Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Tuner Decoding User Questions

Purser
    Corunna Ontario Canada, about 250 miles west of Toronto Ontario

TV Tuner Decoding User Questions

Ok people, still trying to learn this system, what does this mean In the RTL1090 box i have readings like this Under the ICAO tiltle it says A875A3 under the ALT heading it says F360 why does it not pick up the actual flight number, just curious i know it picks up other planes, just trying to decifer what it means when it doesent give you the actual flight number.

First officer
    The value under the ICAO column is the unique 'HEX' value assigned to the aircraft by ICAO (an international aviation organisation under the UN). This is what truely identifies the aircraft. This is the key to look up further information about the aircraft in the Flightradar24 databases. That would be registration, type etc.

The Callsign (C/S) is entered by the crew before each flight, and is the key to look up information about the flight like the flight no., departure and destination aerodrome etc. So this dependent on the crew getting it right. Occationaly you will see flights with information that is obviously wrong or missing.

The transponder in the aircraft will also transmit altitude (ALT), possible an assigned altitude (MCP), vertical ascent/decent (VS), ground speed (GS), true track (TT) and finally a squawk code (SSR). The squawk code is unique to the aircraft, but only during that flight and only in the region it is flying in at the moment. And then of course position, which you do not see in the list.

Only aircraft that are fully ADS-B equipped will transmit all the formation. Many smaller/older aircraft are only equipped with a limited S-mode transponder. They will only transmit the HEX code, callsign, altitude and squawk code (SSR). So no position, and therefore they will not show up on Flightradar24.

About callsigns and flight numbers:
    Each airline is assigned a three-letter designator by ICAO (The UN organisation coordinating all technical aspects of international aviation). This forms the start for the callsign and the airline then extends it to make it unique within the airline. Aircraft not flying for an airline would typically use their registration as callsign. An example could be Air Canada which has the designator ACA. A callsign could then be ACA001. The callsign is used in all communication with Air Traffic Controllers etc and therefore it's what the transponder transmits.

An airline would also be a member of IATA, which is the international organisation for commercial aviation - a private coordinating organisation. IATA takes care of practical aspects around scheduled flights. IATA assigns a two letter designator to the airlines and this forms the start of the flight number. Air Canada is AC and a flight no could be AC001. The flight number is used internally in the airline and between airlines, and it is what the customers would recognise.
    Last edited by Kpin; 2013-05-12 at 18:53.

Purser
    Thanks Kpin, your help is much appreciated, i understand things now.

Also anyone know if you can see you own radar callsign on the maps anywhere, if you can i cant find mine. and if u can how do you do it.

Purser

TV Tuner Decoding User Questions

I am in Canada, ontario to be exact, anyone know where i can get an extension to the 1090 mhz attenna that came with my DVB-T usb stick, its only 3 ft long. I have looked everywhere in Sarnia, at the Source, future shop, they look at me like i have 2 heads LOL.

If anyone knows of anywhere msg me the details so i can look it up and order some.

Passenger
    The DVB-T stick doesn't include a 1090Mhz antenna. Unless you made an order somewhere that is selling an actual 1090Mhz antenna with the coaxial cable and adapters. Either way, the best option for performance, it's to keep the connection between the antenna and the DVB-T stick as small as possible, but you can get an USB Extension cable for the DVB-T stick to the USB port of the computer. That's a much better option.

Purser
    Well i find that odd. I applied to get a free DVB-T stick, mike and fredric set it up and posted that it was sent when they mailed it. A week later the stick showed up with the antenna in a bag with it
    It was sent from one there U.S.A depots that deal with stuff i guess. I know it has to be short i just wanted to extend it a bit to get better reception because i cant move my pc to a better location, although where i am now it seems to be receiving quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dale View Post
    Well i find that odd. I applied to get a free DVB-T stick, mike and fredric set it up and posted that it was sent when they mailed it. A week later the stick showed up with the antenna in a bag with it
    As sinnet3000 correctly states, the DVB-T stick doesn't include a 1090Mhz antenna.

The supplied antenna isn't tuned for 1090MHz.

Purser
    Ok, so the supplied attenna is not a 1090MHZ antenna, then what is it, and should i actually get a proper one and where can i get one, i guess i could look on line to find one.

Purser

Display in the RTL1090 window.

Ok, so i know ive been asking a lot of questions, im just trying to figure some things out guys thanks for the patience. When the aircraft are displayed on my RTL1090 screen, and even though another radar is picking up the feed and not mine when u look at the display on the left hand side of the FR24 map after clicking on a plane icon on the map. Am i still feeding into the system and is it good data. I have only seen once that the radar picking up a certain flight was actullay mine, there is one in our area, around london ontario that seems to be real strong and is always most times displayed in the flight info data on the left of the screen.

Flight attendant
    It all depends on how many other feeders are picking up the same aircraft and sharing it - I'm not sure but I'd imagine it all depends on signal strength and the timestamp, etc. as to which FR24 uses.

As long as the FR24 program says you're uploading OK, and your account on the website says it's all active and working, then it's all fine
    RTL1090 | Planeplotter: kS (Manchester area SMU) | FlightRadar24: T-EGCC23 | Live-Military-Mode-S: Stalybridge, GB
    Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | Tamron 70-300 Di LD
    Basestation.SQB file for PlanePlotter - Updated 03/08/13