Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is planning on buying the new FR24 Receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is planning on buying the new FR24 Receiver?

Question for everyone who is planning about getting it, Plus to get a better idea on how the MLAT coverage will increase over time.

1.) Who is planning on buying the new paid version of the FR24 receiver. Once it's available for your country ?
    2.) Will this be your first Mode-S receiver, or are you replacing your main Mode-S receiver (what old receiver did you have)?
    3.) What area would the paid FR24 receiver covered ? (You can list it as nearest Airport or Airport code, City,Town,Country,etc..)

With the recent news from Mike in this thread.

So who is interested buying the new FR24 Receiver for anywhere in the world
    (Information could help Mike decide what country to go after next. After the first batch are sold in the EU)

Taking the prices Mike posted. Here are the Exchange rates in US Dollar.

€460 = $600.30 US Dollar + any taxes.
    €524 = $683.82 US Dollar + any taxes.
    €540 = $704.70 US Dollar + any taxes.

or

€460 + VAT €115 = $750.89 US Dollar
    €524 + VAT €131 = $855.36 US Dollar
    €540 + VAT €135 = $881.48 US Dollar

Exchange rates as of April 22, 2013
    Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2013-04-22, 23:53.
    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

I will definitely be buying one so that I can upload without having to have my PC running 24/7.

To me that is the main issue as this unit will plug directly in to my router.

Malt is secondary for me and will see how that develops going forward.

I currently have a RB which I will continue to use whenever the PC is on. But data sharing with V4.03 will be manually turned off.

Currently sharing to FR24 from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Comment

FR24 Receiver.
      Price - including shipping & handling - €460 (Equipment is shipped from Germany as Deutsche Post letter).
      VAT €115
      Total €575

FR24 Receiver + ModeS antenna + 5 m coax cable.
      Price - including shipping & handling - €524 (Equipment is shipped from Germany as Deutsche Post letter).
      VAT €131
      Total €655

FR24 Receiver + ModeS antenna + 10 m coax cable.
      Price - including shipping & handling - €540 (Equipment is shipped from Germany as Deutsche Post letter).
      VAT €135
      Total €675

Comment

not at that price, i'd rather get a sbs-3.
        Last edited by kered; 2013-04-28, 06:16.

Comment

I AM very interested in getting the new receiver, BUT only if MLAT function is realized and is superior to MLAT offered by Planeplotter. If so, I am eager to buy TWO receivers and someone here can buy the third (for MLAT operations). I have superior coverage of 400 km radius around Moscow city, and very good coverage of ground level of UUEE airport. This will soon be expanded further to include stable ground cover of the other two Moscow major airports, UUWW and UUDD. My ID is T-UUEE1.
          My main receiver is 4-channel Beast with directional antennas. It is on repair as of today, so I run on RTL dongle instead to avoid coverage blackout. I will not replace it with FR24 model, but rather run them in parallel.
          575 euro is a pain, but can be accepted if MLAT is worth it. Otherwise, not.
          Yes I am not from EU, but I can arrange EU shipping address if necessary. BTW I think difficulties of sending receivers outside EU are exaggerated. With good mail like EMS I see just no problem here.
          Last edited by nakos; 2013-04-24, 20:46.

Comment

I'm currently feeding the Anchorage Alaska area (T-PANC2) with a raspberry pi and and RTL dongle and am interested in improving my coverage with an FR24 receiver and a decent antenna. The price is more than I was hoping to pay, but I'm still interested. Unfortunately I missed out on the free equipment since there was already primary coverage in my area. Perhaps FR would consider offering a discount (with an appropriate usage/contribution agreement) to encourage MLAT in desirable / high traffic areas?

Comment

Please don't get me wrong, but instead of writing in this thread, apply for a free receiver. When you apply you go through several checks if you are suitable as feeder, and that is the only way to get a free receiver. We never send anything to someone just posting at the forum.

http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

We have received about 500 applications so far and have sent out almost 150 receivers, and that includes areas that already had coverage like Frankfurt last week, just because it was a great location.

Comment

Originally posted by simestd View Post
                I'm currently feeding the Anchorage Alaska area ---------------- Unfortunately I missed out on the free equipment since there was already primary coverage in my area
                Alaska has always been on the list:

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

I'm currently feeding the Anchorage Alaska area ---------------- Unfortunately I missed out on the free equipment since there was already primary coverage in my area.
                  Anchorage area is okay, Anchorage has four members feeding (F-PANC1, T-PANC1, T-PANC2 and T-PAEN) Alaska need for Juneau PAJN southeast Alaska, Fairbanks PAFA north central Alaska, Barrow PABR or Deadhorse PASC north the very top of Alaska where all international PAX flights from Asia to East USA and Canada pass by every day, and Bethel PABE or Nome PAOM for the west side of Alaska needs free FR24 receivers to feed air traffic flying across Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Please don't get me wrong, but instead of writing in this thread, apply for a free receiver. When you apply you go through several checks if you are suitable as feeder, and that is the only way to get a free receiver. We never send anything to someone just posting at the forum.

http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

We have received about 500 applications so far and have sent out almost 150 receivers, and that includes areas that already had coverage like Frankfurt last week, just because it was a great location.
                    It wasn't my intent to use this thread (or the forum in general) to sign up for the free equipment. I understand the process, applied and was politely rejected by MikeC back in March (reference #4513). I was just explaining that I had already applied and didn't make the cut but I'm still interested enough to purchase better equipment on my own. With your encouragement, I've applied again but I'd be surprised if the results change. As 747-8F notes, Anchorage is pretty well covered for receivers, but it would be nice if 3 of us upgraded to MLAT capable equipment as Anchorage the 5th busiest cargo airport in the world (actually #2 behind Memphis, TN for landed cargo weight).
                    Last edited by simestd; 2013-04-26, 14:41.

Comment

If you were reject now doesn't mean you will never get a receiver. We are having weekly meetings where we discuss coverage and coverage expansion, and if we decide to focus on a region we can contact people that were rejected before. For example we have sent one receiver to Mumbai in India, and rejected 2-3 others. Now the first one is having some network issues, so we will send another one to one of those rejected before.

When MLAT is working stable we will see how many receivers are needed in how big area, to get good coverage and check against areas with MLAT traffic and applications to find areas where we want to send receivers.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation of the process Mike, it's appreciated. Out of curiosity, I looked up the pricing for an ethernet connected Mode-S Beast kit and the FR24 Radarcape receiver prices quoted in this thread are actually lower. Given that perspective, the FR24 receiver pricing does seem more reasonable when considering the extra features and elimination of a dedicated PC.

To get back on topic, I would be interested in buying a FR24 receiver when available in the US to replace my current RTL receiver and contribute to MLAT coverage of Anchorage International airport (PANC) from a location within 2 km of the PANC tower.

Comment

The FR24 receiver is the best ADS-B receiver on the market in many ways and we are competing with quality and not price. The benefits with the FR24 receiver compared to other receivers are

* Most sensitive = best coverage = more aircraft visible
                          * Fastest data handing = can handle more data packages than any other receivers = more aircraft visible and aircraft moving more often
                          * Linux computer included = no PC needed = very low power consumption
                          * GPS built in = possibility for MLAT

Hardware + software development took many thousands of hours an that is also a cost we have to cover when selling the units. And finally receivers sold to the public comes with support which also is a cost for us. FR24 is not a company which focus is producing hardware but we had to take this step to make sure that we can get and install professional equipment around the world. So FR24 goal is not making any money from selling this units, but we have to sell them as the community "requires" that we do it. If someone is looking for a cheap option I can really recommend a DVB-T stick. You will get very much hardware and coverage for a small amount of money. If you are looking for professional equipment, you will be able to buy a FR24 receiver any day now.

Comment

OK, how to buy this magic receiver? And when do you plan to introduce MLAT, apart from "soon"?

Comment

Originally posted by nakos View Post
                              OK, how to buy this magic receiver? And when do you plan to introduce MLAT, apart from "soon"?
                              As mentioned 3-4 times before, any day now. The page/shop is ready, we are only checking a final GPS time synchronization issue before we post the link. The same GPS time issue is holding back the MLAT launch.

Comment

Working...
                              X