radar is doing the range plot right now, soon I'll have for compare, but I already can see that my range has increased! And the hub are a TP-Link with 8 ports, normal one!

Each circle have 100km diameter!
                      ProStick 2.png
                      Last edited by dudesjp; 2016-09-11, 02:04.
                      T-SBCT5/T-SBCT6

Comment

Receiver: Raspberry Pi 3 + cheapo DVB-T stick (When the FA Pro Stick is back in stock in Europe I will buy/use that in combination with the FA filter I already have)
                        Antenna: FlightAware antenna
                        Cables/Connectors: 17 meters of KOKA 9 TS (total loss in this cable alone should be around 1.25 dB.)
                        Pigtail/step down adaptors: MCX - F pigtail, short piece of flat coaxial cable and F-N adapter for the antenna.
                        Software: PiAware 3.1.0
                        Comments: The KOKA cable runs underneath the rooftiles and above the insulation. Antenna is placed at about 7 meters above ground.
                        The flat coax is needed (no way of drilling holes through exterior walls or anything like that) which runs between window and window frame.
                        This short piece of coax does have a negative effect on the results though...
                        I'm feeding Flightradar24, FlightAware and Planefinder.

ADS-B RPi3 PiAware 3 by Iemand91, on Flickr

FlightAware antenna by Iemand91, on Flickr

Results:

FA antenna Planefinder range through flat coax by Iemand91, on Flickr

ADS-B range rings through flat coax by Iemand91, on Flickr

Compare that without the (needed) flat coax:

FA antenna Planefinder range directly by Iemand91, on Flickr

ADS-B range rings directly by Iemand91, on Flickr
                        Last edited by Iemand91; 2016-10-01, 19:50.

Comment

Hi Guys, thought I would upload a few images of the new antenna mast and set-up for the standard FR24 kit supplied to me:

Img_8312.jpg
                          New Antenna Mast (Sectional) with a 3m 2" mast inserted at the top to give height another 1m

Img_8314.jpg
                          IP55 Boxes with 2x Power Sources, I box with FR24 Decoder, the other box is spare to insert a RASPi or Beast with an Antenna at differing height.

Img_8315.jpg
                          New Coverage area, well extended now East/South East.
                          Rings are Statute Miles not Nautical Miles.
                          If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

Comment

Outdated. Stuff changed, no photo's yet.
                            Last edited by Jarod; 2017-06-25, 10:43.

Comment

F-KCSG2

[RECEIVER]
                              FR24 supplied receiver

[ANTENNA]
                              FR24 supplied antenna, up ~20ft

[Cables/Connectors]
                              FR24 supplied RF cable from the antenna to a self built RF filter, then six inch jumper from the filter to the FR24 receiver

[COMMENTS]
                              The site the ADS-B receiver is a commercial FM music broadcast site with several kilowatt transmitters. Line of Site distance is approx. 25 miles in any given direction from this site.

There are several cellular carriers within rock throwing distance, and a few 940MHz transmitters, with their antennas an arm's length away.

Originally, the best range I could get was about 88nm. Having some experience in this field, I decided to add an inline RF filter before the receiver. The receivers in any of the DVB-T dongles, or SDR have very poor performing filters, if they have any at all.

This means, that even in a neighborhood, or any urbanized area, unknown amounts of RF are preventing you receiver from getting best performance.

I sought to purchase a already filter, like the ones from Flightaware, and some of the Chinese counterfeits. However, most of these are have a band pass well over 100MHz, meaning, they do not block 800/900MHz cellular, and 940MHz transmissions.

The one I built drops the 940MHz stuff by 50dB, and attenuation gets higher as you get further away in frequency, be it higher or lower.

Because of my filter, the range went from 88nm to 265nm.

Comment

@KB9LFZ:

Very interesting. Can you please give some details about your DIY filter? Photos and sketches will be added help.

Comment

Working...
                                X