Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys,
    First time poster here, long time watcher from Brisbane
    Anyone noticed that T-YBBN1 has been down for a few days?

Comment

Originally posted by dencoby View Post
      Hi Guys,
      First time poster here, long time watcher from Brisbane
      Anyone noticed that T-YBBN1 has been down for a few days?
      I'd not noticed - but if you are in Brisbane and have noticed the radar is in-reliable there, how about setting up a feed there yourself?

Just needs a raspberry Pi computer, SD card, Power supply, RTL 820T TV tuner dongle, in internet connection and a little time - a whole new hobby begins.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        I'd not noticed - but if you are in Brisbane and have noticed the radar is in-reliable there, how about setting up a feed there yourself?

Just needs a raspberry Pi computer, SD card, Power supply, RTL 820T TV tuner dongle, in internet connection and a little time - a whole new hobby begins.
        Funny you should mention that, i just ordered a DVB-T Receiver from nooelec.com, we shall she how it goes =)

Comment

n77 -
          I don't suppose you would consider moving to Birdsville.
          My daily commute to Oakey on the Warrego Hwy is bad enough, it's hard to imagine but I think the roads would be even worse from Birdsville.

John -
          Pity you didn't have an opportunity to grab the moniker for the new Wellcamp airport - it will be YBWW (Brisbane West Wellcamp) apparently.
          I considered asking for this change as I'd been talking about it here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...y-taking-shape

Then I read the discussion a few pages earlier in this thread. (BTW - I think I'll go for 'Key Lime Pie 9' now that someone else has changed to 'Kit Kat' )

Lancair -
          Can someone point me in the direction of some ready to go hardware please?
          Try going here: http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment and submitting a request. That's what I did.

There's an approval process but if you are successful the hardware is posted and you simply have to install the antenna and black box and start feeding data. Antenna took about an hour, plugging the black box into my router took 5 mins. Easy.

Geoff (or KLP9 or maybe even F-YBWW1 some day)

Comment

Any word on ground info for MEL?

Comment

Looks like Bamaga airport in the tip of Queensland is on line, a very welcome addition indeed...YBAM

Comment

T-YBBN1 has been very reliable and one of the best Aussie feeders by virtue of it's astounding range. I think it might be gone for good - hope not - but I can't help wondering if the owner got the sh**ts with Geoff's new feeder at Toowoomba being called F-YBBN1 (not Geoff's fault - he didn't pick the name and wants to change it - see above). If so, we have lost the only feeder that reliably gets to ground level at Brisbane airport and FR24 need to remember that a lot of these private feeders also feed elsewhere and can easily switch off FR24. Sadly, there are now two major airports in Oz (Melbourne is the other one) with no coverage much below 500ft. I reiterate what I've said earlier regarding the feeder at Bairnsdale, Vic being designated as Albury NSW. This naming issue can surely be resolved by the host being allowed to choose the airport they want and FR24 allocating the prefix and sequence number. If you don't let computers do all your thinking for you, this task could be done under the control of a human using just a simple sorted spreadsheet.

Comment

Email has been sent requesting a change to F-YBWW1 or similar.

Comment

This is the downside of phrases like 'this is not about bragging-rights', an aggressive phrase that hacks people off when they feel what they are doing here has been been marginalised. It just means they may not come to the forums and talk about what's happened (they don't need the slap in the face) - they just switch off and move on , and a valuable cover is lost.

Be nice - they are giving something valuable at no cost.

Maybe T-YBBN1 should be offered an F-receiver ... partly for low cover to Brisbane partly to extend M-LAT (especially if they have a great antenna position). The T-receivers are especially valuable since they do show FL zero traffic.

Comment

• Originally posted by airnrail View Post
                      T-YBBN1 has been very reliable and one of the best Aussie feeders by virtue of it's astounding range. I think it might be gone for good - hope not - but I can't help wondering if the owner got the sh**ts with Geoff's new feeder at Toowoomba being called F-YBBN1 (not Geoff's fault - he didn't pick the name and wants to change it - see above). If so, we have lost the only feeder that reliably gets to ground level at Brisbane airport and FR24 need to remember that a lot of these private feeders also feed elsewhere and can easily switch off FR24. Sadly, there are now two major airports in Oz (Melbourne is the other one) with no coverage much below 500ft. I reiterate what I've said earlier regarding the feeder at Bairnsdale, Vic being designated as Albury NSW. This naming issue can surely be resolved by the host being allowed to choose the airport they want and FR24 allocating the prefix and sequence number. If you don't let computers do all your thinking for you, this task could be done under the control of a human using just a simple sorted spreadsheet.
                      Yeah, agree about losing YBBN below about 2500ft. He went off line a week or so ago..I live on final for 01, and wondered why all of a sudden no a/c on FR24 and all ground movements gone. A few quick replies in another thread confirmed what you said here that the original YBBN feed as gone off air for what ever reason, meaning all traffic for YBBN is now reported by Geoff's F-YBBN in Towoomba, which is a bit far away for any detailed close up viewing of Brisbane. And yes, before you ask, I am looking at getting a feed set up for FR24, either supplied by FR24 or paid for by me, as this site has given me so much enjoyment, especially when hooking up the Live ATC.

Geoff....not sure what pie I will be

Comment

• Originally posted by POR911 View Post
                        Yeah, agree about losing YBBN below about 2500ft. He went off line a week or so ago..I live on final for 01, and wondered why all of a sudden no a/c on FR24 and all ground movements gone. A few quick replies in another thread confirmed what you said here that the original YBBN feed as gone off air for what ever reason, meaning all traffic for YBBN is now reported by Geoff's F-YBBN in Towoomba, which is a bit far away for any detailed close up viewing of Brisbane. And yes, before you ask, I am looking at getting a feed set up for FR24, either supplied by FR24 or paid for by me, as this site has given me so much enjoyment, especially when hooking up the Live ATC.

Geoff....not sure what pie I will be
                        The reason I like the raspberry pi + dongle setup is that it uses maybe 5w of power and can be left on 24/7 - approximate cost is RTL820T dongle + antenna pigtail $15 , Raspberry Pi model B $35, sd card - maybe $5, power supply $10 - then what ever is desired for an antenna ... for local low level fill in ... A dipole made by splitting some co-ax would probably be fine.

Comment

• Yes, seems like a reasonable compromise to see how it all works. Saw the video about building the dipole from coax, which looks like a can-do type project.

Geoff

Comment

• I notice that T-YBBN17 is picking up a few planes at Brisbane today. I've only ever seen it in the past when T-YBBN1 has been down. This one doesn't seem to appear on any list of FR24 feeders. I also fancy that I have seen ?-YBBN18 at various times and it appears to be unlisted also.

Comment

• Now I've just found T-YBBN11! Never seen it before.

Comment

• Much the same here across the ditch. Theres about 8 local feeders. Some only part time and others only appear when the main/faster uploaders are down

A lot of them are not forum members (some don't know what a forum is!) and just clicked the send-me-hardware link when it appeared. As with most people reading the word free
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X