Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is allowed to use and broadcast ADSB signals? And what happens if used otherwise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is allowed to use and broadcast ADSB signals? And what happens if used otherwise?

Hi there,

I'm checking flightradar24 once in a while but had only checked some flights .
    But now I have a question because I couldn't find an answer to it in the Internet:

Who is allowed to use and broadcast ADSB signals? I could just find aviation purposes but what about satellites (cube sats) or other vessels? And what happens if it will be used otherwise?

I checked whether you have to have a special license for it besides a ham license, or if it is just a device license where you buy the device and can use it.

I'm an aerospace student and there had been a question on our private email list of a project of mine where someone asked why we couldn't just use an adsb transmitter for a cube sat and also broadcast our current state.
    But I think this is somehow controlled by an authority but which one and what are the requirements .

Don't worry, we won't use it without knowing exactly if it's allowed!

Best regards,

Andreas

ADS-B is for airplanes, basically any pilot who has the airplane he is flying in order can use it. Vessels use a completely different system called AIS. ADS-B signals are simply not intended for tracking satellites. Besides its intended use, there's a lot of technical reasons I can think about for not working, for example, ADS-B broadcasts the position of an airplane with information of a GPS receiver and it won't work on orbit and that available ADS-B transmitters will not fit a cubesat payload even if it's the most miniature ones in market.

It's a really different beast completely to track an airplane or satellite. Search for Keplerian Elements, it's a math technique commonly used in satellite tracking, that could probably start to guide you in the right direction.

Comment

umm...

I think ADS-B can also be used for ground vehicles at the airports. It's not just for airplanes...

The FAA's preferred frequency for the ADS-B ground vehicle transponders is 978 megahertz/universal access transceiver (978 MHz/UAT).
      Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
      [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

hi and thanks so far for answering,

okay, but I still would like more about the rules and regulations. So I doubt that you can just take one and let it broadcast, or even build one transmitter by your own, crank up the power and broadcast your whatever data. Isn't there an authority where you have to apply for an id number or just to be allowed to use this frequency?
        I mean you have to apply for each and anything or the RF-transmission has to be either done by ham operators or the device itself have to have such kind of permission, so that you don't interfere or even block other users of the same frequency or service.

Could you give me a link to the document where this is stated what you have to follow to be allowed to use adsb?

Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
          umm...
          The FAA's preferred frequency for the ADS-B ground vehicle transponders is 978 megahertz/universal access transceiver (978 MHz/UAT).
          http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/st...les/2010-08-02
          This might be because this is part of Nextgen ADS-B where a data link is available for sending a lot of different information like weather. 1090Mhz ADS-B is compatible with the Mode-S Transponder.

Comment

Originally posted by -horn- View Post
            Hi there,

I'm checking flightradar24 once in a while but had only checked some flights .
            But now I have a question because I couldn't find an answer to it in the Internet:

Who is allowed to use and broadcast ADSB signals? I could just find aviation purposes but what about satellites (cube sats) or other vessels? And what happens if it will be used otherwise?

I checked whether you have to have a special license for it besides a ham license, or if it is just a device license where you buy the device and can use it.

I'm an aerospace student and there had been a question on our private email list of a project of mine where someone asked why we couldn't just use an adsb transmitter for a cube sat and also broadcast our current state.
            But I think this is somehow controlled by an authority but which one and what are the requirements .

Don't worry, we won't use it without knowing exactly if it's allowed!

Best regards,

Andreas
            I think this vid may answer your question, if you watch it very carefully. There is a very brief glimpse early in the piece which indicates units must be 'ICAO approved' for use at least as far as air traffic management is concerned. There's also mention later that, at least in the USA, units must have FAA certification for use.
            At the same time it leaves me wondering what the future holds for our ground based 'radar' receivers which we use to upload data to FR24. It would appear that inevitably, according to this company, these will be overtaken by satellites. That 400 milli-second latency makes it look as if my sbs-1 unit came off the ark.

This video press kit will explain the Space-Based ADS-B system offered by ADS-B Technologies and Globalstar.You may also want to watch http://youtu.be/kL48k0...

Damn, one thing I should have also realised is that being digital it can be encrypted.

P.S. I'd be starting with the FAA or ICAO depending on your location. I wouldnt recommend anyone 'trying them on' either and simply making your own unit and broadcasting. They're not the kind of organisations I'd like to be on the wrong side of. Here in Australia 'Air Services Australia' have overseen the implimentation, regulation and I'd imagine policing of ADS-B technology. Whilst in the past I've always found them to be very helpful and supportive when I've contacted them with regard to my receiver (prior to my discovering FR24) I would think they'd take a very dim view towards anyone illegally broadcasting these signals, as would any authority around the world. Possible heavy fines and prison sentences may be on the cards in that case (I'm not suggesting for a minute that's what you're proposing but is simply a general comment).

Regards,
            Gregg
            Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-08, 04:52. Reason: update
            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Working...
            X