Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1090Mhz atenna

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dale View Post
    Thanks guys, i appreciate the info. i will decide what i am going to get and hopefully it will help me get on the radar map to say the least LOL Because i am getting destroyed by a few feeders nearby LOL
    Its not a popularity game. By them sending you a receiver you are feeding the data overall to improve quality regardless if you appear on the map as the uploader or not.

You should only feel you need to add to it to increase your own interest rather than to try and be the primary upload source. Many of us run databases at home, and view local software plots rather than leave a FR24 window open all day to see ourselves.

Purser
    Corunna Ontario Canada, about 250 miles west of Toronto Ontario
    Another question guys, i tried my small indoor attenna that came with the DVB-T stick outside in the backyard with my laptop, wow what a difference, i know getting a proper outdoor attenna will be just great but for now, if i got about 15 or 20ft of RG-179 cable and joined it to the existing attenna i have will that work temporarily?? I need about 15 or 20 ft to get outside and up near the roof. Of course i will seal the attenna with silicone first so incase it rains, i figure might as well use it outdoors until i can get a proper one because indoors it does not do well with reception. I was getting really good reception when the laptop was in our backyard, i had the attenna on the roof of our outdoor bar and it worked very well, was picking up quite a few AC with my radar tagged to them.

Purser
    Oblivian, yeah i hear ya and agree, im just excited about this FR24 and its software, i would like to be able to have good reception so i can feel i am positively contributing to the network. I know i am whether i see myself on the map i know that, i just want to make things better thats all. thanks for the info. Also i am not trying to be the primary upload source either. LOL In the radarview settings box what is the puropose of the load user data section, was just curious trying to figure it out.

Super Moderator
    5dB loss /25 ft (rated 17@100ft) so if you have 20ft and a 3db antenna, you won't get any gain. Bare that in mind.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    5dB loss /25 ft (rated 17@100ft) so if you have 20ft and a 3db antenna, you won't get any gain. Bare that in mind.
    It's pointless having a good antenna if you lose most of the signal in a poorly-rated cable.

Which is exactly why I have recommended LMR400 cable.

It's reasonably priced and has low loss @ 1.09GHz

Purser
    Thanks for the info, not sure exactly what this all means, trying to though, just want to put the attenna outside so i get better reception, indoors is not good.

Super Moderator
    All cable has signal loss. Some more than others. The one you name will lose 4.42dB of signal every 25ft.

If you have 25ft of cable to get it outside and on a roof that is 3dB of gain you have wasted. So if you have an external antenna of 9db on the end of it. it's effectiveness will be now less than 6 (as connectors also have a loss too)

If you get high grade cable, this loss is a lot less. For instance LMR400 from memory is about .06dB/ft. Which means for that same 25ft length, you would only lose about 1.6dB

Purser
    Ok thanks Oblivian and digiteyes, understood now.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    All cable has signal loss. Some more than others. The one you name will lose 4.42dB of signal every 25ft.

If you have 25ft of cable to get it outside and on a roof that is 3dB of gain you have wasted. So if you have an external antenna of 9db on the end of it. it's effectiveness will be now less than 6 (as connectors also have a loss too)

If you get high grade cable, this loss is a lot less. For instance LMR400 from memory is about .06dB/ft. Which means for that same 25ft length, you would only lose about 1.6dB
    An active USB extention cable may be a good alternative to antenna cable. You can get a 50 ft. active cable for 30-50 USD or less. This means that instead of a long cable between the antenna and the USB dongle, you have the USB cable between the dongle and the computer. 'Active' means that there is a circute in the cable that will buste the signal.

This means that you are also bringing the dongle outside and need to protect that too. You may go for a combination where you use a USB cable to bring the dongle up high inside the roof and then a shorter antenna cable to connect to the antenna on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpin View Post
    An active USB extention cable may be a good alternative to antenna cable. You can get a 50 ft. active cable for 30-50 USD or less. This means that instead of a long cable between the antenna and the USB dongle, you have the USB cable between the dongle and the computer. 'Active' means that there is a circute in the cable that will buste the signal.

This means that you are also bringing the dongle outside and need to protect that too. You may go for a combination where you use a USB cable to bring the dongle up high inside the roof and then a shorter antenna cable to connect to the antenna on the outside.

Put your dongle in one of this outdoor weather proof box.

ClosedBox.jpg
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.