Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump AirNav Radarbox, buy SBS-3 ?

Dump AirNav RadarBox and buy SBS-3 ?

Any expert advise on whether I should do this ?
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

You can read Anmer's thread on it.

--------------------------------------------

Thread: Would I Buy an SBS-3?
    I get quite a lot of emails asking this question. The answer, as always, depends what you want to do.
    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Thanks - I have read that posting but still undecided.

I am tired of dealing with a piece of crappy RadarBox 3D Software that crashed whenever I closed any other software I was using & stealing my Data without my permission.
      F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Depends what you want out of the hobby and your specific interest.

As someone who's been "radarspotting" since 2005 and has both receivers, this is my personal opinion.

RadarBox

The receiver is prone to hardware failure and often needs repairing though usually undertaken free of charge.

The receiver isn't as good as the SBS-3 - less aircraft picked up.

The RadarBox software has some useful features that Basestation doesn't, such as filtering and integrated database - aircraft, photos and routes.

The RadarBox server that delivers the database suffers outages and data integrity issues.

AirNav uploads data from the RadarBox without the customer's express permission to resell as RadarBox24.com. I regard this as theft and have reported AirNav to the Communications Ombudsman.

RadarBox has a shared network if you subscribe.

There are many reported software bugs but there have been no software updates for over three years.

The RadarBox receiver is the only one that can't provide raw data for the PlanePlotter Mlat and Beamfinder aircraft plotting options.

Less expensive than the SBS-3

SBS-3

Probably the best receiver available today.

Includes a 6 channel Software Defined Radio

Regular firmware and software updates

No subscription data sharing but free, third-party option hosted by F24

No integrated database but all features are available for free using third-party options

Basestation software is highly customisable

Supports PlanePlotter's Mlat and Beamfinder

More expensive than the RadarBox

Conclusions

Although Basestation doesn't have all the features of RadarBox, I prefer its map which I can customise it to my preferred look and feel. I'm more "at home" with Basestation than RadarBox which is possibly why the SBS family has outsold Radarbox in the order of three to one.

The SBS-3 is more expensive now as RadarBox has been forced to drop its price but the new Puck from Kinetic is said to use the same hardware as the SBS-3, albeit without the SDR. At a rumoured price of GBP £250, the Puck will be a strong competitor.

If you decide to change, sell your RadarBox sooner rather than later as I expect the resale value will drop even further once the Puck is released.
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I have been "plane spotting" since 1979 - from the window of my bed room where I can see planes taking off and landing in WSSS.

It was only 3 years ago that I got really interested in plane spotting after the Iceland volcano blew up and cause chaos in the aviation industries.

I was swayed by AirNav Systems colourful sales materials with some HOT AIRS Descriptions of their products capabilities - that turned out to be nothing but BULL-SHITS.

There are plus and minus in AirNav RadarBox - the worst that really pissed me off is their lack of response whenever I tried to contact them.

Crappy software is not updated and crashed whenever I use other softwares. Then they banned their customers for telling the truth of their THEFT !

Most likely, I will ditch AirNav RadarBox and go the for SBS-3. A Company that pissed off their customer don't deserve to exist !

Whether I sell the AirNav RadarBox 3D or not is immaterial to me - maybe, I just toss it out of my 25 th floor apartment window and video it landing on the hard concrete ground floor - so I can Post the Video on YouTube.
          Last edited by Birdie; 2013-01-15, 15:22.

Comment

Do you have the email address of the Communications Ombudsman ?

Comment

the SBS-3 is definitely the better ADS-B receiver. Since I got mine in November the AirNav Radarbox is off line. Additionally it can receive AIS ship messages with a very good sensitivity.

@ Birdie. Why not trying first an alternative solution with cheap RTL SDR stick from Sim Lim and the RTL1090 software http://rtl1090.web99.de The range is not bad and with your new antenna it might cover the same area as with your RB. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/r...sh/message/301

Comment

Originally posted by mani210 View Post
                the SBS-3 is definitely the better ADS-B receiver. Since I got mine in November the AirNav Radarbox is off line. Additionally it can receive AIS ship messages with a very good sensitivity.

@ Birdie. Why not trying first an alternative solution with cheap RTL SDR stick from Sim Lim and the RTL1090 software http://rtl1090.web99.de The range is not bad and with your new antenna it might cover the same area as with your RB. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/r...sh/message/301

I already got a AirNav RadarBox. But, I plan to dump AirNav and go for the SBS-3.

Setting up my new 10dBi collinear soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                  I already got a AirNav RadarBox. But, I plan to dump AirNav and go for the SBS-3.

Setting up my new 10dBi collinear soon.
                  Do let us know how the antenna performs and the shipment and installation! can't wait to have a look at WSSS when u get it installed. Btw, what antenna are you using currently? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                    Do let us know how the antenna performs and the shipment and installation! can't wait to have a look at WSSS when u get it installed. Btw, what antenna are you using currently? Cheers
                    You guys going to have a good laugh if you see my antenna " temporary installation " - hanging by a rope on the outside of my room window.

IMG-20130115-00655.jpgoutside 20.jpgoutside 26.jpgoutside 34.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the pics... well, I suppose.. it works with that!

You and WBGG must overlap somewhere in the middle of the ocean! along as other radars at west malaysia.

That's the LR 1090 from Andy at Munich??? Impressive, given that it's a 'temporary installation'. What cables do you use? Receiver would be your next quest I suspect.
                      All the best

Comment

Thanks for the pics... well, I suppose.. it works with that!

You and WBGG must overlap somewhere in the middle of the ocean! along as other radars at west malaysia.

That's the LR 1090 from Andy at Munich??? Impressive, given that it's a 'temporary installation'. What cables do you use? Receiver would be your next quest I suspect.
                        All the best

Yes, LR-1090-N from Andy.

5 metres of Belden 7806A, RF 195, 50 Ohms, useable up to 6 GHz.

Comment

Definitely looks... big. much bigger than I thought.
                          Keep us posted with your findings and when it's installed at it's proper home! will peak into WSSS time to time from my place.
                          cheers

Comment

Definitely looks... big. much bigger than I thought.
                            Keep us posted with your findings and when it's installed at it's proper home! will peak into WSSS time to time from my place.
                            cheers
                            1st - I must find a way to block out AirNav Systems from STEALING my Flight Data. I just discovered they RESET whatever new settings I inputted in the 3D Popup Window. Sneaky AirNav Pple.

2nd - I plan to get a Mast Head Amplifier to further extend the coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                              1st - I must find a way to block out AirNav Systems from STEALING my Flight Data. I just discovered they RESET whatever new settings I inputted in the 3D Popup Window. Sneaky AirNav Pple.

2nd - I plan to get a Mast Head Amplifier to further extend the coverage.
                              Re 1: I guess you really have got to change product. I am sure they are getting so much valuable info from you courteously at WSSS. hey, it's WSSS you know. it's a gold mine to them! of coz they will do whatever they can to get into your box!

re 2: Wow. can't believe this. Going for ELAD? Have you got any insight from Andy about this? If say if you change product in the future would this be ?too much gain that might cause damage? Still, this is all very interesting development.

Comment

Working...
                              X