No announcement yet.

USB Dongle vs. SBS-1/1er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That mast does look sturdy - the gutter looks very substantial. - just needs a hinge and pulley system to the top but can be lowered to do work without taking the whole mast down

The dipole is about 5" end to end - only problem is that the feed into the dongle is coaxial (unbalanced by nature) and the dipole is a balance antenna (that's why it needs to be in free air) - a dipole really needs a balun transformer to function well. A balun for this should be really simple - just a few turns of stiff copper wir - but I'm having difficulty finding a design for one.

For new people reading this thread - have a look at http://www.rtl-sdr.com/adsb-aircraft...-with-rtl-sdr/

Comment

Hi Peter,

A hinge and pulley system sounds a great idea. However, to be able to do this, I would need to be able to physically reach at least guttering height, unless you can suggest another method.

Incidentally, if I could reach gutter height, I wouldn't have needed to construct a 22ft mast. I would have built a 10ft mast and placed it at gutter height :-)
      T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
      Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
      Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

Peter,

Just finished making a 9-Segment Collinear using materials as stated by the website you suggested but for me, it didn't work all that well. I managed to track 6 aircraft.

I doubled checked to ensure there were no shortages of central conductor and braid touching each other but no, wasn't working for me I'm afraid :-( Back to my normal Dongle supplied antenna.

I tried to PM you but looks like we don't have that facility.
        T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
        Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

I didn't put the resistor at the top end (didn't have one) - just left it open.

Since it was experimental - I also didn't put it in the tube 'till it worked, I taped it to a bamboo cane initially so it remained accessible.

Also do try a simple dipole like the wine cork one - wire need to be arranged vertically with the feed coming out the side - like a "T" placed sideways.

---

I got a 10m Active USB from Amazon yesterday - It won't work with the PI ... I don't think the [phone] power supply I'm using has got enough oomph to do the PI, the dongle and the active cable - I'll just have to get a powered USB hub to run the lot.

Comment

Hi Peter,

I'll try the simple Dipole and see how that goes.

One thing with Active USB Cables. If you have USB slots on the Front and Rear of your PC. They only work on the Rear Slots, as they are directly connected onto the motherboard. Whereas the Front USB Slots are wired to the motherboard. Notebooks and Laptops aren't effected, it's only PC's.

Update: 18:08hrs.

Peter, just finished making the simple Dipole and I used the following:
            2x 10cm Central Conductor from RG9
            Square piece of Polystyrene covered in duct tape.
            RF Connector with a small length of ariel cable attached.

I just placed it outside my window, not attached to anything and I'm tracking 25 Aircraft with it LMAO.

Far better receiver made in 10 minutes than the Collinear, that took me a few hours lol.
            Last edited by Responder; 2013-07-13, 17:19.
            T-EGBB16

Comment

Working...
            X