feeding radar data without PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding radar data without PC

I really enjoy following airplanes on flightradar24 app on my iPad. However, I am based in Benin, West-Africa en there's no coverage here. Flightradar24 is also not interested to promote coverage in Africa so no free data receiver set. No problem, I can acquire my own set.

However, we suffer regular powercuts, internet is slow (but sufficient to feed flight details), electricity expensive, and power supply unstable so we need UPS systems, etc in order not to get your electonic devices damaged (computers, routers, rechargers and so on).

This is not an ideal situation, but I would still like to give it a try! I read in the specifications of the branded Flightradar24 box "It connects directly to your router/modem by Ethernet cable. It doesn't need a PC to run ....". That sounds excellent to me since it is a light option: less power use and when there is a powercut a UPS system with battery can longer provide power to the radar system and modem and continue uploading information. In case of powerloss there is also no need to restart a PC.

I am not eligible for this (free) Flightradar24 box (although I could provide data for three busy international airports in Wet-Africa (Cotonou - Benin (0 km), Lome - Togo (125 km), Lagos - Nigeria (110 km, potentially Accra at 290km)), but I am curious to learn whether similar sets exist that are available on the market. So direct feeding trough ethernet cable to the modem and without a PC running. Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

Flightradar24 Africa user group on Facebook
    Let's increase coverage throughout Africa!

Plane spotting pictures West-Africa

The guys from MicroADS-B also made a model that requires only ethernet.

But even so, a Raspberry Pi with microADS-B and adsbox is a great setup and requires very little power and setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderix View Post
      I really enjoy following airplanes on flightradar24 app on my iPad. However, I am based in Benin, West-Africa en there's no coverage here. Flightradar24 is also not interested to promote coverage in Africa so no free data receiver set. No problem, I can acquire my own set.
      dont ever think that fr24 arent interested in covering Africa or any other continent/country for that matter. the more coverage the better- ANYWHERE.
      gregg
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
        dont ever think that fr24 arent interested in covering Africa or any other continent/country for that matter. the more coverage the better- ANYWHERE.
        gregg
        I said: interested to PROMOTE coverage. I didn't say they're not interested in coverage in Africa! They just do not want to spend on free sets being placed in Africa.

Comment

They just do not want to spend on free sets being placed in Africa.
          At this time, the priority areas are those listed on the website:

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Please note the accompanying test:

"Please note that only locations that will add a substantial increase to our coverage will be considered. The easiest way to check if we might be interested in your location is to check out the current coverage using the map page. Large metropolitan areas and major airports in general are very desirable locations due to the high volume of ADS-B traffic. "

Comment

Flightradar24 receiver runs on +5 Volts DC.

You can get a +5 Volts DC Router.

Get a 12 Volts car battery - have a + 5 Volts 5 Amps regulator to step down from the 12 volts battery. You ar eon business 24/7.
            F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by FR24support View Post
              At this time, the priority areas are those listed on the website:

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Would it be possible to pay for the FR24 set instead of receiving it for free? It seems to be the most straightforward option for me. I perfer plug-and-play rather than getting into technical issues myself.

Comment

Would it be possible to pay for the FR24 set instead of receiving it for free? It seems to be the most straightforward option for me. I perfer plug-and-play rather than getting into technical issues myself.
                They will be for sale in a few months time, watch this Thread for updates: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post27923
                AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Working...
                X