Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Val,
    I too have just started using my dtv dongle for adsb mode s, and have found that out of all the different antennas ive experimented and tested, the 5 or 9 legged 1/4 ground wave antenna works surprisingly well. Especially if you give it a little elevation. Its really easy to build as well. I found the tutorial on the plane finder forum, google search 3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS planefinder
    Last edited by Stevebee; 2015-10-19, 01:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevebee View Post
      Hey Val,
      I too have just started using my dtv dongle for adsb mode s, and have found that out of all the different antennas ive experimented and tested, the 5 or 9 legged 1/4 ground wave antenna works surprisingly well. Especially if you give it a little elevation. Its really easy to build as well. I found the tutorial on the plane finder forum, google search 3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS planefinder
      Cheers Steve, yea I think it's the USB dongle and am waiting for a new one to arrive. I ended up making an 8 element coax col-lineal antenna as that was very easy to make but need a new usb to confirm

Comment

• Originally posted by val367 View Post
        Cheers Steve, yea I think it's the USB dongle and am waiting for a new one to arrive. I ended up making an 8 element coax col-lineal antenna as that was very easy to make but need a new usb to confirm
        I tried the coco, but was a bit disappointed, the stock dtv antenna worked better for me, I just realized i used the wrong dimensions for my spider antenna and compared to the correct size one i just finished making, works way better??? dont understand the maths behind why its working when it shouldn't lol ah well. I might put up a range plot later on

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevebee View Post
          I tried the coco, but was a bit disappointed, the stock dtv antenna worked better for me, I just realized i used the wrong dimensions for my spider antenna and compared to the correct size one i just finished making, works way better??? dont understand the maths behind why its working when it shouldn't lol ah well. I might put up a range plot later on
          The co-co's can be a finicky beast - at 1090Mhz, a mm here or there can really effect how it works; unless you have the test gear to check it, it can be very hit and miss.

I have to admit I took the easy (but expensive) option and bought a Jetvision A3, though I have made a variation on the "cantenna" design for my second RPi that I use for testing and that I take away with me on holidays.

Cheers

Andrew
          Last edited by rodeo; 2015-10-28, 08:36.
          T-YSBK22

Comment

• Any Sydney YSSY feeders out there? I posted a question on another thread here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...hicles-Missing about ground vehicles no longer displaying at YSSY. They used to display at the beginning of this year.

The latest reply I got was unhelpful. I therefore emailed support. The reply I received was equally unhelpful. Quote: "It depends on the closest receiver that picks up the data. If that's up and feeding then you will see data, if it's down then unfortunately ground data won't be shown."

I cannot imagine that all Sydney feeders have been down all year. Can any Sydney feeders enlighten me as to what has changed to stop the ground vehicles displaying please?

Comment

• Can a feeder from Sydney please have a look at my thread here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...hicles-Missing and comment on it.

Comment

• SoCalBrian answered it fairly clearly in the thread you link to:

I believe the ground vehicles are still being Blocked/Not Shown from the FR24 boxes data from showing on the FR24 map.
                Only the T-Feeders can get the ground vehicles to display on the FR24 maps. Maybe the local T-feeder(s) in the Sydney airport stopped uploading their data.

T-Feeder being someone like myself, who use something like a Raspberry Pi and a DTV dongle. Most likely scenario is that the T feeder that was close enough to YSSY to show the ground vehicles has stopped feeding data for some reason.
                T-YSBK22

Comment

• I cannot believe that none of the 12 feeders at Sydney are close enough to pick up the signals.

I also cannot believe that taxiing aircraft show up clearly even when they are in the vicinity of the terminal buildings but ground vehicles are all missing, even when they are driving around the southern end of the main N-S runway with no obstructions for over a kilometre. Or that all feeders all over Europe that were previously sending ground vehicle signals have also all suddenly gone offline, as per Kemistry's post on the other thread.

The ground vehicles all show up on planefinder.net.

I am hoping that a feeder at Sydney who used to display the ground vehicles can respond to this to advise if they stopped showing when the new feeder software was introduced.
                  Last edited by pmolsen; 2015-10-28, 11:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmolsen View Post
                    I cannot believe that none of the 12 feeders at Sydney are close enough to pick up the signals.

I also cannot believe that taxiing aircraft show up clearly even when they are in the vicinity of the terminal buildings but ground vehicles are all missing, even when they are driving around the southern end of the main N-S runway with no obstructions for over a kilometre. Or that all feeders all over Europe that were previously sending ground vehicle signals have also all suddenly gone offline, as per Kemistry's post on the other thread.

The ground vehicles all show up on planefinder.net.

I am hoping that a feeder at Sydney who used to display the ground vehicles can respond to this to advise if they stopped showing when the new feeder software was introduced.
                    Been a while since I've seen any grounds at YBBN either on fr24, but a fair few things round here are broken compared to other feed sites, although they'll say its not

Comment

• Well, turns out the USB dongle was the issue. I've now got it set up with the new one from the wonderful eBay and it's working a treat with the coco ... One day I might even mount the antenna outside and see if that improves it

Comment

• Virgin VA134 in a strange holding pattern at FL10 after taking off from Sydney .... BOM radar showed some rain at that distance out to sea but nothing extraordinary ....

voz134.jpg

EDIT: after a period in the air (Virgin web site saying it took off at 20:01) its just landed back at Sydney

voz134c.jpg
                        Last edited by rodeo; 2015-11-06, 11:02.
                        T-YSBK22

Comment

• Maybe someone may have some advice..... just feeling a little disheartened at the moment and seriously considering pulling the pin.

Situation is:
                          I have been feeding to FR24 for quite a while and have quite good range - around the 180-200nm region sometimes more.
                          So far, I have gone to considerable lengths to get better, and better coverage.
                          Changed to a better antenna, very short antenna cable run (<2.5m), 1090Mhz ADS-B SAW Filter & Preamp, new $280 Modem running on NBN fibre optic (Ping Telstra Sydney 10ms, Download 79.96Mbs, Upload 38.13Mbs).

Everything I check is confirmed working and fully functional. The attached photo's indicate all is fine (hope they upload ok).
                          F-YARM1.jpgFR24.png

My problem (to me anyway) seems to be that I'm not being reported as being the receiving station on virtually all aircraft, even the ones flying overhead and at relative short distance. Earlier tonight, I had a flight leave Armidale Airport (2.5km away). I was the reporting station as it left the ground, and within a matter of moments swapped to another nearby receiver.

I'm constantly finding that receivers in Rocky River (Armidale), Tamworth, Port Macquarie (actually Kempsey), Toowoomba, Inverell, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast and Ballina all seem to take preference over what I'm receiving. Why? - I'm just not sure.....

So, even with good coverage, I'm just not seeing any benefit to FR24 or anyone for being on air....

As I said, I have gone to great lengths to get the best coverage I can - should I find another hobby??

I run not only this receiver. I have a 2nd FR24 Pi and a FlightRadar with another Pi running into FrlightAware. I also have another 2 Pi's not currently doing anything and thinking I might just list on eBay.

Any suggestions, advice, criticism that anyone can offer??
                          Host of: FlightRadar24 F-YARM1,2,3 and T-YARM3,5 and FlightAware Sites #12042 and #39479 as well as Radarbox24 Site #PGANRB300831 and Planefinder Site #93858 with RPi running LiveATC all listed as yarmarmidale

Comment

• Hi,

this subject is covered many times.
                            Be assured that your data is used and important to fr24.com
                            You have to understand that Radar info on the map is irrelevant.
                            I have 2 radars for years now, one is FR24 box, one is DBV-T stik on win.
                            I don't see them on the map too much.
                            Why? I live in part of Europe where airspace over "my head" is covered with so many stations I cannot even count.
                            Approach, ground and take-off on nearby airport is covered only by my station and that makes my happy .
                            Further more, MLAT coverage is considerably better in my area when I'm online.

There is only one place on the FR24 map to show radar. If there is 10, 20 radars covering one plane... how to put all radar designations? Which one to choose
                            If your is shown, someone else will ask same question as you.
                            So....that info is irrelevant! All radars are used to position plane on the map and all radars provide info.

Practice your hobby and enjoy it.

There is radarview option to see your coverage...some programs like VRS..ADSBScope..etc.

Hope you feel better now
                            For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• If it's a RPi based unit, forget the 'radar' code on the web page and move along. Theres no beating it to see your name in lights anymore. And it's not updated (on the page) as fast as the data can be processed and displayed so is so 80% incorrect.

Was posted recently they intend on dropping it. Just a matter of when.
                              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• @YARM.ARMIDALE

Maybe turn your attention to the feeder statistics http://www.flightradar24.com/share-statistics

You are currently number 133 in Australia. Maybe focus on improving that.

And as Amper says; You are vital to the MLAT which requires 3-4 feeders to resolve a position but none of them will ever be 'credited'

Comment

Working...
                                X