Page 3 of 298 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Radar

Hi ZK-NBS,

There is a Primary radar head at Auckland Airport and a Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) head up in the Waitakere Ranges, both feed into the national ATC network controlled from Christchurch.

Super Moderator
    Hey guys,

I noticed 3 contacts on NZCH 2 days ago, and 2 today also. Mostly down the West coast of the island.

As it so happens I'm thinking of adding my own station via microUSB unit from here if I can find a server somewhere thats 24/7.

As it stands I have been working this past weekend on a ACARS setup similar to nzradar

We are fairly flat and have a heap of visitors yearly.

Passenger
    Oblivian,

Not sure where you are located, but if i can assist in getting more coverage in NZ as has been done with the additon of NZPM (congratulations Mike), then please let me know,

Brent

Super Moderator
    Ahh the illusive NZCH

I'm in christchurch also, and cursing you beat me too it haha!. Over near QE2 stadium.

I get the approach for 29 fly overhead, or the guys on right track for 02. And have good LoS to the northern pattern.

Miro has another shipment due in a few weeks. If it will help CHC coverage I'll arrange one.

I would have thought we would see a few more hits around CHC given the number of Airbus flights we see? Sure get a heap on acars

Passenger
    We need to get your receiver on line to cover the bits I don't.
    I have a really high gain antenna which has very flat lobes in it's pattern, with the result that I have about a 2mile radius tube centered above my house (Prebbleton) where I get very poor coverage.
    I guess you can't have it both ways, either good range or good local coverage.
    The Airbus hits are getting better as Air NZ is starting to use them more on it's domestic services.

NZCH: If you send me an e-mail mike(a)flight24.com I can forward it to NZPM and ask him to contact you.

Passenger
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the offer. I am not trying to get in contact with NZPM. It is Oblivian, also here in Christchurch that I need to assist to fill the gaps in the Christchurch coverage.

Great to see more coverage of NZ!!

Brent

Super Moderator
    I'll wait for Miro to let me know when he gets the next shipment and see how I go then

I don't expect much being a PIC unit if I just combine it with my current antenna. Its a full range 25-1300Mhz on the top of a pole on the sky dish mount. So I don't expect much gain up that end with the standard 50OHM BNC run I have on it.

Does OK for ATC and UHF CB though But there's always the DIY 1008Mhz giudes.

Marl, Germany 1Km NNW of EDLM-( T-EDLM1 [F_EDLE1] )

Another new Kiwi :)

Seen our new buddy today,.

So A Big Welcome on Board to our NZPM

Just waiting now for NZAA then I reckon NZ will be covered

Keeping an eye on my Paradise Island
    Regards David

Passenger
    Yes a big thanks for the newly added NZPM Radar!