Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contrail spotting.

Flight attendant
    Thanks Greg for your comprehensive reply. In logging flights I usually use the flight number. I haven't got as far as listening in to ATC. Years ago when I worked at LHR I had an early scanner but "ATC speak" can be hard to follow until you can learn the jargon. I was a licenced aircraft ground engineer with BOAC/BA in a past life, now long retired and enjoying the "passing scene".

Passenger
    lol i should have read your profile as I assumed you were 15. I will let you take me for a coffee on Guardamar prom next time your over.
    I ndid 20yrs at LHR before moving on and my neighbour is an ex BA engineer as well. He is of similar age to you so you may well know him..well maybe a tag younger.

Flight attendant
    Hi Steve,
    No, the 15 tag is my flat number, not my age! I am a young 72, retired now for 22 years. I would like to meet up sometime although I am handicapped by not having a driving licence, the doctor stopped me driving 15 years ago (heart problems). hope to be in Guardamar permanently from September.
    Regards, Tony.

Passenger
    No probs Tony, we can sort it out when you get here,.

Flight attendant
    I am surprised that no-one else seems to be a contrail spotter, either that or else they are shy! I am stuck about 30 miles from Exeter airport with no means of getting there so I am forced to watch overflights in conjunction with Fr24. It is a very pleasant way of passing time (I am retired). The last few days have seen cloudless skies which should be good for spotting but you soon realise that the seeming clear sky is anything but clear. There is a high level thin cloud or pollution that hides the aircraft from view and during the hot spell the aircraft are not leaving contrails. It is very frustrating but I will keep hoping for better spotting weather.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony15 View Post
    I am surprised that no-one else seems to be a contrail spotter, either that or else they are shy
    There are others and no we're not shy, but we tend to keep things to ourselves as contrail or 'dot' spotting can be very parochial. That's the way I look at it anyway. Others may have other reasons. I'm an avid 'dot-spotter'. I hate cloudy skies or days with low relative humidity (low RH = short or no contrails). I log what I see but I don't post my logs to internet groups or forums which have a worldwide membership because I believe 99% of the members simply are not interested in what's going 'over the top' 5000 or more miles away. Maybe I'm wrong and they're all out there waiting for someone to press the GO button and start the ball rolling. That 'someone' won't be me though.

Each to their own, of course. It would be a boring world if we all did and thought the same.

Keep 'em peeled

The Sage
    Last edited by The Sage of Milton; 2013-07-09 at 22:28.

Captain
    I think we all look up, see a contrail (or just hear the engine noise) and wonder where that plane is from, going to and who's on it.

Passenger
    Hi Tony I'm a dot spotter from Wellington in Somerset. I only recently discovered FR24 and have spent lots of time looking up from my back garden towards airway A25 .The traffic comes up from Spain and heads for Bristol and the midlands. I can see some trails over south Wales on G1 and have spotted at a distance of 90 miles or more ( Airbus 380 ) everything else is too small to see on that route.
    I often see the Belugas heading to Hawarden in north Wales and find it interesting to see where the traffic is coming from and going to.
    I'm retired too and have a small farm in Bulgaria near Varna , though I haven't used FR24 out there yet I will be doing so from now on.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye77 View Post
    I only recently discovered FR24 and have spent lots of time looking up from my back garden towards airway A25 .The traffic comes up from Spain and heads for Bristol and the midlands. I can see some trails over south Wales on G1
    Amber 25 and Green One? Ah, those were the days.
    It looks like someone is working with very out-of-date charts.

New ones, updated every month (the latest one is 27th June) can be seen and/or downloaded here (ERC-10/H is the one for the UK)

http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/cartography-support

The Sage

Flight attendant
    I am an avid 'Reg Cruncher' living in East London. As well as everything heading for Heathrow via the Lambourne beacon. I also get a continuous stream of contrail flyovers from Europe heading straight for the USA, without a courtesy drop in, to the UK. From where I live I can see them as far away as Southend-on sea and even, on a good day, the eastern extremes of Kent.
    I am eternally grateful for having FR24 on my iMac, an iPad and recently installed on my Samsung Galaxy, I don't bother visiting airports anymore. Like some fellow senior citizen members. I prefer to watch things from the garden, with appropriate liquid sustenance. At any time of the day, there are at least five con trails. Usually, considerably more.