ads-b dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ads-b dumb question

I am new to this stuff so learning as I go. I plan on making a dongle work with linux.

Anyways, I have a dumb question. Who does this help? I mean, yes you can see a plane on your phone, or on computer screen real-time. But is there any other benefit to it? Does the pilots use this info? If there was bad weather or a power outage. Does the FAA log on the website, put his finger on the screen. There it is, now we know where flight 7lb8a4 is at. Shew, that was a close one.
    Last edited by Justy; 2013-02-15, 12:06.

Originally posted by Justy View Post
    I am new to this stuff so learning as I go. I plan on making a dongle work with linux.

Anyways, I have a dumb question. Who does this help? I mean, yes you can see a plane on your phone, or on computer screen real-time. But is there any other benefit to it? Does the pilots use this info? If there was bad weather or a power outage. Does the FAA log on the website, put his finger on the screen. There it is, now we know where flight 7lb8a4 is at. Shew, that was a close one.
    Justy,
    I remember once when looking at something I thought was extraordinary on my computer my son quipped 'dad, they're just pixels on the screen.' I'm sure that at the moment it all looks like pixels on a screen but in time the more you dabble with FR24 map, forum and chat the more you will come to appreciate its true value (and use).

This may help answer your question and although it is for Australia it is (or soon will be) applicable all over the world;

Use the 'ADS-B' tabs down the left of the page to navigate to information you are interested in.

Take a good look around, welcome to FR24 and good luck with your project.

gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-20, 09:35.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Working...
    X