Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planespotting at Bristol

Hi everyone

I'm new here and also to the plane-spotting world, so I'm probably asking what has been asked before, but please be gentle!

Bristol is my local airport and I'd like to start there whilst I get used to things and was wondering if anyone has any tips for this airport. Where is the best place to spot, for example?

Also does anyone have any advice for a beginner? Do I need certain equipment or can I get by with the minimum for now? I have an iPhone, are there any apps anyone recommends?

Thanks in advance!

Selina

Hi Selina, i find this website the best for spotting guides.

Mike
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, I've seen this site when googling but it doesn't seem to be activated anymore? Or at least, it doesn't seem to be working for me!

Comment

Hi Selina, i copied the information from the PlaneMad Website.

"Spot A - Side-on view, Winters Lane
        There is a spot near the runway on Winters Lane (use the map to view directions to get there). This area has plenty of car parking, at the side of Winters Lane, and there are no car parking charges or restrictions. Airport staff seem to have no issues with you being there, so you are unlikely to be told to move away.

At this location the aircraft will arrive, depart and taxi infront of you. This spot is good for both runway directions, however runway 09 is significantly better, though unfortunately runway 27 is used the most (about 75% of the time).

Unfortunately there are still the odd bumps and slopes around so the runway cannot be seen in a few areas and the perimetre fence is also an problem, especially for photography. Despite this, most of it can be seen from here, therefore you can get some ground shots, but not at great quality and some reasonable arrival and departure shots. This location is also not too close to any major road meaning you can get some good video footage which is not ruined by road/motorway noise, however the perimetre fence does ruin video footage. Due to Bristol having a very short runway, the fence nearly always obscures the view, even for departures. This is the only spot that Bristol has to offer and yet there are still many drawbacks about it. Try to visit this spot when runway 09 is the active, just to improve it a little bit.
        Sat Nav Co-ordinates
        (Some locations may not be next to a road but the sat nav should get you pretty close using these co-ordinates)"

Latitude: N51° 22' 51" (N51° 22.844')
        Longitude: W2° 43' 44" (W2° 43.73')

This is location on the Map, the Southern part of Winter Lane.
        The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Mike
        AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

For information, locations, photos and videos regarding spotting aircraft at Bristol Airport head over to www.bristolairportspotting.co.uk where there is all the information you will ever need!
          ===

Kind regards
          Simon Fewkes

EASA PPL (A)
          Keen Aviation Photographer
          www.spottinglog.com

Comment

Working...
          X