No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Certain organizations and Companys,. request that,. there flights be Not shown

Dont ask me how Flightaware are different,. Because I dont know..
      Last edited by delcomp; 2013-07-17, 08:58.
      (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
      1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• How? Cause its a 30 year old aircraft based on a 747-100 where ADSB wasn't a glint in the current eye Its got a 20 tonne telescope in the back, but it appears they forgot to upgrade the avionics

They happily flaunt their flightplans (via the FAA hence the waypoints listed on flightaware) on facebook and their website and then their position is uploaded via associated ground stations and or satellite
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• What is (not) going on in Wellington? No traffic and NZ459 is returning to AKL.
          NZ459.JPG

Sorry, found the answer. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10901180
          Last edited by Kpin; 2013-07-21, 07:06. Reason: found answer

Comment

• Beat me to it

Yes, central NZ has had a 6.5 and other 'moderate' quakes. As a precaution for the airport being on reclaimed land it is closed for procedual checks
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              Beat me to it

Yes, central NZ has had a 6.5 and other 'moderate' quakes. As a precaution for the airport being on reclaimed land it is closed for procedual checks
              Amazing! If you look at the list of resent jolts in the Wellington region on geonet, it only has space for the last hour of activity!!!

The severe one from 5 pm is long gone ...

Comment

• Could someone fill me in on how fog affects flights in NZ ? One morning earlier this week, the Herald reported fog at Auckland. The international inbounds were still landing as normal, and domestic jets were operating to/from WLG/CHC, but the regional turboprops were grounded. Last Saturday night some SYD/MEL-CHC flights went into a hold for a few orbits, then diverted to AKL/WGN (eg NZ804 & VOZ62).

Is it something like
                * in lighter fog, jets carry ILS etc so can still land, and the pilots have large cajones so they can take off ? Turboprops are making visual approaches so grounded ?
                * in heavy fog, nothing can operate because you can't see where you're going on the taxiways and during takeoff

Comment

• Hole in 1

AKL is ILS CAT3 for the A380s Whereas the putputs can only manage DME/Visual

So you can land in pea soup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTajYd3qugY

Takeoff is always easier as long as you don't need a long rotation.

Comment

• ARG 1181 currently sneaking past overhead Stewart Island on the way back to Argentina 23.07 nzdt

Comment

• B777 flights are also usually Cat lll landing capable also. ATRs, Q300s will go down to 300ft and then go around if they cannot see lights or runway. Iv'e often seen Turbo props get in then following jet traffic go around mainly because of the approach speed of the jets is higher and decision time is shorter.Most aircraft require at least 1200mtrs horizontal visabilty on the runway before they will shoot an approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by nzdn1 View Post
                        B777 flights are also usually Cat lll landing capable also. ATRs, Q300s will go down to 300ft and then go around if they cannot see lights or runway. Iv'e often seen Turbo props get in then following jet traffic go around mainly because of the approach speed of the jets is higher and decision time is shorter.Most aircraft require at least 1200mtrs horizontal visabilty on the runway before they will shoot an approach.
                        You are basically right but there is more to it than just that.

All commercial aircraft can do ILS CAT I approaches, some airliners can do CAT II or CAT III ILS approaches. But it is not only about the aircraft. The pilots and the approach systems (runway, taxiways, lights, ILS equipment) must be qualified/certified. Among others the ILS has to be check and calibrated at intervals to specific tolerances.

For each ILS category there are minimums for the height the aircraft can descend to, and the horizontal visibility. The minimums depend on both the runway environment and surrounding terrain, and on the nominal approach speed of the aircraft which will vary with type. So it may very well be that a Q300 or Beech 1900D can descent lower than a B737 on the same ILS category.

The decision to go around is taken at the 'Missed Approach Point'. At Dunedin’s runway 21 this is at altitude 303 feet for all types of aircraft, but in at Christchurch’s runway 20 it is at 310 feet for aircraft catagory A, B and C, but 323 for Catagory D. The minimum visibility is 1200 feet at Dunedin, but only 800 feet at Christchurch.
                        Without the ILS the minimums becomes way higher.

At Auckland the difference between CAT I and CAT II is very clear. For CAT I the minimums are 215 feet altitude and 800 feet visibility, but for CAT IIIB there is 0 feet minimum altitude and 75 feet RVR (Runway Visibility Range, which is even shorter that 'normal' visibility). This means the pilots on an A380 or B777 can land in Auckland without actually seeing the runway before touchdown. The 75 feet is just so they can make a qualified guess about where to turn off the runway :-)

Approach charts can be found here http://www.aip.net.nz/ under Aerodrome Charts.

Kpin - pilot of sorts

Comment

• Kpin (and others)

Great pieces on this very important aspect of aviation. There is however one more important piece to the equation and that is company policies and procedures. They can cover every aspect of a flight from how many times the pilot must 'kick the tyres' before take off to who flies the aircraft at which stage of flight (who will be the PIC or Pilot in Command). This may come into play in relation to a recent event which I wont elaborate on here (and shouldnt) as it is currently under investigation. (wink, wink)

As for this particular case and as will be in many others, a company may have a policy requiring greater visibility than another flying the same aircraft type over and above the prescribed minima (in the approach plates) at a particular airport and every airport will be different. So it may apprear on the surface that one aircraft lands while another of the same type executes a go-around. This may have nothing to do with any problem, change in weather or pilot bravado, but simply the applicable procedures of the airlines. This is one reason it is so important for a pilot to have training in and be proficient and experienced in flying into a particular airport on a particular aircraft type as well as the airline he/she may be flying for. Those guys are one of the most highly skilled and trained (and overseen) groups in the world and hats off to them for what they achieve.

There are two main runways over here into SYD (one longer than the other). It isnt uncommon when listening to ATC after a pilot has been issued the active runway (which may be the shorter one) on approach on which he is to land that he requests the longer one. ATC will then ask 'is it procedural'? and if the response is affirmative the pilot will be given the longer runway. (The 'procedural' in this case may well refer to both the aircraft type and/or company procedures).

Regards,
                          Gregg

Note: I'm simply responding to other posts on this thread. I hope I'm not going to get clobbered over the head (again) for doing so.
                          Last edited by fungus; 2013-07-24, 01:58.
                          YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Just checked my PP logs and I see that the second ANZ sharklet A320 ZK-OXB (C82089) landed at NZCH last night at about 22:40.

Comment

• Poose it did too!

And did a trip at 4am just after SOFIA 747 got back in

23-07-2013 22:42 New Contact - NZ6399 C82089

Comment

• The trip at 4am was just taxiing but there was thick fog here at times overnight so perhaps they had to park after landing and wait for a clearance...

Comment

Working...
                                X