Page 11 of 127 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Feeders

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by POR911 View Post
    Yeah, agree about losing YBBN below about 2500ft. He went off line a week or so ago..I live on final for 01, and wondered why all of a sudden no a/c on FR24 and all ground movements gone. A few quick replies in another thread confirmed what you said here that the original YBBN feed as gone off air for what ever reason, meaning all traffic for YBBN is now reported by Geoff's F-YBBN in Towoomba, which is a bit far away for any detailed close up viewing of Brisbane. And yes, before you ask, I am looking at getting a feed set up for FR24, either supplied by FR24 or paid for by me, as this site has given me so much enjoyment, especially when hooking up the Live ATC.

Geoff....not sure what pie I will be
    The reason I like the raspberry pi + dongle setup is that it uses maybe 5w of power and can be left on 24/7 - approximate cost is RTL820T dongle + antenna pigtail $15 , Raspberry Pi model B $35, sd card - maybe $5, power supply $10 - then what ever is desired for an antenna ... for local low level fill in ... A dipole made by splitting some co-ax would probably be fine.

Flight attendant
    Yes, seems like a reasonable compromise to see how it all works. Saw the video about building the dipole from coax, which looks like a can-do type project.

Geoff

Captain
    I notice that T-YBBN17 is picking up a few planes at Brisbane today. I've only ever seen it in the past when T-YBBN1 has been down. This one doesn't seem to appear on any list of FR24 feeders. I also fancy that I have seen ?-YBBN18 at various times and it appears to be unlisted also.

Captain
    Now I've just found T-YBBN11! Never seen it before.

Super Moderator
    Much the same here across the ditch. Theres about 8 local feeders. Some only part time and others only appear when the main/faster uploaders are down

A lot of them are not forum members (some don't know what a forum is!) and just clicked the send-me-hardware link when it appeared. As with most people reading the word free

Flight attendant
    Yes, I saw where T-YBBN17, T-YBBN11, T-YBBN16 is active today, though most pickups are still F-YBBN1. Be good if we could actually see where the feeds are located. I appreciate as some feeds are not FR24 owned, but they are identified..Just curious as to the spread and proximity to the airport, as all FR24 feeds so far seem to not have "below 2500 foot" coverage, which for a major airport not the best. I now have to use http://planefinder.net/ for a/c below 2500 foot a/c, though, occasionally they still have some missing compared with http://www.balus.info/ which usually has all a/c, in the YBBN area between Coffs Harbour and Hervey bay with his dedicated local feed, though I wish it had the google map feature.
    Last edited by POR911; 2013-11-18 at 01:32.

Super Moderator
    Interesting. Planefinder uses Planeplotter secondary sharing (its set default in it) or their own app, so its likely like it was here to begin with. People got reciever some time ago, along with planeplotter.. and since they are getting the info they need are content with how it works or didn't know/dont care of the existence of other sites to worry about it.

Station T-YBBN18 has started yesterday and will be occasionally "on the air on daily basis".

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Paarmreader View Post
    Email has been sent requesting a change to F-YBWW1 or similar.
    Well I wish you better luck than I had. No explanation just "sorry". Really think this is the right way to piss off
    feeders. I've been told its a privacy issue but its our privacy at stake so if you want to be F-YBWW1 how in
    any way is that going to compromise your privacy. As far as I can see the "radar alias" are a complete farce.
    Eg F-YPAD1 = Moomba. I am not surprised that people stop feeding when they are treated this way. If there are
    real issues why not simply explain what they are.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by POR911 View Post
    Yes, seems like a reasonable compromise to see how it all works. Saw the video about building the dipole from coax, which looks like a can-do type project.

Geoff
    My first feed was using a E4000 chip and a home built ground plane antenna through RTL1090 worked reasonable well but if you can afford a professional antenna I think it well worth
    the expense. I now get aircraft out to 500km + with the FR24 box and antenna. My feed (T-YBNS1) is still running but is swamped by some bastard at Albury . I found it a worthwhile
    project and I hope you get up and running.