Page 53 of 298 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Radar

Purser
    My Mode S Beast has arrived, I'll probably get it up and running first thing Friday on my first day off

It will be interesting to see what happens to my coverage compared to the dongle.

Last edited by 41south; 2013-04-09 at 09:44.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by 41south View Post
    My Mode S Beast has arrived, I'll probably get it up and running first thing Friday on my first day off

It will be interesting to see what happens to my coverage compared to the dongle.

As fare as I have been able to follow T-NZWN2 has been very impressive. The constrains on you will probably be the terrain around you. Of course the Beast is more powerful than the dongle, but would think elevation of the antenna is the most important improvement you can do.

Btw. Do you run a weather station as well?

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpin View Post
    Btw. Do you run a weather station as well?
    I used to run one at www.41south.net.nz. It's been down since I shifted houses a few months back but it is on the list to get back back up and running - along with a webcam that will overlook the airport.

FR24 -NZTU1,PP-Pv,Geraldine, Sth Canterbury.
    I am asking for a friend who is interested ....what did it cost landed in NZ ? Are there full instructions in English ?

Purser
    I purchased mine via JMZ Store. It's the single channel complete kit which was 292 Euro - landed in NZ around $420 NZD

Instructions are all available here http://www.modesbeast.com/how-to-complete.html for building with lots of other info off the Mode-S Beast website as well.

Captain
    Hi 41south,

I assume you know the youtube videos showing soldering for the beast? just search for nextgen1090 if you haven't. I found it really useful, but then again u might be someone in the electronics field and hence far more competent than me.

Anyway hope you enjoy assembling it and getting it working, I know I enjoyed it when I did mine and it still brings satisfaction seeing it work.
    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-04-10 at 11:31.

Purser
    Thanks for the info NBR, I'll check out the video but the instructions are pretty good. I've worked in electronics for over 30 years so my soldering is pretty reasonable I do stay clear of small SMD stuff though - without the proper tools.
    Last edited by 41south; 2013-04-10 at 22:51.

I purchased mine via JMZ Store. It's the single channel complete kit which was 292 Euro - landed in NZ around $420 NZD
    Many thanks for that info 41 South. Hope the Beast performs for you; when I got mine (built up) it was falling apart and needed some serious work to get it operating. They can be fairly flimsy items unlike those older radios built in the 70/80's. I have a very nice AR-2002 VHF receiver old,but a goody still as it allows me to listen to pilot and control information.

First officer
    I'm enchanted by the ATR-76s. Now this morning both MVA and MVB are on their way to Dunedin

ATR76.JPG

I'm enchanted by the ATR-76s. Now this morning both MVA and MVB are on their way to Dunedin
    ZK-MVC is due in April according to my info; anyone know what date in April?