No announcement yet.

Aussie Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking at providing a 24 hour feed. I live near the YBBN airport. My Diamond D130J discone antenna sitting some 6 metres in the air receives from 25 to 1300 MHz! and picks up aircraft taxiing traffic as well as the usual air traffic, so coverage pretty good. I wondered if the discone antenna will play nice with the Raspberry pi I am embarking on building, or do I need a separate antenna for the 1090MHz, or a filter in the line to the Raspberry? I guess I can wait until she goes to work and add another antenna up there on the discone mast.

Comment

• You can use a filtered LNA, that's also good with a dedicated 1090 MHz antenna:

Should work well with the discone antenna as well if the coax attenuation isn't too big.

The pi24 image comes with an outdated decoder, also with an LNA you will want to adjust the gain, i'd recommend for example adding this script after getting the feed going:
      Solutions to common problems for rtl_sdr / ADS-B stuff - wiedehopf/adsb-scripts

Comment

• Originally posted by ylis View Post
        No further sign of Moonba YOOM since airnrail's post in July ....
        YOOM back today

Comment

• Looks like my FR24 box has a receiver issue (not picking any aircraft up) but going through all my troubleshooting before emailing support. Could be possible that something on the network might be the issue (as I find it shuts itself off if it cannot send data to FR24) but I think that is unlikely.

My RPi is still running, though the poor temporary antenna has been attacked, so range isn't as great as it once was but had stopped the FR24 antenna from being attacked by cockatoos!

Sadly RPi no longer sends to FR24 (thanks to FA, don't use the FA version [SD Card install] or it is impossible to install FR24), so lost T-YSWG2.

Edit: Two reboots seemed to get the FR24 box receiving aircraft again!
          Last edited by YSWG; 2019-10-04, 00:05. Reason: Back online
          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• F-YPMP1 operating
            This new feeder spotted around Pormpuraaw which seems to be better known as Edward River. Located on the western side of Cape York Peninsula, north of Kowanyama and south of Araukun. Picking up lots of planes in an otherwise unserviced area. Coverage seems to extend out into the gulf more than halfway to Groote Eylandt. Good one.

Comment

• Sadly F-YSWG1 is offline, power adapter failed and found the coax has had water seeping, though that wasn’t cause the power adapter to fail due to the way I have it setup. The water damaged coax did cause coverage issues, assuming cockatoos have put a few nicks (already have had to have the solar hot water fixed for the second time in two years).

Last three days the FR24 receiver has had a very poor uptime (11 to 23%) and locally seemed to reboot itself but this evening the power adapter went pop, assuming it was a capacitor failure) but has done well to last over four years of mostly 24/7 operation. Tested the FR24 receiver with a borrowed adapter and it powered up. Looks like I’ll be doing some maintenance while fixing my RPi setup (antenna for that setup has been destroyed by the cockatoos). While I’m at it, install a OS so FR24 software can be installed.

Yes have emailed support.
              Last edited by YSWG; 2019-10-09, 11:11.
              F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• YSWG: Jeez mate you've been having issues with those bloody cockies for years. Sorry to hear your feeder is down - hopefully FR24 will provide the fix quickly.

Comment

• YSWG - The buggers will eat anything

Comment

• airnrail great to see Cape York online

Comment

• Sadly on the the issues of living near a river, bush and farm land. The amount of damage they cause in Wagga has been ongoing for some time! Lights in a pine trees really forever being fixed or replaced, roof on the Historic Council Chambers has had to be replaced, Sturt Mall lost plastic coated foam mouldings.

They are very smart birds, you think you found a solution and they quickly find away of destroying it!
                      F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by F-YPTN1 View Post
                        airnrail great to see Cape York online
                        Sure is - and we can now see the Air North E170s most of the way from Cairns to Gove without the dreaded dashed line (as long as F-YDVG1 is also working.

Comment

• Have gotten my RPi feeding to FR24 while I wait for the parts required to have the FR24 receiver back online.

As I'm using a PiAware image, it has made it rather difficult to get the FR24feed to run. Can get it manually to run but not automatically (meaning any reboot or power loss, requires to ssh to start it). Will flash a spare card with a light weight Linux (for RPi) and install everything.
                          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• It should work fine on the piaware image. (Did you run the fr24feed install script for RPi?)

The required fr24feed settings are explained here: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ng-dump1090-fa

Or you can just run this script, it takes care of configuring fr24feed (it won't mind that dump1090-fa is already installed): https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-sc...for-dump1090fa

Comment

• Balus.info Flight Radar for Queensland and NSW not working

Comment

• Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                                It should work fine on the piaware image. (Did you run the fr24feed install script for RPi?)

The required fr24feed settings are explained here: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ng-dump1090-fa
                                Yeah, used the install script but it was the starting of the FR24 feeder where the issue arose but think I sorted it as it restarted after I rebooted the RPi.

So have replaced my old dongle with a FA dongle, massive improvement, even though I have ~15m of cable to the antenna. Now to repurpose the old dongle for picking up air traffic comms.
                                F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Working...
                                X