Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need to root your phone and install Market Enabler to fake a network from one of the supported countries.

Comment

• Filter on arrival or departure airports

Hello,
      is it possible or planned to set filters on arrival or departure airports?

kocki

Comment

• Hello,

In the android app I can only select to show the call-sign as a label on the map and search only on call-sign. It would be very helpfull for me if I could select the registration in the options to show on the map as label and to be able to search for registration.

Thank you.
        Jetlag.

Comment

• Hi all. Just a quick question, are there any updates expected for the Android app? It lags behind the iPhone app quite badly, and there are lots of things that could be improved. Thank you.

Comment

• Couldn´t retrieve Flight Data from Server

I´ve bought the Pro App for android. It worked well but since 3 days it shows the Error "Couldn´t retrieve Flight Data from Server". Only after minutes there is an update of the flight data. My internet connection is correct. Whats the problem? How can i fix this?
            Thanks for any help!

Comment

• I have downloaded and installed the pro version on my SonyExperia Arc. I have been playing with it for an hour and have the following observations/opinions.

There is a very big lag between the acual plane position and the what FR24 is reporting. I live 2 miles from Heathrow and when the planes take off in my direction, half of them turn to fly directly over my house, (the other half thurn in the opposite direction). A plane showing as just leaving the runway on FR24 has actually already flown over my house.

The updates onscreen are every 10 seconds or so. Why cant the app calculate the position of a plane based on its position, speed and heading to plot and create a smooth animated position of the plane. At the moment it seems that every 10 seconds the data for every plotable plane for the whole of Europe and beyond is sent rather than just the planes that are in the current view. If you actually made the app smarter in terms of calculating and updating plane positions, I think that you should be able to get away with sending much less data and having a better and more accurate display.

The Augmented Reality feature should be dropped in favour of making the main application better. In its current form it really is not at all useful. If it worked anything liker Layar or the sat finder app then it would be worth having but to me it feels like a gimmick that isnt working to well.

The user interface is not very responsive. touching the plane to select it often fails to do anything and often it takes several presses to select a plane.

When you do select a plane there should be an option in settings to dictate what info is displayed rather than just its altitude. It would be nice for me to see the planes destination for example without having to go to the full information screen. Others might prefer to see the heading of the plane. so please give us the option to choose what and how many parameters are displayed when selecting a plane.

If you select a plane and change zoom the plane is no longer selected, (same goes for changing the orientation of the phone from portrait to landscape or vice versa).

If you select the track of a plane, then changing the orientation of the phone from portrait to landscape or vice versa causes the track of the plane to disapear. (although zooming in and out is fine).

It would be nice to include a partial search option, so if you remember the flight numerals but not the letters then it will return results containing the number

Thats my thougths on the first hour. No doubt I'll have other things to say after playing with it a bit more.

On the subject of pricing, adding 63p for vat is not open and transparent pricing. That really annoyed me to see the extra cost after I had made the decision to go ahead and buy the app. I have bought other apps and that has never happened to me before. I know that there is always the option of not continuing with the purchase, but that really is not the point. Please be upfront and honest about the pricing !!!!!

This is the most I have ever spent on an app and it does not feel as smooth and polished as many more cheaper and even free apps.
              Last edited by biggles_no1; 2011-10-15, 12:25.

Comment

• Couldn´t retrieve Flight Data from Server

Since last week I get the error "Couldn´t retrieve Flight Data from Server" although my internet connection is correct. This is inacceptable, because this program worked fine since April when I bought it until last week. I don't see any problem with my device (HTC Desire 7), because while using wireless it works normal. I want to know what kind of bug we have here and how you can solve this?

Comment

• Hello Ralf,

same Problem with Samsung Galaxy Tab and HTC EVO 3D. Tab runs with 2.2 and Evo with 2.3.4. My provider is O2 germany.

After last server changes from FR24 team my android version wont work with connection via ISP. Over WLAN it will do the job.

The badest part is the very bad support. I bought the pro version and don't get support from FR24. Not via Facebook (only a stupid guy who means to be funny....) and not via eMail. Its a shame.

I will help but if nobody answer my questions i can't give more information. So if there was a debugging mode i can check via log what happens or anything else.

I use this app often if i'm spot planes out on my home base. But i can't do it now, 'cause i don't have in nature wlan.

FS24 please give us android users feedback.

Note for Mike: Ralf and Swen are both in Germany, this could be a Provider issue. ( Speedbird )
                  Last edited by Swen; 2011-10-16, 20:51.

Comment

• Answers to some questions about the Android app.

More features - iPhone sells 5-6-7 times more than Android, so we can afford to have a full time iPhone developer. With the current sale figures we cannot keep the same speed of development on Android as on iPhone. We have already had 2 developers on the project, and the person who made last version of the app is not available any more, so we need to find someone else for every new release. The new developer has to read, understand and redesign the code to implement his changes, which takes extra time. Our focus is not doing the most "smooth and polished" app on the market, but showing the relevant data. Our intention with the Android App until now has been to make it possible to follow air traffic and identify aircraft, and I think we have managed to do that. There was a big update planed for September/October but once again we had a problem with the developer.

This is also the reason why we will not develop apps for other platforms, it just takes to much time, resources and cost a lot of money. We are a small company so we cannot afford hiring someone without coverage of his salary. Today Blackberry users are asking for an app, and if we give them an app, in 3 months time they will ask why it hasn't got the same features as the iPhone app. We have never given any promises that apps on different platforms will have the same features. We are are sorry, but we can only give the app so much love, as it gives revenues.

Bug reports - About 70% of the bug reports don't mention what platform. About 90% don't mention software or OS version. About 50% only write "it doesn't work". We really need to know more. Just 3 posts up there is a report "There is a very big lag between the acual plane position and the what FR24 is reporting"... what is "a very big lag"? 2 seconds? 20 seconds? 200 seconds? 2000 seconds? 20000 seconds? Please give us better bug reports. Hopefully much of the issues will be solved with the new release.

"Couldn´t retrieve Flight Data from Server" - During last 10 days we have received 5 or 6 reports of people having problems getting the data. I have contacted 3 of them to ask about what operator they have, but no one has answered my requests. Based on the Name/IP's/E-mail I can just guess that they are located in Germany. We have 350.000 users using the web page and our apps every day, so the problem seems isolated to a very small amount of people, and I guess it's operator related. We haven't changed any servers last weeks. We are planing to change the database sever on Wednesday, but the apps are not communicating with the database, only the web server (that has been unchanged since last winter).

Pricing/VAT - The app is sold through Android Market. Android Market is a Google service and we cannot affect in any way how pricing is presented on Android Market. Prices are always shown without VAT, and in some cases VAT is added. I cannot speak for other apps or countries. In Sweden the Swedish Tax Authorities forces all app selling companies to add 25% Swedish VAT on all app sales. This is against EU regulations, and it may take many years before this issue has been solved in court. So we have to add 25% VAT on all sales until that. How this is presented on Android Market, can only be adjusted by Google.

Comment

• Hello Admin,

thanks for statement.

Now you have a guy how know many and you can work with him on this problem... It's me. You know my ISP you know my OS you know my devices so what can i more do for you to solve this problem.

Swen

Comment

• Swen, the "Couldn´t retrieve Flight Data from Server" problem seems not be related to an app or platform, as we have reports from Android, iPhone and the web. That is why we suspect the ISP, and in that case it's really hard for us to find an easy solution of the problem. It seems like the ISP is destroying the data, but we are still investigating that.

I know for example that 3G operator Orange in Poland is using some kind of "turbo surf" thing that is compressing (and destroying) data. I haven't got the possibility to try if FR24 works in Orange.pl, but want to do that ASAP as it could confirm our suspicions.

Comment

• OK, WLAN work. So my provider O2 distroy data. Can you tell me which adress this app contact or this not be wished that people that know it. You can send me this adress as pm.

The most mobile operators work with special cells. The do a private network for there phone customer. You get an ip start with 10.XXX.XXX.XXX. This is an internal network of the provider then the route you out in real internet network. Most p2p software wont work. There is no port forwarding avail. The ISP must route a port from internet outside to the internal privat ip.

Many people can't start ftp server on phone. You can't get an access from outside throw the private network of isp. Is this a problem maybe? Is this a standard URL so i must know it then i can talk with my provider why them block it.

Swen

Comment

• Originally posted by biggles_no1 View Post
                            The updates onscreen are every 10 seconds or so. Why cant the app calculate the position of a plane based on its position, speed and heading to plot and create a smooth animated position of the plane. At the moment it seems that every 10 seconds the data for every plotable plane for the whole of Europe and beyond is sent rather than just the planes that are in the current view. If you actually made the app smarter in terms of calculating and updating plane positions, I think that you should be able to get away with sending much less data and having a better and more accurate display.

When you do select a plane there should be an option in settings to dictate what info is displayed rather than just its altitude. It would be nice for me to see the planes destination for example without having to go to the full information screen. Others might prefer to see the heading of the plane. so please give us the option to choose what and how many parameters are displayed when selecting a plane.
                            The destination issue has been answered many times on the forum, last time here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post10435

I agree that it would a lot better to send an individuall feed to every person. The problem is that when having 10.000 people online (or more), the sever can't create individual feeds för 10.000 browsers, every 8 second. We would need like 5 or 10 times more servers to handle that. We are working on some kind of hybrid solution with the feed split into some parts, but this will take some time to implement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              The destination issue has been answered many times on the forum, last time here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post10435

I agree that it would a lot better to send an individuall feed to every person. The problem is that when having 10.000 people online (or more), the sever can't create individual feeds för 10.000 browsers, every 8 second. We would need like 5 or 10 times more servers to handle that. We are working on some kind of hybrid solution with the feed split into some parts, but this will take some time to implement.
                              Originally posted by Mike View Post

So how does an app like Layar manage? They have over 500 categories and within each category there can be hundreds of items. Yes these items are all stationary in fixed geographical positions but there have been more than 10 million downloads of that app. which means at least a couple of million people on the move with this app so there must be a massive requirement for individual data.

I dont want to come across as teaching granny to suck eggs but when the majority of the monitored aircraft fly in straight lines with occasional course and height corrections are you really sending all the positional and identification data for all the aircraft every 10 seconds? I'm no programmer by any stretch of the imagination but if thats what is happening then surely it makes sense to send out only the data that actualy changes, when it changes? And only send out the full data when someone actually starts the program for the first time. And if you combine that with only sending data for the aircraft in view then would the data requirements could be a mere fraction of the current system?
                              Last edited by biggles_no1; 2011-10-17, 13:26.

Comment

• Bugreport:

Platform Android , Samsung Galaxy S II

Bug: when requested show trail of a plane : the plane stops moving, trail is not updated. When pressing the ` done` button the plane symbol disappears completely and/or when re-selecting the trail option (in case the symbol remains on screen), the new trail is projected ahead of the plane, but the plane symbol remains at it´s first original position and does not travel along the flight path.

If chosen the option: Keep tracking a certain plane, the updates stop after an certain period. A refresh option should be welcome (or preventing this primarily is even better)

The android version is still quite buggy on this points compared to the wonderful website.

Comment

Working...
                                X