Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show / Describe your FR24 hardware

Passenger
    T-YBSU3 setup

Receiver - Raspberry Pi (Model B) with RTL2832U/R820T Dongle and using a Wi-Pi
    Antenna - Home built Ground Plane Antenna
    Cable/Connectors - Standard satellite Tv Co-Ax, F connector to Antenna, MCX to dongle
    Software - Dump 1090 and fr24 feeder software
    Comments - Range averages 150 to 170 Nm but have had out to 195 Nm. I am looking into possibilities of an amplifier to extend range.

See Pics
    IMG_2729.jpg1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg8.jpg

Passenger
    I'm using the flightradar24 hardware. Thank you! This is site krkd-1

IMG_20140914_161808.jpgIMG_20140914_163429.jpgcoverage.png

With the good location, I have received from 329Nm which I think is quite good. Coverage to the north is less as it goes up hill a little bit. No obstructions in the other directions. 550 feet ASL and just a few miles from the ocean.
    It is mounted about 25' up on a Rohn 25 tower (attached to building) and uses the 10m coax. I could replace the coax with something heavier like LMR400/600 and gain about 2db. 6db is twice the distance, so that's about 30% greater distance potential. I'd rather do that than add an amp, as amps amplify noise too (and create some of their own as well). Factors affecting range are Freespace loss at 300NM is about 148db (so take out your antenna gains at both ends, cable loss, receiver sensitivity, transmit power) and there's probably not much left over. (2db less of cable loss would help this). Fresnel zone issues can be an issue too. At 300 miles, the fresnel zone is about 500 feet at the midpoint, so the plane being up in the sky helps, but I'm 550' ASL on my end, and the earth curves. http://easycalculation.com/physics/e...f-distance.php says my line of sight distance on that is 316 miles for 40000 feet on the other end, so I'd be losing the bottom half my fresnel zone pattern at that distance. So I might be able to get a little better with a bigger coax, but I might also be limited by curvature of the earth at my height. I really don't enjoy climbing, even with the full safety gear, so I'm in no rush to change cables.
    Last edited by jasonp; 2014-09-26 at 01:25.

Passenger
    LPPR8 setup

Receiver: Raspberry Pi B+ with RTL2832U/R820T Dongle
    Antenna: Antenna of the RLT2832U Dongle - Making one is on the to-do list
    Software: PiAware and Flightradar feed, feeding data to FR24 and Flightaware

I have it set for daily reboot around 14:30 local time, it's consistent, I get pretty good range with the default antenna, about 150 to 200Km, the equipment is located under the roof at the toppest floor, I want to make an external antenna to increase the range.

Station T-YCOL1 in operation at YNRG (Narrogin, WA).

Quote Originally Posted by Exadios View Post
    Station T-YCOL1 in operation at YNRG (Narrogin, WA).
    Hi Exadios,

From what I can see on the outside you have multiple antennas and a wifi link, I also see a solar panel powering it. That's really interesting looking but what exactly do you have setup inside the suitcase?

Thanks

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    Hi Exadios,

From what I can see on the outside you have multiple antennas and a wifi link, I also see a solar panel powering it. That's really interesting looking but what exactly do you have setup inside the suitcase?

Thanks
    I also don't know what is it... care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    Hi Exadios,

Thanks
    Hi 1090 and North Borneo

The box is a cheap plastic tool box ($20 at K-Mart) which I have put a 12V automobile battery in the bottom section and electronics in the top section.

I use the box as a test setup. Most of the antennae are receiving signals which are unrelated to aviation. However one of the antennae is a 1090 MHz collinear which is connected to a RTL2832 receiver and Raspberry Pi. Eventually I will pull this out of the test box and mount it on a mast.

I am a member of a gliding club which flies from YNRG. A couple of months ago we held the state gliding competition at YNRG. During competitions we launch and land a large number of aircraft in a short time interval. The problem is that the Flying Doctor arrives unannounced a couple of times of times a day which causes us some problems. Using this station we were able to receive early warning of these arrivals and plan accordingly.

Having the antenna this near to the ground is far from ideal. Even so I could receive aircraft up to 350 Km to the east through a saddle on the ridge. Ranges in other direction were about 200 Km because of the obstructions of the local horizons and, even worse, hangers and so on. A permanent installation would clear the local buildings and improve the near horizon some what.
    Last edited by Exadios; 2015-01-07 at 05:06.

Passenger
    Receiver(s): FR24 receiver (F-YSSY3)
    Antenna(s): 0dBd antenna supplied by FR24
    Cables/Connectors: 5-metre H155 6 mm diameter low-loss coax cable with N-type and SMA male connectors supplied by FR24
    Pigtail/step down adaptors: N/A
    Software: N/A
    Comments: Mounted on a two-storey building above the TV antenna. Regular maximum range is approximately 400-450 km or 220-240 nm to the west. LOS to the east is blocked, resulting in only about 200 to 250 km range.

Antenna:
    ADSB_Antenna_Small.jpg

Range:
    Range-20150110-km-nm.jpg

View from antenna:
    Roof Pano Bearings-01.jpg

Purser
    FR24 feeder here. I doubled the length of the ethernet net/router cable provided by FR which allowed me to locate the box next to an exterior wall near the outside antenna:

Went to extra lengths to make sure the GPS antenna had a full view of the sky:

Standard issue FR24 1090 MHZ ant. ~20 ft above ground:

Last edited by Patrick Reeves; 2015-07-11 at 03:53.
    F-KDAG1

Going by your plot you seem to be losing some range out towards the ocean... I'm wondering if the antenna is a bit too low behind the wifi grid antenna. You might want to place it up 2 feet above the top edge of the grid reflector and see if there is an improvement, otherwise it looks like a great installation!