Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys,
    I'm F-YDKI1 which is based in East Innisfail about 1Km from Innisfail's Mundoo Airport.
    I have a question, I find that even though my antenna is 12 metres in the air, my coverage still isnt as is should be, I'm only hearing to about 150nm range.
    My cable is a little long, its a 15M length of LMR400 with N connectors on either end and a short pigtail to connect to the FR24.
    Are there any pre-amps available for ADS-B receivers?
    If so, where are they and how much are they?
    I'd like to get the system really performing well.

My network setup is a little unique in that my FR24 receiver is not directly connected to my network, I use a very short ethernet cable from the FR24 to a Tenda A6 Mini Router which is connected via 150 wireless N connection to my Tenda 300D ADSL2+ modem and then to the interweb.
    That section works well, it's the RF performance I want to improve.
    Any idea's?

Cheers,
    -
    Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
    East Innisfail, QLD, Australia
    F-YDKI1

Comment

• Try reducing the cable length to 10m max, will help to keep the signal loss to an acceptable level. More joins you have will also increase the signal loss. My FR24 range is around 192-197nm, I have recorded 221nm on SBSplotter.
      F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• I had similar problems many moons ago when first started feeding. Worked out that a very close cell tower was giving me x-mod noise that affected sensitivity of Mode-S Beast for the farther out AC.
        Finally got a second-hand 3 pole filter that had a fairly low insertion loss - compromises, compromises. Over a long period I have had > 200nm.
        Make sure that all of your connections are clean and sealed. 1GHz is unforgiving on these issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by VK4XA View Post
          Hi guys,
          I'm F-YDKI1 which is based in East Innisfail about 1Km from Innisfail's Mundoo Airport.
          I have a question, I find that even though my antenna is 12 metres in the air, my coverage still isnt as is should be, I'm only hearing to about 150nm range.
          My cable is a little long, its a 15M length of LMR400 with N connectors on either end and a short pigtail to connect to the FR24.
          Are there any pre-amps available for ADS-B receivers?
          If so, where are they and how much are they?
          I'd like to get the system really performing well.

My network setup is a little unique in that my FR24 receiver is not directly connected to my network, I use a very short ethernet cable from the FR24 to a Tenda A6 Mini Router which is connected via 150 wireless N connection to my Tenda 300D ADSL2+ modem and then to the interweb.
          That section works well, it's the RF performance I want to improve.
          Any idea's?

Cheers,
          Hello,

I have tried several Australian and imported antennas, and have found the ZCG G59 9dbi Co-linear (factory tuned to 1090Mhz) provides the BEST coverage... These are very high quality commercial grade base station antennas, unfortunately they come with a commercial grade price tag (~$700). http://www.zcg.com.au/Catalogue/01-G56_G59.pdf By the way, The finished G59 1090 antenna is 1.4M tall.

I experimented with several "sat-tv" pre-amps, however had very limited success. I have found the Kuhne ku-lna-1090-a-tm pre-amp to be indestructible. I have these installed at all my sites. Not only are they a super low noise small signal pre-amplifier, they have extremely good front end filtering. I have one site which the feeder shares tower space with several mobile phone operators. Without the Kuhne pre-amp, the 1090 receiver was practically deaf. Even at my home in Tamworth suburbia, the Kuhne pre-amp produces a measurable increase in message rates. http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/pr...1090-a-tm.html was around $450 delivered, including the matching bias Tee.

The combination of G59 Antenna, Kuhne preamp and radarcape gets 320NM+ at Broken Hill, and 250NM+ at Gold Coast and Tamworth.

Absolutely no hesitation with recommending this combination. It has served me well for over 5 years without a single failure. I personally have found nothing better available in Australia (at any price tag).
          Feeders T-YSTW2, T-YSTW3, T-YBCG7, T-YBHI2 ... all Radarcape hardware

Comment

• Im starting to wonder why I bothered to install a mast to get better reception. Didnt appear to be doing a lot better as most aircraft down this way where picked up by feeders north of me regardless. Now Ive spent the money but have no feed, there appears no rush from FR to get mine working again. It was only filling a very small area now anyway, up to 6000 over YBNA, above that YBCG7 has it anyway.

Getting pee'd off having no premium account too. Not my fault YBNA1 is down!
            F-YBNA2

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancair70 View Post
              Im starting to wonder why I bothered to install a mast to get better reception. Didnt appear to be doing a lot better as most aircraft down this way where picked up by feeders north of me regardless. Now Ive spent the money but have no feed, there appears no rush from FR to get mine working again. It was only filling a very small area now anyway, up to 6000 over YBNA, above that YBCG7 has it anyway.

I look forward to your return. Your station seemed to contribute significantly to MLAT around SEQ/NE NSW boarder areas.

Unfortunately, your station disappeared at the same time I upgraded YBCG7 to radarcape hardware - so, until your back on-air, we haven't yet seen the full MLAT potential.
              Feeders T-YSTW2, T-YSTW3, T-YBCG7, T-YBHI2 ... all Radarcape hardware

Comment

Im starting to wonder why I bothered to install a mast to get better reception. Didnt appear to be doing a lot better as most aircraft down this way where picked up by feeders north of me regardless. Now Ive spent the money but have no feed, there appears no rush from FR to get mine working again. It was only filling a very small area now anyway, up to 6000 over YBNA, above that YBCG7 has it anyway.

Apparently thats not to be a definitive guide, the displayed "radar" may incorporate data from other stations as well, strange? yes indeed, but certainly would explain why, since a few days ago when the database crashed, that F-YBSU2 is covering and showing twice the area it used to, down to 2K feet close to overhead and south of YBBN where there are substantially more powerful base stations in T-YBBN 1/22/27/29 (and no, none of those are mine) and even YBGC 7 and 8 for areas around South Strady - Beaudesert and south of.
                In fact I had to go to ground level at YBBN itself to find any T- feeders (yep T-YBBN1) I do believe they "Favour" their "F" feeders, and thats understandable I guess given the cash outlay they have invested in all the F feeders, but it does give false impressions as you mention, you have little to no idea if its worth your time and effort, I know mines working, a few days ago there must have been a power outage, as YBSU2 disappeared for a few hours and mine was handling a crap load of a/c.. until YBSU2 seem to re-appear, then I was vanished again

All that said, you can get cheap dongles from China for 10 bucks w/free postage, handy to have as a backup or if like me thats all you use, cheap as for two of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by ƒil View Post
                  Hello,

I have tried several Australian and imported antennas, and have found the ZCG G59 9dbi Co-linear (factory tuned to 1090Mhz) provides the BEST coverage... These are very high quality commercial grade base station antennas, unfortunately they come with a commercial grade price tag (~$700). http://www.zcg.com.au/Catalogue/01-G56_G59.pdf By the way, The finished G59 1090 antenna is 1.4M tall.

I experimented with several "sat-tv" pre-amps, however had very limited success. I have found the Kuhne ku-lna-1090-a-tm pre-amp to be indestructible. I have these installed at all my sites. Not only are they a super low noise small signal pre-amplifier, they have extremely good front end filtering. I have one site which the feeder shares tower space with several mobile phone operators. Without the Kuhne pre-amp, the 1090 receiver was practically deaf. Even at my home in Tamworth suburbia, the Kuhne pre-amp produces a measurable increase in message rates. http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/pr...1090-a-tm.html was around $450 delivered, including the matching bias Tee.

The combination of G59 Antenna, Kuhne preamp and radarcape gets 320NM+ at Broken Hill, and 250NM+ at Gold Coast and Tamworth.

Absolutely no hesitation with recommending this combination. It has served me well for over 5 years without a single failure. I personally have found nothing better available in Australia (at any price tag).
                  Wow, you sure have spent a lot of money into this field. I also have a Kuhne 1090 amp, expensive and it is performing to what I expect. It is well built too, so I do hope mine lasts for the coming years. 250nm is what I get for range normally, but for planes across the ocean it is normally 200nm, sometimes a bit more.

Comment

Hope you can resolve the issue with FR24 soon. There are now about 65 FR24 boxes in Australia plus quite a few in NZ and a the odd one around the south Pacific. It would be a good thing for FR24 to set up some sort of modest servicing arrangement in this part of the world - a swap service operated by a commercial service organisation may be all that's needed. We're a long way from Germany down here.

Comment

Ithere appears no rush from FR to get mine working again.
                      We have been in constant communication with you about the receiver being offline. We are as anxious as you to have you online again.

Please continue working with Antonio in Support.

Comment

• Thanks airnrail, you are right, I haven't made many posts LOL

I'm Jim from Warra in SE Qld, F-YBSU1 was interesting to see how many FR boxes in Aussie.
                        Have been toying with the idea of making my lead in feeder cable to 15 meters, already have the 10 meter lean in cable as supplied by FR24
                        Agree with your remarks, anything to improve the service
                        Last edited by JustMe; 2014-05-19, 10:40. Reason: Put wrong station ID in message, its OK now

Comment

Of course we want to get your receiver online as soon as possible, but we want to be sure to understand the problem first. A broken Ethernet port is very uncommon so we want to spend some days investigating if there may be a solution before spending weeks on shipping. I have received several messages from support about your receiver this weekend and Gunther is involved as well, so I'm sure you will get more information soon.

Comment

• I understand Mike, thanks. Ive received mail today.
                            F-YBNA2

Comment

• Some MLAT coverage close to Wagga this morning. VH-SBT was flying QLK205 (Sydney to Albury) but was diverted to Wagga. Was on the ground for over an hour (work on the taxiway and tarmac added half an hour). Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 9.53.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-21 at 9.53.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-21 at 9.47.41 PM.jpg
                              F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Well what a load of crap. Been tracking aircraft from 200+nm to the east of my location, before they even reach my site they are transferring over to other stations, even "T" feeders
                                it seems to me that if any aircraft is being covered by another location then my feed gets dropped. This is so encouraging, seems my coverage is great until there is more than one
                                feed then.......maybe FR thinks I am in Albury, who knows!

Comment

Working...
                                X