Coax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coax

As with most things in life you get what you pay for but can often get away with using cheap stuff.
    So my Q is, what is the best coax cable and why

I was told once at while looking at antennas (oddly enough by the bloke selling them) "you would recieve just as good a signal from the coax as wasting money on an antenna"

I just wondered what you all use to receive with, not too bothered about transmitting as I dont.
    Also connections, which are good and bad
    Thanks

The bigger the better at 2Ghz.

RG213, LMR-400, LDF4-50A. In about that order
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Aloha,

There is some pretty good material on the subject, understandable too, on DPD Productions website in the FAQ section on Coax. http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_faq.html#coax

Comment

Hiya,

I use the dpd one and http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm as reference for coax cable.

Do remember the less signal loss, the more stiffer the cable is. i.e. have a look at cable diameter and bending radius as this will influence the ease of cable installation.

another one is the H155 low loss coax cable that I use along with the PCB antenna with good result.

all the best
        Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-01-16, 01:19.

Comment

The larger diameter the better. Better than that, though, is shorter length. I put my equipment 100' up a tower which already had 120 VAC available, but something like this could be used to use PoE to extract power (obviously with a PoE injector at the bottom) for your equipment at the top of the tower.

Comment

Do you have the receiver on the tower and if so, how is it weatherproofed?
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by mhammett View Post
              The larger diameter the better. Better than that, though, is shorter length. I put my equipment 100' up a tower which already had 120 VAC available, but something like this could be used to use PoE to extract power (obviously with a PoE injector at the bottom) for your equipment at the top of the tower.

http://tyconpower.com/products/files...Spec_Sheet.pdf
              Interesting. Please can you show us pictures of how your setup is done, if possible, so that we can see how it is done? What receiver do you use?

Note: On hindsight, maybe it's not that easy to get pictures.
              Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-01-22, 10:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
                Do you have the receiver on the tower and if so, how is it weatherproofed?
                It is in a NEMA box.

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                Interesting. Please can you show us pictures of how your setup is done, if possible, so that we can see how it is done? What receiver do you use?

Note: On hindsight, maybe it's not that easy to get pictures.

There is a bunch of stuff in there that doesn't have anything to do with Flightradar. As I said, I'm still just using 120 VAC on the tower, but one could use PoE if they didn't already have power at the top.

Due to my antenna height and relatively short coax run (20'), I've seen planes over 460 km away and I've only been operational since Saturday.
                Last edited by mhammett; 2013-01-22, 13:34.

Comment

It is in a NEMA box.

There is a bunch of stuff in there that doesn't have anything to do with Flightradar. As I said, I'm still just using 120 VAC on the tower, but one could use PoE if they didn't already have power at the top.

Due to my antenna height and relatively short coax run (20'), I've seen planes over 460 km away and I've only been operational since Saturday.
                  cheers for that. You are lucky being able to set it up at that kind of site and having the facilities. Very useful for future ideas...

Comment

Thanks. I am working on getting some sites up with some of my colleagues.

Comment

Thanks, wonder who that guy in the middle in picture 14 is?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Wonder who that guy in the middle in picture 14 is?
                        If you find out, let me know. ;-)

Comment

It is in a NEMA box.

All that bunch non Flighradar stuff are point to point links with Microtik, right?? =)

Comment

Originally posted by sinnet3000 View Post
                            All that bunch non Flighradar stuff are point to point links with Microtik, right?? =)
                            I have Ubiquiti PtP and Mikrotik sectors. Looking at possibly getting a 6 GHz licensed link this year.

Comment

Working...
                            X