No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's interesting, Velocity is not approved for VOZ, still Bluebird.
    Michael
    Palmerston North,
    New Zealand
    ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
      There appears to be a new receiver in the Westport area (F-NZWS2) which is getting some very good coverage out in the Tasman, It was also tracking a couple of flights from SYD & MEL to ZQN before D-NZNV3 took over.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6638[/ATTACH]
      This one is on an 1100m mountain top sitting about 8km back from the coastline.
      Stats have maximum distance for today of 349nm!
      Looking at the receiver log it seems they're limited to 350nm?
      [feed][c]Max range AIR: 350.0nm

FR24-1.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by lokeynz View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6641[/ATTACH]
        Good on you! No doubt over the next month you will climb the ranging stats day by day.
        F-NZWS2 stat.JPG

Go and add your username in the account settings, please

Comment

• Originally posted by lokeynz View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6641[/ATTACH]
          Nice pic showing the antenna and its surrounding. Thanks for sharing. How does it gets the internet feed? Is it via long range wifi?

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
            Nice pic showing the antenna and its surrounding. Thanks for sharing. How does it gets the internet feed? Is it via long range wifi?
            Yes, the internet feed is 21km away and delivered via point to point wifi link.
            The site is a repeater for wireless internet so the wifi and ethernet equipment was already in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
              Congratulations. Please show us your polar plot once you have had it running for a few days
              Here's the polar from Saturday as requested, is pretty typical of what I get most days, max range is 238 and every day has been above 220

polar.png

I do seem to have a bit of a dead area to the N and NW, might be getting shielded by other stuff at the top of the mast - but as it is a weather station primarily, the other stuff has priority

Comment

• KeriWX,

Going off a tangent here, can you offer some advice about getting a personal weather station?

I have been browsing around for weather stations, I am looking for something that is sturdy and can upload to the IoT i.e. wunderground, ideally without a PC. Budget is perhaps max at USD700. From my reading it seems that faults do occur with the davis and other similar priced kits. I also had a look at texas weather instrument, looks robust but way off budget and that haven't include shipping fees yet! As you own a weather station please can you share your thoughts? Weather at my place here is tropical. Thanks.

Additional post: I am also looking at sparkfun's wimp https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...o-wunderground. Just not so sure how long it last. But it seems I can learn a lot from building it from scratch.
                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-11-09, 13:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                  KeriWX,

Going off a tangent here, can you offer some advice about getting a personal weather station?

I have been browsing around for weather stations, I am looking for something that is sturdy and can upload to the IoT i.e. wunderground, ideally without a PC. Budget is perhaps max at USD700. From my reading it seems that faults do occur with the davis and other similar priced kits. I also had a look at texas weather instrument, looks robust but way off budget and that haven't include shipping fees yet! As you own a weather station please can you share your thoughts? Weather at my place here is tropical. Thanks.

Additional post: I am also looking at sparkfun's wimp https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...o-wunderground. Just not so sure how long it last. But it seems I can learn a lot from building it from scratch.
                  As this is really the wrong forum I'll be brief.
                  My Davis has been performing faultlessly for about 6 years, as do most of them. Wireless VP2's have a lot of different sensors that can be added later, they also have options to connect to Davisnet without need for PC. There is no need to pay the retail prices shown on websites.

I guess if anyone wants more details we should start another thread or exchange PM's.

Comment

• Well my pre-adding the dash-8s to the dbase thread worked

jetstardash.jpg
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• ANZ31.JPG
                      Here is ANZ31 flight from EZE to AKL about to disappear off flight radar for a few hours until it returns home to NZ.

Comment

• Today I notice the new Jetstar Dash 8s are showing up, under Eastern Australia flag, at Nelson and Napier. The flag on PP says Qantas Link.

Comment

• Also saw a flight track from Wiellington heading down to Antarctica; didn't see the plane, but guess a C130 or C17.

Comment

• You'll have to edit your local database. They are owned by eastern aus. But were operated by Qantas. Just as nelson air own the anz ones here

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                              Also saw a flight track from Wiellington heading down to Antarctica; didn't see the plane, but guess a C130 or C17.
                              This was Air New Zealand flight NZ31 returning from Argentina. Started to track it at 4.10am, lost it over Wellington 44 minutes later. Might get to see this more often

Comment

• This was Air New Zealand flight NZ31 returning from Argentina. Started to track it at 4.10am, lost it over Wellington 44 minutes later. Might get to see this more often
                                yes Iheard that ANZ was starting to fly to BA , but never expected to see it flying such a deep great circle track . If it becomes a regular flight it will add more interest to my Eastern skies.

Comment

Working...
                                X