No announcement yet.

Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not difficult and the forums are pretty helpful.. And you can always ask questions here or in the FB group...
    T-YBBN50 - Kallangur, QLD, Australia

Comment

• I'm a novice at this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. These SSM1 and SSM2 which are moving around the Sydney CBD are ground beacons. Why is it that they are constantly moving. Wouldn't a ground beacon be fixed. Thanks Phill.

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillWill View Post
        I'm a novice at this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. These SSM1 and SSM2 which are moving around the Sydney CBD are ground beacons. Why is it that they are constantly moving. Wouldn't a ground beacon be fixed. Thanks Phill.
        There are people on here who know more about beacons than I and they may well reply to your query but I guess it comes down to an interpretation issue using data that is incomplete for rendering on FR24. Be aware though that certain aircraft can appear on FR24 over Sydney and other places that look the same as a beacon. On the day of the Martin Place siege there were real but unidentified aircraft over the Sydney CBD and the beacons were also visible - all of them looked alike. You can generally pick the aircraft by their more deliberate and repetitive tracks and sometimes by their varying altitude.

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillWill View Post
          I'm a novice at this stuff so please excuse my ignorance. These SSM1 and SSM2 which are moving around the Sydney CBD are ground beacons. Why is it that they are constantly moving. Wouldn't a ground beacon be fixed. Thanks Phill.
          As far as I'm aware there are four radar test sites around Sydney, hexcodes 7CF7CA, CB, CC and CD and use callsigns SSM1, SSM2, SSM3 and SSM4. While they don't include their lat and lon in the transmission, FR24 through the MLAT process, will try to give a general location from where these test sites are located. From observation over a number of years their location has been pinpointed to Centre Point Tower, Kurrajong, Razorback and possibility Sydney Airport. Callsigns have been noted to change about on occasions. Why they are seem to be moving about boils down to which FR24 feeder is supplying FR24 with data and how accurate is the MLAT process.

I'm sure members with inside info will correct me if I have supplied bum information but as I said as far as I'm aware.

Comment

• G'day All, thought I would say hi. I'm in high country Vic and have been running the FR24 box from my house on the side of a hill. Recently I have setup my FR24 box on the top of a hill at 420M ASL. I have 6 x 100 Amp deep cycle batteries (second hand) 500watts of solar and Wifi link. I did have the FR24 box setup on the hill previously but I just didn't have enough solar or battery to run it 24/7.

Cheers
            Steve

Comment

• Hi Steve,

Do you have any photos of your setup?

Comment

• Yep, I have a couple. I've only had the remote setup since last Sunday ... been cloudy almost the whole time since then !

batteries.jpgsolar.jpg

Comment

• Great stuff,

When your up the hill next take a few more. Whats the body of water? (if you don't mind giving away your exact location)

Comment

• Thanks, yeah I'll be back up there on the weekend if there isn't too much rain (it turns to mud in the rain and is pretty hairy !).

Well I have security cameras at the location but still prefer not to give it away too easily. I'm under the main flight path for Syd - Mel traffic, near a big lake that Aircraft use for navigation, there is also a nav beacon around here.

Cheers
                    Steve
                    Last edited by T-YMEN3; 2016-09-01, 09:00.

Comment

• btw - I got my username wrong ..... just re registered with the correct name - F-YMEN3.

Cheers
                      Steve

Comment

• Here is the improvement by moving to the top of the hill (its the only way to go). I get a max range of around 200 sometimes 205Miles, I thought it might be more, but there are hills around on the horizon. There is room for improvement though, longer coax so I can wind the tower right up and a low noise amp might help a bit too.

hill_plot.JPGhouse_plot.JPG

Comment

• Hi everyone I just got my feed running and have been allocated T-YBNA1.Im located in Ocean Shores about midway between YBCG and YBNA. I wanted to get T- YBCGXX,but it is what is is.I notice that F-YBNA1 is a good strong station and hopefully I can complement that feeder.Im running a flightaware plus with a slovakian antenna that's about 15 feet high and range is as good as i can hope for considering my location is surrounded by huge trees.

Comment

• Welcome NetRanger,
                            Don't be overly concerned with the way it allocates, I operate a few YARM receivers and amongst them I have F-YARM3 and T-YARM3 both on the same account even.
                            If you would like any help plotting range, let me know as I'm happy to assist.
                            yarm.armidale.flightradar24@hotmail.com
                            Regards,
                            Nigel
                            Host of: FlightRadar24 F-YARM1,2,3 and T-YARM3,5 and FlightAware Sites #12042 and #39479 as well as Radarbox24 Site #PGANRB300831 and Planefinder Site #93858 with RPi running LiveATC all listed as yarmarmidale

Comment

• Originally posted by NetRanger View Post
                              Hi everyone I just got my feed running and have been allocated T-YBNA1.Im located in Ocean Shores about midway between YBCG and YBNA. I wanted to get T- YBCGXX,but it is what is is.I notice that F-YBNA1 is a good strong station and hopefully I can complement that feeder.Im running a flightaware plus with a slovakian antenna that's about 15 feet high and range is as good as i can hope for considering my location is surrounded by huge trees.
                              G'day NetRanger. I can see why you might have thought you'd get a YBCG code as I just picked you up for the first time latched onto VOZ527 , off Kingscliffe at about 7000ft heading into OOL. Hope you get great results where you are. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by YARM.ARMIDALE View Post
                                Welcome NetRanger,
                                Don't be overly concerned with the way it allocates, I operate a few YARM receivers and amongst them I have F-YARM3 and T-YARM3 both on the same account even.
                                If you would like any help plotting range, let me know as I'm happy to assist.
                                yarm.armidale.flightradar24@hotmail.com
                                Regards,
                                Nigel
                                Hi mate,thanks for the offer,your sites are awesome!!.

Comment

Working...
                                X