No announcement yet.

Contrail spotting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes indeed! A brilliant shot. Well done.
    I know that the saying goes that "A bad workman always blames his tools" But with the Sigma Bigma, you need two pairs of hands, and thats even if you've put the camera on a tripod! When extended to 500mm F/L the lens is well over a foot long and as i have said, just collapses in on itself to minimum F/L when pointed upwards.
    Do you have that problem with your 70 - 300mm Kelvin?
    Where's the profit in world peace? Or a cure for the common cold?

Comment

Hello to you all,
      It is nice to know that I am not alone as a contrail spotter. Keep your stories coming they make my day.

Comment

Hi Tony. Welcome to the discussion.
        I went out this morning to try and find a more compact telephoto lens for my Nikon. Without any luck. About 18 months ago, here in Ilford, we had both a Currys and a Jessops. Both of them closed their local branches in favour of a new site in The Westfield Shopping Centre adjacent to the Olympic park at Stratford. Of course then Jessops went under, giving you even less local choice. And nobody seems to do straightforward long lenses anymore. They all seem to offer only zooms.
        I desperately want to get some decent con trail shots under my belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfynche View Post
          Hi Tony. Welcome to the discussion.
          I went out this morning to try and find a more compact telephoto lens for my Nikon. Without any luck. About 18 months ago, here in Ilford, we had both a Currys and a Jessops. Both of them closed their local branches in favour of a new site in The Westfield Shopping Centre adjacent to the Olympic park at Stratford. Of course then Jessops went under, giving you even less local choice. And nobody seems to do straightforward long lenses anymore. They all seem to offer only zooms.
          I desperately want to get some decent con trail shots under my belt.
          This Camera Shop has Telephoto lenses for Nikons, its the nearest one to you.

Gales Cameras
          145, High Rd
          London

E18 2PA
          Telephone: 020 8504 4008
          AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Yes. I know Gales, in South Woodford. Nowadays, he seems to have more 'Myth & Magic' dragons in his window than cameras and lenses.
            But many thanks for taking the trouble to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfynche View Post
              Oh yes indeed! A brilliant shot. Well done.
              I know that the saying goes that "A bad workman always blames his tools" But with the Sigma Bigma, you need two pairs of hands, and thats even if you've put the camera on a tripod! When extended to 500mm F/L the lens is well over a foot long and as i have said, just collapses in on itself to minimum F/L when pointed upwards.
              Do you have that problem with your 70 - 300mm Kelvin?
              No, no problems like that with the Sigma but it does have another issue; it sometimes doesn't return to fully open aperture after a shot.
              I get round that by taking 4 or 5 shots of any old rubbish, such as the ground, then it sorts itself out and I delete those 'wasted' shots and carry on.
              There was a chap next to me at Fairford on Saturday with a pair of high end Nikons and his wife had something similar.
              They both had Nikon lenses that in one case looked like it needed a crane to manage it and in all cases looked like they needed a mortgage!
              And yes, I was a bit jealous!

Comment

Its great watching aircraft fly overhead like this and flight radar makes it really interesting to know what aircraft it is and where it is going.

I have created a website where you can log the aircraft you see. Take a look at http://spottedplanes.co.uk

Gavin

Comment

To SteveSpain,
                  Hi Steve, have been in Guardamar for past month but had 22 days downtime on wifi, so no contacts or spotting, very frustrating. Going home on 16th, back next year. Will meet up one day !
                  Regard, Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony15 View Post
                    Soon to move out there permanently.
                    OK but be aware of any http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraf...Health_effects

Comment

Hi Perryworld (or Rich),
                      I joined theplanespotterscommunity.co.uk in December. It has a brilliant spotting database to log your sightings and as you said, you can download sightings directly into the database from the FR24 screen. It is totally free to join and there is no ongoing cost. For spotters, apart from FR24, it is the best thing since sliced bread ! You are doing a great job with the site Rich, keep it up and keep an old man happy.

Regards, Tony.

Comment

Working...
                      X