Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is planning on buying the new FR24 Receiver?

If you were reject now doesn't mean you will never get a receiver. We are having weekly meetings where we discuss coverage and coverage expansion, and if we decide to focus on a region we can contact people that were rejected before. For example we have sent one receiver to Mumbai in India, and rejected 2-3 others. Now the first one is having some network issues, so we will send another one to one of those rejected before.

When MLAT is working stable we will see how many receivers are needed in how big area, to get good coverage and check against areas with MLAT traffic and applications to find areas where we want to send receivers.

Passenger
    Thank you for the explanation of the process Mike, it's appreciated. Out of curiosity, I looked up the pricing for an ethernet connected Mode-S Beast kit and the FR24 Radarcape receiver prices quoted in this thread are actually lower. Given that perspective, the FR24 receiver pricing does seem more reasonable when considering the extra features and elimination of a dedicated PC.

To get back on topic, I would be interested in buying a FR24 receiver when available in the US to replace my current RTL receiver and contribute to MLAT coverage of Anchorage International airport (PANC) from a location within 2 km of the PANC tower.

The FR24 receiver is the best ADS-B receiver on the market in many ways and we are competing with quality and not price. The benefits with the FR24 receiver compared to other receivers are

* Most sensitive = best coverage = more aircraft visible
    * Fastest data handing = can handle more data packages than any other receivers = more aircraft visible and aircraft moving more often
    * Linux computer included = no PC needed = very low power consumption
    * GPS built in = possibility for MLAT

Hardware + software development took many thousands of hours an that is also a cost we have to cover when selling the units. And finally receivers sold to the public comes with support which also is a cost for us. FR24 is not a company which focus is producing hardware but we had to take this step to make sure that we can get and install professional equipment around the world. So FR24 goal is not making any money from selling this units, but we have to sell them as the community "requires" that we do it. If someone is looking for a cheap option I can really recommend a DVB-T stick. You will get very much hardware and coverage for a small amount of money. If you are looking for professional equipment, you will be able to buy a FR24 receiver any day now.

Passenger
    OK, how to buy this magic receiver? And when do you plan to introduce MLAT, apart from "soon"?

Quote Originally Posted by nakos View Post
    OK, how to buy this magic receiver? And when do you plan to introduce MLAT, apart from "soon"?
    As mentioned 3-4 times before, any day now. The page/shop is ready, we are only checking a final GPS time synchronization issue before we post the link. The same GPS time issue is holding back the MLAT launch.

Passenger
    Thank you for your response. I think you need to make a sort of presentation of your product. We've seen some pictures before, but a video intro to it would be nice. BTW black brick-like case is awful.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by nakos View Post
    BTW black brick-like case is awful.
    Reminds me of the debate about Sony's Black Case vs. Silver Case. Since the "Black" color fits nicely in the Home Theater rack much better
    Sony did away with the Silver Case
    Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2013-04-27 at 20:13.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by kered View Post
    not at that price, i'd rather get a sbs-3.
    The above opinion was based on the very little info available at the time other than just a price. Now that almost daily more info is given it starts to look like a better buy.
    As Mentioned, some sort of presentation or maybe a video of its features would help in stimulating interest a bit more, I for one am starting to take a longer/harder look.
    Having gps for example would allow it to be used mobile without having to reconfigure your position continuously
    Last edited by kered; 2013-04-28 at 06:25.

Passenger
    I am definitely planning on getting one of these new receivers and it will also be my 1st receiver due to the fact I can plug it straight into my router and have it running without my PC which was the main issue holding me back picking up a receiver before. It would be based near Oxford in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBrian View Post
    Reminds me of the debate about Sony's Black Case vs. Silver Case. Since the "Black" color fits nicely in the Home Theater rack much better
    Sony did away with the Silver Case
    When a product is good, colour doesn't matter. Each has its beauty.
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.