1090Mhz atenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1090Mhz atenna

Hey anyone know where here in North America i can get a good Dedicated 1090Mhz attenna for this FR24 software. The one that came with my DVB-T stick is small and only about 3ft of cable and no matter where i put it have a hard time getting good signals, i do get mediocre ones because i can feed into the system and do a lot so this little atenna does work but like i want it to.

Originally posted by Andrew Dale View Post
    Hey anyone know where here in North America i can get a good Dedicated 1090Mhz attenna for this FR24 software. The one that came with my DVB-T stick is small and only about 3ft of cable and no matter where i put it have a hard time getting good signals, i do get mediocre ones because i can feed into the system and do a lot so this little atenna does work but like i want it to.
    Andrew, I found a couple advertised on e-bay if you're prepred to take the plunge;

it looks similar to one Mike recommended a while back but it seems they're no longer commercially available elsewhere (that I could find) if that's no good.
    Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-05-18, 12:50.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

You could have look at this one: http://1090mhz.com/
      AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Greg (Fungus) The one you gave a link to on ebay, i have a DVB-T stick that i ordered from FR24 support, one of the free ones they were offering, it obvilously doesent come with coax cable (the one on ebay) what would i use to hook up to the DVB-T dongle?? Its a very small connection. Any ideas??

Comment

Greg (Fungus) The one you gave a link to on ebay, i have a DVB-T stick that i ordered from FR24 support, one of the free ones they were offering, it obvilously doesent come with coax cable (the one on ebay) what would i use to hook up to the DVB-T dongle?? Its a very small connection. Any ideas??
          You need an 'N' connector for the antenna end and some good, low-loss coax, like LMR400 or better.

At the receiver end, you can have an 'N' connector on the antenna cable, then use an adaptor to convert to the type of connector your receiver uses, or a short patch lead with smaller, more flexible coax like RG58, with an 'N' connector to connect to the thicker antenna cable and the matching connector to fit your receiver on the other end.

I recommend the latter option, as it's more flexible and doesn't place any physical stress on your receiver connection, which the heavy cable can do.

Comment

Speedbird1960 hey that one looks good, and i am in Canada but have a post box in the USA so it will be shipped from the USA and it will hook up to my DVB-T dongle i suspect, the one i got from you guys FR24, it was one of the free ones Mike was adverstising we could get a few weeks ago.

Comment

Andrew,

The eBay model fungus posted is by far the better of the two shown so far.

It has much higher gain, which means signals will be received stronger and from a greater distance.

This is all by RF theory of course, as I've not used either.

You'll need to extend cabling for both of those antennas to get it up high enough outside, so it's very important to use as low-loss coax as you can afford.

Comment

This model is even better again than both the previous ones with respect to gain..... made in California.

DPD Productions has numerous antennas designed specifically for Air/Aviation communications use, shown below. There are models available for the 118-136 MHz voice air band, in both base and mobile versions. These can be utilized by an FBO, or in any type of base ops setup. They can also work as a dedicated receive ante

Comment

Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
                  You could have look at this one: http://1090mhz.com/
                  Thanks Mike, I tried to locate that one earlier but it came up no longer available. Perhaps I just had the wrong website. (or my tired eyes, it's after midnoght here in oz).

Regards,
                  Gregg
                  YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thanks guys, i appreciate the info. i will decide what i am going to get and hopefully it will help me get on the radar map to say the least LOL Because i am getting destroyed by a few feeders nearby LOL

Comment

Thanks guys, i appreciate the info. i will decide what i am going to get and hopefully it will help me get on the radar map to say the least LOL Because i am getting destroyed by a few feeders nearby LOL
                      Its not a popularity game. By them sending you a receiver you are feeding the data overall to improve quality regardless if you appear on the map as the uploader or not.

You should only feel you need to add to it to increase your own interest rather than to try and be the primary upload source. Many of us run databases at home, and view local software plots rather than leave a FR24 window open all day to see ourselves.
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Another question guys, i tried my small indoor attenna that came with the DVB-T stick outside in the backyard with my laptop, wow what a difference, i know getting a proper outdoor attenna will be just great but for now, if i got about 15 or 20ft of RG-179 cable and joined it to the existing attenna i have will that work temporarily?? I need about 15 or 20 ft to get outside and up near the roof. Of course i will seal the attenna with silicone first so incase it rains, i figure might as well use it outdoors until i can get a proper one because indoors it does not do well with reception. I was getting really good reception when the laptop was in our backyard, i had the attenna on the roof of our outdoor bar and it worked very well, was picking up quite a few AC with my radar tagged to them.

Comment

Oblivian, yeah i hear ya and agree, im just excited about this FR24 and its software, i would like to be able to have good reception so i can feel i am positively contributing to the network. I know i am whether i see myself on the map i know that, i just want to make things better thats all. thanks for the info. Also i am not trying to be the primary upload source either. LOL In the radarview settings box what is the puropose of the load user data section, was just curious trying to figure it out.

Comment

5dB loss /25 ft (rated 17@100ft) so if you have 20ft and a 3db antenna, you won't get any gain. Bare that in mind.
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              5dB loss /25 ft (rated 17@100ft) so if you have 20ft and a 3db antenna, you won't get any gain. Bare that in mind.
                              It's pointless having a good antenna if you lose most of the signal in a poorly-rated cable.

Which is exactly why I have recommended LMR400 cable.

It's reasonably priced and has low loss @ 1.09GHz

Comment

Working...
                              X