• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JustMe View Post
    Just received a note from MikeC.

My receiver alias has been changed from YMHU1 to YBSU1

Jim
    That change makes only marginally more sense. I would have thought that YCCA would have been the logical one if they were going to change it. I have directed a couple of people to this thread who can't work out why your feeder doesn't provide great coverage at the Sunshine Coast. By the way, I found an ADS-B equipped plane going into Dalby the other day and your receiver gets them almost onto the runway - pretty much the same as Chinchilla. Terrific coverage into NSW too - apart from one patch in central NSW it is now possible to track aircraft all the way from Melbourne to Cairns. Cheers. John

Comment

• Originally posted by Paarmreader View Post
      Wow, that's interesting considering that when I lodged a ticket, a week or so ago, that said this:
      Well clearly they can in view of Jim's recent experience. They don't appear able to get the message that while any old label may be OK for their purposes, people who use the product and feed into it want to be identified by their own location. I notice that no one at FR24 has replied to my comment a few days ago that maybe the loss of T-YBBN1 was the result of almost the same name being thoughtlessly allocated to your new feeder. Keep up the great work no matter what you have to call yourself. Cheers. John
      Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-11-30, 10:43. Reason: Quotation marks fixed.

Comment

• Thanks airnrail
        I have no idea how they pick the receiver aliases.
        On my coverage to the coast, I think it may be a line of sight situation, I'm at around 300 meters, but the countryside is as flat as a pancake. Sometimes a plane flying out my way is tracked from BNE by YBBN1, I had to take a look at my FR24 receiver to make sure it was working, it was, data LED is constantly flicking as it receives signals so I know it is OK.
        Congrats on seeing a plane at Dalby AP, you beat me to this one LOL

Thanks also to Paarmreader
        He is at 2,000 foot level so I guess height is might LOL.

Would like to see Bne AP get a FR24 setup up and running, I miss watching the planes taxing there and who ever it was they had excellent coverage from that spot.
        Jim.

Comment

• I've just noticed a new feeder T-YBBN21 that appears to be in covering the vicinity of Toowong to Bardon. As with a lot of the feeders that popped up after T-YBBN1 disappeared, has very small coverage.

I'm step 1 in my process to improve my coverage. Got my old netbook setup in a much better location (second floor away from the massive electrical interference in my office) but still using a E4000 tuner with my dodgy wire antenna. Next steps will be to replace with an R820T tuner (got a couple on the way) and to build a better antenna (will probably make a collinear coax).

Also, when did Brisbane Airport switch directions!!?? I was busy the last couple days and now the approach switched over to the ocean and takeoffs over Eagle Farm??

Comment

• Originally posted by Echo View Post
            I've just noticed a new feeder T-YBBN21 that appears to be in covering the vicinity of Toowong to Bardon. As with a lot of the feeders that popped up after T-YBBN1 disappeared, has very small coverage.

I'm step 1 in my process to improve my coverage. Got my old netbook setup in a much better location (second floor away from the massive electrical interference in my office) but still using a E4000 tuner with my dodgy wire antenna. Next steps will be to replace with an R820T tuner (got a couple on the way) and to build a better antenna (will probably make a collinear coax).

Also, when did Brisbane Airport switch directions!!?? I was busy the last couple days and now the approach switched over to the ocean and takeoffs over Eagle Farm??
            Good luck with your setup. It can be a lot of hard work at times to get it optimal but is really worth the effort.
            Regarding the direction of flights to/from BNE, aircraft land and takeoff into the wind (where possible) due to the fact that their airspeed is low and they need all the lift they can get. That's why they extend those extra bits on the wings called flaps during these periods. Landing and take off are actually the two most dangerous phases of flight. Perhaps you have some unusual wind conditions up there whereby the runway in use is generally Rwy01 rather than Rwy19 (onshore winds from the north)? Perhaps a southerly or sou'easter blew in requiring the use of Rwy19 when you werent looking (I'm not familiar with BNE weather). You'll get a good idea of the runway in use (if there arent aircraft already using it) if you listen to the ATIS or you can look it up on the net. Here in SYD/YSSY (Sydney) the active runway can be altered many times during the course of a day due to varying weather or perhaps some unusual event.
            Regards and hope this is helpful,
            Gregg
            Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-01, 02:53.
            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Well explained fungus.
              In Sydney's case of runway in use, you will often find aircraft using 25-07 when it's a crosswind. This is due to the airport having to share the noise around, when conditions permit they MUST use 25-07 for a certain number of takeoffs and landings periodically. And after curfew of 11pm in Sydney, ALL arrivals and departures are overwater (with some exceptions) and only approved aircraft types.
              F-YBNA2

Comment

• They can have all the rules they like but if the weather doesnt play its part, Rwy07/25 wont get used (see my comments on this subject on the other thread);
                All about Flightradar24.com web page and Flightradar24 apps. No discussions about feeding data to Flightradar24.

Then there's the conjestion aspect to consider as well.

Regards,
                Gregg
                YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• At Brisbane, most takeoff/landings are 01, unless we get a weather change move through, then it can revert to 19 for short time. The cross runways, 14/32 being much shorter than 01/19 tends to be used by the smaller a/c and are often used simultaneously with 01/19, with cautions to both a/c. Another reason why a runway change, is noise abatement procedures over the city area. Depending upon downwind (less than 10 knots and dry runway) and amount of traffic, air services will try and get take off's from 01 and landings on 19, (as this involves over water approach/departure) though with our prevailing wind being in excess of 10 knots, the majority of landings are 01. I live about 6kms from the end of 01
                  Last edited by POR911; 2013-12-01, 14:14.

Comment

• Hey Guys,
                    I am currently waiting on my receiver to arrive via the USA, I will be looking at adding another Radar for Brisbane Airport.
                    I live in Margate, not far from the airport in line of site. I hope to be able to see landing and taking off Aircraft. Lets hope anyway.
                    I should be up and running early January, just waiting on bits a pieces to arrive =)

Comment

• Originally posted by dencoby View Post
                      Hey Guys,
                      I am currently waiting on my receiver to arrive via the USA, I will be looking at adding another Radar for Brisbane Airport.
                      I live in Margate, not far from the airport in line of site. I hope to be able to see landing and taking off Aircraft. Lets hope anyway.
                      I should be up and running early January, just waiting on bits a pieces to arrive =)
                      Good one. Look forward to seeing you.

Comment

• Originally posted by dencoby View Post
                        Hey Guys,
                        Hello there,

If you are in line of sight of the airport I am quite sure you should see ground and approach traffic.

I live in close proximity to the airport, about 4 miles away and there is a small hill in between and I have no problems getting good signals for a/c on the ground and approach. Hopefully you have similar findings when your kit is all set up and running. Good luck.

Comment

• Just looking at FARM1 vh-knu and FARM2 vh-knsPhoto693.jpg flying together up Townsville way, seems to be a tow and glider affair
                          Jim

Comment

• i think the farm1 and 2 are targets for the toys from townsville,there whas a drgn around there to

Comment

• Yup, drgn came out of Darwin, he's been doing loops out close to Farm1 n 2 and then went seawards and doing loops there, Farm1 or 2 landed in Townsville
                              Never seen a Farm 1 or 2 B4.......
                              Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                                Yup, drgn came out of Darwin, he's been doing loops out close to Farm1 n 2 and then went seawards and doing loops there, Farm1 or 2 landed in Townsville
                                Never seen a Farm 1 or 2 B4.......
                                Jim
                                G'Day Jim I think you might find that these FARM planes are Westwind corporate jets operated by PelAir which I think is now part of Rex Aviation. I've seen them somewhere before other than NQ and looked them up at the time. Defence probably do charter them to tow targets or whatever. Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                                X