Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Moved your post to join our merry band and rather informative Kiwi thread

What range does the WiMO cover? you may find its only 1-2dB at the required 1090mhz

You can get surprising gain from a DIY colinear or simple omni before going the amp route. I made one from a welding rod and some plans online and it was quite capable of 140nm

Afterall, pre-amp of noise is just more noise

Thanks

I think it's 5dB of 1070 - 1110 MHz. I'm picking up 100-150nm at present but I want to see if I can grab a bit more. I live on top of a hill in Wellington so have a good vantage point.

Comment

• I just had a very heavy C-130 using a KIW callsign fly over, followed 5 minutes later by a 757 again using KIW. Wonder where they're off to? It's a shame we don't have MLAT north of AKL - I've applied for an FR24 receiver, haven't heard back.

Comment

• Kia Ora Mattt,.

yes I agree with you Matt.
        ANZ.jpg

Regarding your reply, It could be quick,. or take a while,. Depending on the requirement of the location.
        As they get thousands of request,. for Recievers.

The red aircraft,. My daughter in law was on going up to WRE,. And I had followed her from MAN (Manchester) UK
        to that point.
        Therefore we certainly do need Host in that area, and more Northerly.. AS MLAT requires four F-. Recievers to be seen on screen.

Just one farther point,. When you get your package,. the Higher the Antenne,. the better the results..
        Last edited by delcomp; 2015-05-06, 07:03.
        (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
        1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Originally posted by delcomp View Post
          Kia Ora Mattt,.
          we certainly do need Host in that area, and more Northerly.. AS MLAT requires four F-. Recievers to be seen on screen.
          Just one farther point,. When you get your package,. the Higher the Antenne,. the better the results..
          My existing antenna is up about as high as I can get it. I'm limited by terrain

50nm range rings:

NZAA12-Range-20150320.jpg
          Last edited by Matt_R; 2015-05-06, 08:08.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure there's still nothing in Taupo, but it'd be useful to have something up there with Sounds Air starting their PC-12 flights to Wellington on 2 June.

Comment

• Had the UH-1s in CHC today for their sign off at Wigram to those who served wit them. Been fab to hear 3 in formation cruising around.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
                I'm pretty sure there's still nothing in Taupo, but it'd be useful to have something up there with Sounds Air starting their PC-12 flights to Wellington on 2 June.
                From the list of receivers I have created there are no known ones in the Taupo area.

Does any know if F-NZUK1 is still operating, as have not seen it for a very long time

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt_R View Post
                  I just had a very heavy C-130 using a KIW callsign fly over, followed 5 minutes later by a 757 again using KIW. Wonder where they're off to? It's a shame we don't have MLAT north of AKL - I've applied for an FR24 receiver, haven't heard back.
                  If you look at the Squawk code and it starts with 6xxx then the flight is a domestic military flight. If it starts like 02xx then it is destined for overseas somewhere, the majority of flights destined for the NZ oceanic airspace have a Squawk starting with 02xx and I've seen nothing yet that hasn't followed this trend so it's a good indication of domestic/international traffic.

Inbound flights from overseas tend to have 1xxx from Australian airports and 4xxx from Nadi/SFO OCA's.
                  Michael
                  Palmerston North,
                  New Zealand
                  ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Considering the purchase of an airband hand held scanner, so can listen in to ATC when out photographing planes, would like option of connecting to external antenna when at home. Any particular brands better than others. Your opinions much appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
                      Considering the purchase of an airband hand held scanner, so can listen in to ATC when out photographing planes, would like option of connecting to external antenna when at home. Any particular brands better than others. Your opinions much appreciated.
                      Depends on your budget, Uniden has ranges of handheld scanner so you can pick one based on your budget.

Comment

• The uniden budget range have BNC antenna connections, but not so flash in the low end band (fine on UHF stuff) range.

Can't go wrong with a 2nd hand AOR. They often have BNC or SMA connectors you can get adaptors for. Key would be to look for a ciggy lighter power capable one
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                          The uniden budget range have BNC antenna connections, but not so flash in the low end band (fine on UHF stuff) range.

Can't go wrong with a 2nd hand AOR. They often have BNC or SMA connectors you can get adaptors for. Key would be to look for a ciggy lighter power capable one
                          AOR... can only dream of owning one, even a 2nd hand ones for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
                            Considering the purchase of an airband hand held scanner, so can listen in to ATC when out photographing planes, would like option of connecting to external antenna when at home. Any particular brands better than others. Your opinions much appreciated.
                            I have owned scanners for a few years now..have an Icom ICR-5 higher priced than your Unidens but a good performer and a nice compact size ,comes with charger ,you should be able to get a cigarette lighter charger.
                            It can also be hooked up to external antenna and speaker or headphone.

Comment

• Picking up RNZAF NH90 at 9750ft, Not sure where it is exactly. Perhaps prince Harry is heading to Ch-Ch on it.

Comment

• Flew over the house about 10 minutes ago using callsign ROYAL01...

Comment

Working...
                                X