WHAT CAMERA???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT CAMERA???

Hi, can anyone help me with a little bit of advice on cameras. I want a camera that I can use for shots of aircraft at the airport and also for aircraft at altitude.....vapour trails etc. I know it really needs to be DSLR but its the make and lense aspect that I am unsure of. I presume for high altitude shots I will need a big zoom lense .
    I have seen several people at the viewing park at MIA with hefty looking cameras and large lenses.
    Could anyone guide on makes,size and rough costs for this type of equipment.

If you want to get images similar to the ones in the contrail thread. Forget lenses. Those are cameras attached to telescopes. The best you can hope for from a standing point and a lens would need to be 300-400mm and the pricing starts from.. well, you generally need to take out a mortgage to get sharp ones at those ranges.

If you are seeing guys with canons and large white lenses. Well... I'll leave you with this link to get an idea.

Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi Mark,
      You're probably looking for a camera with a 70-300mm lens.

You have three main choices for camera body brand; Canon, Nikon and Sony (in alphabetical order, not preference!) and from that there are yet more choices for lenses.

I'm not sure whereabouts in the world you are, but if you look at http://www.wexphotographic.com/ you will get an idea of prices, and DSLR and associated lens will do the job, and of course - the more expensive they are, the better they are!

Personally, I prefer Nikon cameras, as I like the way the buttons are laid out. Others prefer Canon or Sony, it's personal preference. A Nikon D3200, 18-55mm and 70-300mm lens would set you back anywhere between £700 (third-party Tamron 70-300 lens) and £950 (official Nikon 70-300 lens), depending on which options you went for.

The photos on my Flickr stream are taken with a Nikon D90 and Nikon 18-105mm or Tamrom 70-300mm lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisglobe/

Hope that helps!

Chris
      RTL1090 | Planeplotter: kS (Manchester area SMU) | FlightRadar24: T-EGCC23 | Live-Military-Mode-S: Stalybridge, GB
      Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | Tamron 70-300 Di LD
      Basestation.SQB file for PlanePlotter - Updated 03/08/13

Comment

Thank you very much. I live in Stretford near MCR airport and directly under the flight path of flights to Dublin and The States as well as The North ( Scotland).

Comment

Many thanks for help. It's going to drive my wife nuts but I can live with it.

Comment

No worries Mark, I live just east of Manchester myself Give me a shout or post back here if you have any further questions!
            RTL1090 | Planeplotter: kS (Manchester area SMU) | FlightRadar24: T-EGCC23 | Live-Military-Mode-S: Stalybridge, GB
            Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | Tamron 70-300 Di LD
            Basestation.SQB file for PlanePlotter - Updated 03/08/13

Comment

You can also look at the Sigma 150-500mm 5:6.3, it costs around 1000 dollars and it would be perfect for contrail spotting.

Comment

I have a Sony HX200V which cost me £239 from Amazon about 5 weeks ago.
                I have just moved to a property just north of a main route into Heathrow.
                The high flyers are at about 35000 feet and here is a picture of a Turkish 777 en route from Istanbul to JFK
                DSC00848.jpg
                The lower aircraft en route to Heathrow are from 10000 to 15000 ft, here are a couple of examples
                DSC00633.jpgDSC00078.jpg
                I am more than happy with the results
                I had a Nikon D80 with a 24 - 200 lens previously which cost £1000
                The results from my Sony are much better.

Comment

Originally posted by mark h View Post
                  Hi, can anyone help me with a little bit of advice on cameras. I want a camera that I can use for shots of aircraft at the airport and also for aircraft at altitude.....vapour trails etc. I know it really needs to be DSLR but its the make and lense aspect that I am unsure of. I presume for high altitude shots I will need a big zoom lense .
                  I have seen several people at the viewing park at MIA with hefty looking cameras and large lenses.
                  Could anyone guide on makes,size and rough costs for this type of equipment.
                  Consider a Nikon D600 or D800 with 72 mm diameter anti-shake Zoom Lens.

If not enough, install a X2 extender.

Price ? your legs and your arms. LOL.
                  F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Thanks Birdie. Off to Corfu in the morning so when I get back will start looking. Just hope the Greek police don't bang me up if taking pics at the airport. Will be sat at the pool with the App on

Comment

Originally posted by mark h View Post
                      Thanks Birdie. Off to Corfu in the morning so when I get back will start looking. Just hope the Greek police don't bang me up if taking pics at the airport. Will be sat at the pool with the App on
                      This guide might come in handy while you are in Corfu: http://www.planepics.org/cms/index.php/guides/8-corfu (Have a good holiday.)
                      AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Thank you very much. That's brilliant. My girls are now ribbing me. Saying that we won't leave the airport for hours after we land. Keeps me happy. Camera out as soon as we land.

Comment

Mark: Probably not necessary to remind you, but just in case, whatever camera & lens combination you decide on, get a good solid tripod as well. The anti-shake systems on most DSLR's work well, but getting good clear images from 20,000 feet below is really pushing the ability of the anti-shake technology. A good solid tripod is worth its weight in gold. All things being equal, it will transfer an image from reasonable to a " keeper ". Happy snapping !!

Comment

Working...
                          X