Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing ground traffic

Good Morning,

I'm new at this so please forgive me if I am in the wrong area for this post.

Up until yesterday, I was able to see ground traffic at the airports I most watch, NZAA, YMML, OMDB, LFPG and EGNT. Suddenly, almost as if someone turned off a switch, I have no ground traffic at all at any of them and although I have tried, I can't figure out why. I have done all the usual things such as look at my IE settings, read the FAQs here and searched other sites, even my mobile version on my iPad has exactly the same result which leads me to believe that I don't have a problem with my computer.

Can anyone give me some guidance about what to try next? I am travelling to all those destinations in May and I have created a database in a spreadsheet showing the flights I am travelling on and showing flight times and delays for each flight; I use the ground traffic view to estimate take-off and landing times.

Thank you for your time,

Wal
    YDMB

Open flightradar24, go to settings, is the "show ground traffic" ticked?
    The only one who never makes mistakes is the one who never does anything - Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hi Albin,

Yes, I have ticked ground traffic, show FAA and animate.

Wal
      YDMB

Comment

Have you got any filters set?

Comment

Good Morning FR24support,

No, I have no filters set.

Wal
          YDMB

Comment

Originally posted by Wally3178 View Post
            Good Morning FR24support,

No, I have no filters set.

Wal
            YDMB
            G'day Dimboola and welcome to FR24. I'm currently watching ground traffic at both YMML and NZAA on the map. There's really only 3 possibilities, your settings or radars are off for a period of time and if there is traffic at the time (Sydney has a curfew 23:00-06:00) local time. Have a look at a few of the other major airports around (including YSSY Sydney up here) and you should have ground traffic if not all the time, for at the very least most of the time.

regards,
            gregg
            Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-02, 20:52.
            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

G'day Gregg,

Jeez mate, you got that right, Dimboola it is, we've only got a helipad but at least we've got an airport code.

I'm at a loss to understand whats going on, one day I can see gobs of ground traffic everywhere then overnight it all disappears. I checked again this morning and not much has changed, two aircraft taxiing at YMML but bugger all at either OMDB or KLAX, two of the busiest airports in the world. I still see swarms of aircraft in the air, and unless I zoom in, I can't see the trees for the forest. however, as soon as they reach about half a mile on final they disappear, poof! Same on take off, half a mile out and they appear but nothing before that. I know its not the PC because the problem is apparent on the iPad too; perhaps the guys operating those particular ADS-B units are on hollidays. But then you and others can see the traffic; it's a bit of a bugger but I reckon it will come good just as quickly as it went bad. BTW I see ten on the ground at YSSY!!!!!!!

Cheers and beers,

Wal
              YDMB
              Last edited by Wally3178; 2013-02-02, 22:24. Reason: Bad punctuation and spelling

Comment

G'day Gregg,

Jeez mate, you got that right, Dimboola it is, we've only got a helipad but at least we've got an airport code.

I'm at a loss to understand whats going on, one day I can see gobs of ground traffic everywhere then overnight it all disappears. I checked again this morning and not much has changed, two aircraft taxiing at YMML but bugger all at either OMDB or KLAX, two of the busiest airports in the world. I still see swarms of aircraft in the air, and unless I zoom in, I can't see the trees for the forest. however, as soon as they reach about half a mile on final they disappear, poof! Same on take off, half a mile out and they appear but nothing before that. I know its not the PC because the problem is apparent on the iPad too; perhaps the guys operating those particular ADS-B units are on hollidays. But then you and others can see the traffic; it's a bit of a bugger but I reckon it will come good just as quickly as it went bad. BTW I see ten on the ground at YSSY!!!!!!!

Cheers and beers,

Wal
                YDMB
                Wally by way of explanation as I cant find the link at present my radar is T-YSSY4 here in Syd (off at the moment) but is a good example of what you're talking about as I cant reach Syd much below 2,500ft at best as I'm west of Syd and especially since a recent storm wiped out my 1090SJ antenna and I'm now operating on back-up. The site works in a 'relay' type system, handing aircraft from radar to radar just like ATC (Air Traffic Control) hand aircraft from operator to operator and/or sector to sector. It all depends on the radar receivers reception and if they are on at the time. I think there's more about the subject in the 'About' section, top of map. Either that or 'Increase coverage' and will certainly give you an idea of how it all works. There's also the 'FAQ' section on the forum here. Remember not all radars operate 24/7 and there's also the time zone difference to take into account (when we're awake the rest of the world is slacking off, sorry I mean sleeping). Sorry guys, couldnt resist it

Regards,
                gregg
                Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-02, 22:51.
                YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thanks for that Gregg, all useful info for a newbie. I have already thoroughly read the 'increase coverage' section of the site and I've pretty well made my mind up to set up a 'radar' here in Dimmy; we're smack under the Melbourne-Adelaide route and just about all the westward international traffic passes over here. I say 'pretty well' because I haven't made up my mind as to which way to swing when it comes to the ADS-B unit. My grandson, an Aerospace Electronics Engineer, has offered to build me one, but its on an opportunity basis, or I can buy one off the shelf. (Actually, he said 'lets go the whole hog grandpa and build a real radar' I said nooooooooo don't want any Wild Weasles coming this way).

As for time zones, I think I might just pull an all nighter to see what happens when the rest of the world isn't slacking off lol.

Cheers mait,

Wal

Comment

Thanks for that Gregg, all useful info for a newbie. I have already thoroughly read the 'increase coverage' section of the site and I've pretty well made my mind up to set up a 'radar' here in Dimmy; we're smack under the Melbourne-Adelaide route and just about all the westward international traffic passes over here. I say 'pretty well' because I haven't made up my mind as to which way to swing when it comes to the ADS-B unit. My grandson, an Aerospace Electronics Engineer, has offered to build me one, but its on an opportunity basis, or I can buy one off the shelf. (Actually, he said 'lets go the whole hog grandpa and build a real radar' I said nooooooooo don't want any Wild Weasles coming this way).

As for time zones, I think I might just pull an all nighter to see what happens when the rest of the world isn't slacking off lol.

Cheers mait,

Wal
                    No worries mate, you wont regret the freedom of having your own unit and they're great fun and just between you and me, one grandad to another, I only have one of the original SBS-1 units so I cant really offer any help with those other units. Others however on here can and would be only too pleased to do so and it seems you'll get plenty of help from home, which is great. There's also the links to the other units here on the forum and no doubt you've already seen the stuff I pointed out previously. Dont mention this to anyone though as some people on here think I know a lot (wink, wink)

You may also find the 'technical matters (hardware)' section of the forum useful.

gregg
                    Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-03, 04:30.

Comment

LOL yeah right, one of the drawbacks of being a Grandpa, you know the history of the world, you had a dinosaur as a pet and knowledge just oozes out of your arse; been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

Thanks for everything Gregg, I shall continue to lurk in the forums and glean what useful information I can and if I get stuck I may give you an oi. As for my grandson, he's studying for his Masters so I don't expect too much action from him in the near future, so I might look for a unit in Dubai when I'm there in May.

Cheers and happy spotting,

Mike
                      aka Wal
                      YDMB

Comment

Me thinks there may be a problem with ground traffic processing.
                        I notice that my normally very reliable ground traffic at YBBN has gone suddenly gone missing today.
                        I've completed my usual full reset to confirm no issues at my end.
                        Upload is working normal and packets are being sent successfully to VMX10600.hosting24.com.au but not appearing on FR24.
                        Curious ...

Comment

Thank goodness, I was starting to feel a little like Robinson Crusoe, now I am starting to feel vindicated.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem? I had some ground traffic this afternoon at NZAA but they must have been seaplanes, four engined ones out on the bay beside the runway, otherwise nothing at the airports I watch on a regular basis.
                          Wal
                          YDMB

Comment

Now after digging a bit deeper, I find that Wireshark tells me I am getting Checksum errors on my uploaded packets to vmx10600.hosting24.com.au (who is this again?).
                            What could I be doing that is different? I've been running V230 feeder for over a week without any issues.
                            Suddenly all my data is not appearing (not just ground traffic it turns out).
                            Another complete reset of server, PP and Feeder230 does not fix the problem. I can see all the traffic in PP and in the packets going to hosting24.
                            Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

No seaplanes in Auckland But I'm still happily seeing Ground traffic at NZAA and NZCH (Im in NZCH and sometimes manage to upload some of said traffic) and watching 2 taxi as I type (2323nz)

Potentially a flag server side going funny. Or the australasian upload server being funny. I know being in AU/NZ meant some are flagged to be uploading locally instead of somewhere in the EU
                              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                              X