New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primarily my planeplotter is an expensive database writer
    Unfortunately, although I did apply for the FR24 box I was not considered to be in the right place for one so I will stay with the 'expensive' PlanePlotter option . I quite like the mapping features on PP..
    Last edited by Petenz; 2016-12-07, 22:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
      Unfortunately, although I did apply for the FR24 box I was not considered to be in the right place for one so I will stay with the 'expensive' PlanePlotter option . I quite like the mapping features on PP..
      If you're starting from scratch look for one of the newer SDR USB sticks that have TCO with less than 1 pps drift and the newer RTL2832U + R820T2 chip set.
      EG:
      https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2...U72,B014OH57S4

This one is especially cute but haven't actually tried one:
      https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR...6&keywords=SDR

Comment

• If you're only interested in 1090Mhz, the newest one from FlightAware is probably the best choice. It has a wideband front end amplifier and a real 1090Mhz filter internal so you don't have to buy the external barrel version. I don't see anywhere that a TCO oscillator is included but if you're only interested in 1090MHz ADS-B, a few pps drift should not matter. If you are interested in broadand SDR applications like monitoring local radio traffic, then you don't want to buy this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...bhz_bw_c_x_1_w

Comment

• You do realise he has 2 mode -s beasts mounted on hills covering most of the south island right.

Doesn't need any SDRs

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            You do realise he has 2 mode -s beasts mounted on hills covering most of the south island right.

Doesn't need any SDRs

No I did not know that from reading the last few posts. I stand corrected. Most people that are requesting FR24 receivers do not have anything to begin with so I was suggesting hardware for starters.

So if he takes down his feeders he could qualify for a free FR24 box? Just a thought .

Comment

• One other thing on that FR24 box issue, AFAIK FR24 mlat depends on FR24 boxes to calculate. None of the thousands of RPI's are able to contribute unlike FA's piaware and others. So it if that's still true then anyone with great coverage and equipment should have a priority for an FR24 box.

Comment

• T-NZAS1 might be off air for a bit. There was a bit of lightning about on Sunday afternoon and kid disconnected all electronic devices.
                Serial port has dissappeared on the computer sort of(is now hidden) and may have tickled up the Beast as well. No flicking lights anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam26K View Post
                  One other thing on that FR24 box issue, AFAIK FR24 mlat depends on FR24 boxes to calculate. None of the thousands of RPI's are able to contribute unlike FA's piaware and others. So it if that's still true then anyone with great coverage and equipment should have a priority for an FR24 box.
                  Not so.

MLAT requires 4+ receivers.
                  - FR24 Receiver produced MLAT prioritised for accuracy
                  - Various combinations of receivers can contribute with GPS/time tagged receivers
                  - at least 1x FR24 receiver needed in combination
                  You may want to geographically look at NZ and how much MLAT coverage there is given our size and spread. It's already present widely thanks to the F- boxes now present. For about 90% of the country So further requests are being denied.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Clearly have their own theory and ideals on position. I was surprised myself on the release of the F- receivers for obvious reason as to why new requests were asked for

FIRST SEEN ONLINE: 2012-03-27 08:10:14

And that was only when they started logging the app. It was java based before the applications we see in zip files now.

Comment

• Ok, thanks for clarifying that Oblivian.

"- Various combinations of receivers can contribute with GPS/time tagged receivers "

I am still having a problem understanding that requirement. Most RPI's do not have GPS time stamps unless they are equipped with a GPS receiver which is an option most people do not have.
                      Are you saying that if if the RPI feeders have a gps radio that they can contribute to MLAT calcs?

TIA

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam26K View Post
                        Ok, thanks for clarifying that Oblivian.

"- Various combinations of receivers can contribute with GPS/time tagged receivers "

I am still having a problem understanding that requirement. Most RPI's do not have GPS time stamps unless they are equipped with a GPS receiver which is an option most people do not have.
                        Are you saying that if if the RPI feeders have a gps radio that they can contribute to MLAT calcs?

TIA
                        Don't even start to go down that rail-roading all over again in this thread. You well know its been explained so many times GPS receivers will NOT ENHANCE the FR24 feed app on a Pi receiver. But guess what, they can process time tagged 12mhz data.

F- boxes do it with GPS. As do Radarcapes. It's made that broad to say it doesn't need to be all F (GPS). It doesn't need to be all SDR based (12mhz Timestamp). But a combination still provides calculation result data

You may want to read the many threads again as a reminder

MLAT
                        MLAT can only be contributed at this time by RPi and DVBT with Dump1090 capable of MLAT tag enabled, or Radarcape based receivers
                        RPi MLAT will NOT be enhanced with a USB GPS module
                        - due to interface/port transmission speeds adding jitter delays NTP is used for syncronised reference data

Comment

• Thanks for the reply and did not intend to railroad or offend anyone with the repeated question even though I still do not completely understand the explanations .

Comment

• For normal transmissions... Westone. Petenz et'al, having fun with the daily updates to our local flight databases?

Lots of new eks and china southern frames in the mix. Along with the new 789s doing Perth.

Comment

• Who does the F70 that is cruising at 47000 down the south Is belong to???

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• At a guess..

Executive Jet Management/Ford Motors Gulfstream G550 N322K arrived in Rotorua 23 December from Melbourne as "Jetspeed 322".
                                /edit well more than a guess :P

And dbase in FR24 is out of date for it

Good ALT tho!
                                Last edited by Oblivian; 2016-12-25, 23:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X