No announcement yet.

Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I saw where T-YBBN17, T-YBBN11, T-YBBN16 is active today, though most pickups are still F-YBBN1. Be good if we could actually see where the feeds are located. I appreciate as some feeds are not FR24 owned, but they are identified..Just curious as to the spread and proximity to the airport, as all FR24 feeds so far seem to not have "below 2500 foot" coverage, which for a major airport not the best. I now have to use http://planefinder.net/ for a/c below 2500 foot a/c, though, occasionally they still have some missing compared with http://www.balus.info/ which usually has all a/c, in the YBBN area between Coffs Harbour and Hervey bay with his dedicated local feed, though I wish it had the google map feature.
    Last edited by POR911; 2013-11-18, 01:32.

Comment

• Interesting. Planefinder uses Planeplotter secondary sharing (its set default in it) or their own app, so its likely like it was here to begin with. People got reciever some time ago, along with planeplotter.. and since they are getting the info they need are content with how it works or didn't know/dont care of the existence of other sites to worry about it.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Station T-YBBN18 has started yesterday and will be occasionally "on the air on daily basis".

Comment

• Originally posted by Paarmreader View Post
          Email has been sent requesting a change to F-YBWW1 or similar.
          Well I wish you better luck than I had. No explanation just "sorry". Really think this is the right way to piss off
          feeders. I've been told its a privacy issue but its our privacy at stake so if you want to be F-YBWW1 how in
          any way is that going to compromise your privacy. As far as I can see the "radar alias" are a complete farce.
          Eg F-YPAD1 = Moomba. I am not surprised that people stop feeding when they are treated this way. If there are
          real issues why not simply explain what they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by POR911 View Post
            Yes, seems like a reasonable compromise to see how it all works. Saw the video about building the dipole from coax, which looks like a can-do type project.

Geoff
            My first feed was using a E4000 chip and a home built ground plane antenna through RTL1090 worked reasonable well but if you can afford a professional antenna I think it well worth
            the expense. I now get aircraft out to 500km + with the FR24 box and antenna. My feed (T-YBNS1) is still running but is swamped by some bastard at Albury . I found it a worthwhile
            project and I hope you get up and running.

Comment

• Originally posted by nomad77 View Post
              Well I wish you better luck than I had. No explanation just "sorry". Really think this is the right way to piss off
              feeders. I've been told its a privacy issue but its our privacy at stake so if you want to be F-YBWW1 how in
              any way is that going to compromise your privacy. As far as I can see the "radar alias" are a complete farce.
              Eg F-YPAD1 = Moomba. I am not surprised that people stop feeding when they are treated this way. If there are
              Hi Nomad, So, you are a feed now? and have been asked to change ID to another ID? Can't imagine any one wanting F-YBWW1 unless you were actually there. Surely better to have many, in my case, YBBNXX, than arbitrarily choose an airport area.
              Just watching QF532 arriving into YBBN airspace. Was fed by T-YBCG1 until about Coopers Plains, @ 3725feet, then dropped out...I would have thought(hoped) another more local feed(assuming T-YBCG was in the Goldcoast area) like T-YBBN16,17 or 18 if still feeding would have pick up the flight and carried on until they dropped out and if no one else, then that's it.

Comment

My first feed was using a E4000 chip and a home built ground plane antenna through RTL1090 worked reasonable well but if you can afford a professional antenna I think it well worth
                the expense. I now get aircraft out to 500km + with the FR24 box and antenna. My feed (T-YBNS1) is still running but is swamped by some bastard at Albury . I found it a worthwhile
                project and I hope you get up and running.
                Hi Nomad, Umm, In my simplistic mind I would have thought a/c would have been fed into FR24 by the feed with the strongest most information transfer signal. If the a/c was closer to you and your signal now became stronger that first feed, then the software would hand that a/c onto your feed being stronger. As I said in my earlier post, maybe this is not how it works and first feed to acquire the a/c keeps it until it ability to feed totally drops out and only then does it hand over?

Comment

• Fr24 say the fastest decoder wins, their box does it in hardware so usually beats all others, but if you are the only box receiving the signal - it's a one horse race.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

• From a system point of view this makes sense. Users want the strongest signal. I wonder if this is the case when close to an airport when a strong signal from far away takes the feed, but can't get very low near the airport lower powered feed, when this feed will provide the best coverage of landing etc?

Comment

• A powerful signal means you can receive it from further away with a poor antenna, a more sensitive antenna will receive a signal from further away ... but once we have received and successfully decoded the signal we are in a digital world where the signal is good (hopefully it will not have decoded successfully if it's no good).

The FR24 receiver is a very good sensitive and fast receiver and if you try to win against one with a dongle you will probably lose, but if the FR24 receivers antenna cannot 'see' the aircraft because of intervening hills, buildings or curvature of the earth then it's not going to take the aircraft because it doesn't know where it is.

If you are putting a receiver to provide local low level cover over short range - then a dipole that will receive aircraft up to maybe 200km away will suffice ... but it still needs to be placed high enough clear the surrounding clutter of neighbours roofs etc. In fact the little whip antenna that comes with the dongle would be OK - it's good for about 75Km - the only problem is that it's not suiable for use outside and only comes with a very short wire ... though some people have these mounted high in the roof space in their houses.

The thing is to get something working first - then see how to improve it with batter antennas etc - I'm all in favour of DIY antennas for under $10 the commercial ones cost 10 or 20 times as much and are a major investment.

Comment

• You can get weaker holes overhead on high gain antennas too.. as the angle of attack for the signal is overhead, and not nice and long coming at it from the sides where they are optimised for
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I'm glad somebody else has noticed that Adelaide moniker in use at Moomba and from reading other posts it seems that we now also have a new feeder at the top end of Cape York Peninsula who is saddled with the code for the Amberley RAAF base near Ipswich which only permits civilian traffic in emergencies!

Comment

I find it convenient that the airport code is part of the radar ID - just to look up roughly where in the world we're talking about ... it would be even better if there was a location that let you see where the radar was to within - say - 10Km

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                            You can get weaker holes overhead on high gain antennas too.. as the angle of attack for the signal is overhead, and not nice and long coming at it from the sides where they are optimised for
                            Perhaps we just need a second receiver with a bed spring for an antenna pointing upwards
                            - don't need much range since most aircraft are within 10 miles in that direction (unless they're in orbit, but then they're spacecraft)

Comment

• Lot of planes queuing tonight around Brisbane after heavy rain and thunders.I was following some up to 500 ft before touch down.What drives me crazy is that I can see plane through the window maybe 2-3 miles and less but no signal on plotter
                              Wish they could operate somewhere on VHF .Reception would be better.Prefer marine AIS than this band.

Comment

• Come back to Split
                                For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Working...
                                X