Page 95 of 126 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Feeders

Flight attendant
    You have to be patient with progress on this one. More and more are appearing in Europe from F- feeders. At YBBN the local F- feeder can only see them at the southern end of the field. I suspect the same issue at YSSY where a nearby F- feeder can only receive messages for part of the entire airfield. You have to be lucky to see one. If they release a version for T- feeders (eg Rpi) you will get a heap more.

Passenger
    Is there a thread that explains the difference between F and T please? (I have been considering buying a cheap USB receiver).

Flight attendant
    Don't think there is an official explanation but this is latest thread that corresponds to my understanding (but you never can tell):
    http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9517-Prefixes
    If you get and setup your own receiver it will likely be registered as a T- feeder.
    If your site is close enough to YSSY you won't then need FR24 because you will have display of the ground vehicles yourself.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by pmolsen View Post
    Is there a thread that explains the difference between F and T please?.
    There has been a few posts in different threads. F = FR24 box (Radarcape based) and T = Raspberry Pi [RPi], PC, Android phone using the USB dongle.

I operate both F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2 (RPi 2 Model B), F picks up further but is also more stable with the signals from aircraft and T is about 20% less with what it picks up and not as stable (since we are asking a lot for a USB stick, software and DIY antenna).

Range of F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2 with VRS. T has some spikes which I've yet to remove (unsure why it happened when I had measures to prevent such spikes)
    F-YSWG1.pngT-YSWG2.png
    Last edited by YSWG; 2015-12-11 at 10:07.
    F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Passenger
    I have started sharing my Data Feeds using a small program mostly because there are just so many feeders already in my area and found it works just perfect :-)

If you would like to know more about Data Sharing please send me a PM or email me at james (at) tjharris.id.au

Flight attendant
    Some good news after updating to latest Rpi 16-7 is that some ground vehicles are showing at YBBN. Not sure why all possible ground vehicles are not showing. Anyone want to try upgrade at YSSY to check there?

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by YSWG View Post
    There has been a few posts in different threads. F = FR24 box (Radarcape based) and T = Raspberry Pi [RPi], PC, Android phone using the USB dongle.

I operate both F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2 (RPi 2 Model B), F picks up further but is also more stable with the signals from aircraft and T is about 20% less with what it picks up and not as stable (since we are asking a lot for a USB stick, software and DIY antenna).

Range of F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2 with VRS. T has some spikes which I've yet to remove (unsure why it happened when I had measures to prevent such spikes)
    F-YSWG1.pngT-YSWG2.png
    Hey YSWG,

I have a thought on this.. When I started doing this whole RTL-SDR dump1090 thing it was with a Pi B+ ... Then when all the MLAT stuff started happening increasing load on the Pi I figured I would switch to a Pi2 .. Here's the kicker, when I did that, I got slugged with about the same amount of decrease in positions as you are seeing, about 20% loss.. I immediately switched back to the Pi B+ and things went back to normal. My very first thought was the Pi2 obviously generates a whole lot of extra RF. I left it at that until a few nights ago I decided to look at how to shield the dongle from the RF of the Pi2.. Apparently disconnecting the ground shield in the USB cable generates a big improvement, adding a ferrite core to the positive of the USB cable as well also helps to damp down the RF...

So far none of this I can try as my Pi B+ and mini RTL-SDR dongle is in a small polycarb box on the roof, so there is not a lot of room.. About 2 days ago I decided to raise my antenna by 1mtr (the base of the antenna was only about 1mtr about the peak of the roof, I've increase position count by about 1/3 and now I can see down to about 25ft off YBBN RWY01.. This has increased the number of concurrent planes I can see as well, which has increased load on the CPU, which means FA sometimes drop me out of MLAT positioning due to load, I've temporarily combated this by pushing the Pi B+ into turbo mode (I say temporary as I expect to burn it out in short order at high clock speeds).. But what I will need to do is bring the Pi and dongle down off the roof, and separate them, putting them both in separate steel cases, inside the case will be the shield disconnected USB cable.. And if I can get a decent sized metal box I will leave room for an LNA/SAW filter combo in the same box.. I will then switch to a Pi2 putting it in yet another steel box.. I also plan on raising my antenna another 3mtrs... Then I should get some decent range, currently with just a 16 element coco connected directly to the SDR dongle I am seeing upto 380km... Hopefully can improve on that..
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaal View Post
    Hey YSWG,

I have a thought on this.. When I started doing this whole RTL-SDR dump1090 thing it was with a Pi B+ ... Then when all the MLAT stuff started happening increasing load on the Pi I figured I would switch to a Pi2 .. Here's the kicker, when I did that, I got slugged with about the same amount of decrease in positions as you are seeing, about 20% loss.. I immediately switched back to the Pi B+ and things went back to normal. My very first thought was the Pi2 obviously generates a whole lot of extra RF. I left it at that until a few nights ago I decided to look at how to shield the dongle from the RF of the Pi2.. Apparently disconnecting the ground shield in the USB cable generates a big improvement, adding a ferrite core to the positive of the USB cable as well also helps to damp down the RF...

So far none of this I can try as my Pi B+ and mini RTL-SDR dongle is in a small polycarb box on the roof, so there is not a lot of room.. About 2 days ago I decided to raise my antenna by 1mtr (the base of the antenna was only about 1mtr about the peak of the roof, I've increase position count by about 1/3 and now I can see down to about 25ft off YBBN RWY01.. This has increased the number of concurrent planes I can see as well, which has increased load on the CPU, which means FA sometimes drop me out of MLAT positioning due to load, I've temporarily combated this by pushing the Pi B+ into turbo mode (I say temporary as I expect to burn it out in short order at high clock speeds).. But what I will need to do is bring the Pi and dongle down off the roof, and separate them, putting them both in separate steel cases, inside the case will be the shield disconnected USB cable.. And if I can get a decent sized metal box I will leave room for an LNA/SAW filter combo in the same box.. I will then switch to a Pi2 putting it in yet another steel box.. I also plan on raising my antenna another 3mtrs... Then I should get some decent range, currently with just a 16 element coco connected directly to the SDR dongle I am seeing upto 380km... Hopefully can improve on that..
    Very interesting. If only I knew what RF is.

First officer
    My RPi 2 is located in the weather proof housing with the powerpoint (which could cause RF, along with the power adapters for the RPi and FR24 box) and RTL-SDR dongle is connected to a 10m USB2 cable with the RTL-SDR dongle in a Inspection Tee Conduit with a lot of duct tape [sealing pipe the holes], which then connects to 15m of coax to the 8 element CoCo. If I get a chance, I'll draw up a diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpin View Post
    Very interesting. If only I knew what RF is.
    Radio frequency interference (RFI), but a lot of people use RF in short. Even powerlines have RF, which you can sometimes hear on an AM radio.
    Last edited by YSWG; 2015-12-21 at 08:35.
    F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Purser
    My RPi 2 is located in the weather proof housing with the powerpoint (which could cause RF, along with the power adapters for the RPi and FR24 box) and RTL-SDR dongle is connected to a 10m USB2 cable with the RTL-SDR dongle in a Inspection Tee Conduit with a lot of duct tape [sealing pipe the holes], which then connects to 15m of coax to the 8 element CoCo. If I get a chance, I'll draw up a diagram.
    The shield connection in the USB cable will also act as an antenna, not only carrying any RF from the Pi2's ground plane up the line but also amplifying any other nearby sources and channeling that into the RTL-SDR dongle. A USB2 cable only requires 4 wires, which are the 4 pins you see in the connectors, but there is normally also a shield to shield connection either as foil wrapped around the 4 wires, or a non-insulated stranded wire.

This is a bit extreme but will give you the idea of what I mean:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/reducing-usb-...l-sdr-dongles/

EDIT: Oh Oh! (not Ho Ho) Also, something I forgot to mention, the FR24box has a decent LNA built into the 1090mhz receiver.. Not sure about a SAW filter though... So this will also greatly increase range...

Radio frequency interference (RFI), but a lot of people use RF in short. Even powerlines have RF, which you can sometimes hear on an AM radio.
    Thanks for clearing that up, for a moment there I second guessed myself, I am not a major radio nut so I figure sometimes I am going to get my terminology wrong. But I do understand some of the basic concepts of interference.

I am a little bit of a maker, getting all the gear working nicely is the fun part (although sometimes frustrating), seeing the data coming from the planes is a bonus

Merry Christmas for those who celebrate it!
    Last edited by bhaal; 2015-12-21 at 14:33.
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia