Page 3 of 127 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Feeders

Super Moderator
    Whoever is near Melb will be rubbing their hands together at the visitors to Avalon for the show if today is anything to go by.

I've watched a local Learjet 35A (VH-LRX) fly in, A US gulfstream (N280GD) from Melb storage roll out and hop over. The learjet was in holding awaiting something for some time, and then a A330 tanker flew in behind. And currently Malta 9H-AVK is doing a tour around the south ex Avalon

And have it on good authority you will see Gulfstream Aviations own N650PH demo GLF650 (which is a sexy little aircraft!) arrive there this week

Super Moderator
    One more to the list. Japanese Airforce tanker http://fr24.com/JF601

No doubt with something less tracked in tow

A friend of mine is now hosting an FR24 receiver in Port Hedland, WA - about 4km from the runway at YPPD
    The antenna is indoors for the next couple of days until he gets the chance to put it on the roof but it can already see runway and taxiway traffic, and overlaps with T-YPKA1 at the higher flight levels
    That means for International traffic entering/leaving the West coast we now have uninterrupted coverage from near Margaret River in the south to somewhere between Port Hedland and Broome...
    - Matt
    T-YPPH2

Sound very good. We are waiting for the antenna to get moved outside

Remaining Embraer 190's in Australia without ADS-B

There are now only three Embraer 190's operating in Australia for Virgin Australia which are still not equipped with ADS-B transponders. Slowly all are being equipped (in fact many aircraft are doing so) in preparation for the mandatory requirement (in Australia) to fit and operate this equipment from December this year for all aircraft capable of flying at or above FL290 (29,000ft). Those Virgin aircraft still awaiting fitment are:

VH-ZPC
    VH-ZPD
    VH-ZPK

I've logged all three recently on my receiver (the first two as recently as today) and they should soon appear with ADS-B and be visible on FR24 (unless they flog them off and I've seen nothing to indicate this may happen).

I've just checked the CASA register and found 15 of these aircraft in the sequence ZPA-ZPO which are still listed as 'active' (and designated as ERJ190-100's just for the sake of interest).

Regarding the following comment from Mike, Australian coverage has continued to steadily improve over the recent past, something it would appear some have been calling for going by some thread comments. Well done guys (who feed) and well done FR24 team.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-09-25 at 22:14.

Another 4 ADS-B receivers will be sent to north, central and western Australia later this week. When installed we should have close to 100% coverage in Australia on FL290+

Flight attendant
    Mike any hits as to where besides "north, central and western Australia" the suspense is killing me ...

Flight attendant
    Now transmitting from T-YDKI1 Dunk Island

Captain
    T-YBNS Bairnsdale in East Gippsland is now feeding on a full time basis. Currently using a Terratec T-Stick DVB-T USB Stick (E4000)
    I built the antenna shown @ http://tech-software.net/1090_ant_02.JPG. Using RTL1090 Build 102 Beta on a standalone Dell 2400 PC
    with a wifi link to my router. Overall performance seems quite reasonable, out to 180nm on the Melbourne Auckland track. Now waiting
    on a TV28T v2 DVB-T USB Stick (R820T) having since read that this is a better chip than the E4000. Its also interesting to see the
    flights that do not make it onto FR24 for various reasons. So far I've spend about $100 on this and well a fair bit of time experimenting
    but its sure been fun.

Flight attendant
    G’day nomad77, glad to see you are having such fun with this great hobby.
    I also built Andrew Rich’s collinear design and found that while it worked OK, it did not seem to have the performance of the SSE 1090SJ mk2 ADS-B Antenna that I subsequently purchased commercially.
    I see that SiliconChip mag has recently published a very similar design to Andrew’s in their Sep 2013 issue but I noted a very different dimension for the upper element.
    Andrew’s design calls for 190mm but SiliconChip suggests 62mm. Other dimensions are almost the same.
    Unfortunately, SiliconChip have been a bit short on explanation of the “scaling up” from the 2.45GHz WiFi model that would result in a number similar to Andrew’s design.
    I have been tempted to try to go back to the old antenna and shave a bit off this element to see if that improves its performance. But now that I am feeding 24x7, that would require some down time and an uncomfortable trip to the roof.
    Maybe you would be interested to experiment with yours?