Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest way to feed FR24 / Anyone using RTL-2832u-R820t usb dongle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSBSharp is much better. I get way more planes using adsb#.
    And yes it would be nice if FL24 would directly support AVR Receiver input.

Here is a video of me playing around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAzzbxnroeA&hd=1 - 2x RTLSDR: ADSB# + Virtual Radar Server + SDR#
    Not the best video ever made, but i tried to match called planes on the radio, to the map.

Comment

Hi Jarod,

Good ... I wil try with ADSBSharp as soon as possible.... but it seems that not shows the messages passing ... it could be better this way.

Cheers - juan

Comment

How about microADSB?

Working for me as T-EFHK3 and

Comment

Originally posted by djpeter View Post
          How about microADSB?
          There's a free, independent Review of the microADSB over on the Radarspotting forum and a free to enter competition to win one together with a PlanePlotter licence:

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Hi GregHudson

I started on ADS-B in 2007 with SBS-1, then followed with RadarBox.... did several antennas ... including two 21 stacked dipoles coax colinear....
            Since one week started to play around with ISDB-T dongles and become astonished with the results.
            Also noticed that for me it did not worked using a 10 dipole collinear coaxial..... but I a getting eazy 180 NM with the dongle original antenna
            modifyed to clone the whip of the radarbox supplied aatenna and let it on the window... (ok , I live on 15 floor ..)
            Still doing tests ... with one E400 and one R820T... several antennas, several softwares ....
            I found these dongles cheap and marvelous for playing around.

Cheers - Juan -

Comment

I am using a RTL-2832u-R820t USB dongle, zadig driver, RTL1090, Planeplotter and FR24feed. All working fine at my location (Tallahassee, Florida, USA). Just have limited receive due to the small vertical antenna that came with dongle. I am getting good coverage up to about 40 nm and sketchy coverage out to 50 nm.

I am using a 2 meter USB extension cable to get the dongle close to a window and the small antenna is just outside the window. I am awaiting shipment of additional parts to use a better antenna mounted higher.

This is all Windows-based software.

Regards, Dave
              T-KTLH1

Comment

Hello, this is my setup here:

RTL-2832u / E4000
                ADBSScope v2.6
                ADSBSharp
                FR24feeder

Some tips:
                0. After RTL-2832u driver installed correctly using Zadig.exe
                1. Run SDRSharp and look for some reference signal (ie a vhf/uhf beacon or narrow band FM signal) to determine the necessary frequency correction (ppm) - my case it is 18
                2. Run ADSBSharp inserting the verified ppm correction, unchecked RTL AGC and Tuner AGC, leave RF Gain in the max and start.
                3. Check if there are frames being received.
                4. Run ADSBScope go to other > network > network setup. Leave port 30003 on server and click on ADSB# for raw data client. Start raw data client and start server.
                5. Start FR24feed

Regards,

Eduardo
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by py2rn View Post
                  Hello, this is my setup here:

RTL-2832u / E4000
                  ADBSScope v2.6
                  ADSBSharp
                  FR24feeder

Some tips:
                  0. After RTL-2832u driver installed correctly using Zadig.exe
                  1. Run SDRSharp and look for some reference signal (ie a vhf/uhf beacon or narrow band FM signal) to determine the necessary frequency correction (ppm) - my case it is 18
                  2. Run ADSBSharp inserting the verified ppm correction, unchecked RTL AGC and Tuner AGC, leave RF Gain in the max and start.
                  3. Check if there are frames being received.
                  4. Run ADSBScope go to other > network > network setup. Leave port 30003 on server and click on ADSB# for raw data client. Start raw data client and start server.
                  5. Start FR24feed

Regards,

Eduardo
                  G'Day Eduardo.
                  I've tried a similar system here, but it isn't working.
                  Problems:
                  1. I can't verify that Zadig is actually installed / running. (There does not appear to be anything called zadig visible using MS Services). Do you know what the service is called ?
                  2. SDRSharp is not picking up anything. And I don't understand your comment re frequency correction (ppm).

Thanks, Greg.
                  Last edited by GregHudson; 2012-12-26, 19:58.
                  GNS 5890 (German), 2 x DVB-T Dongles (China / USA), Mobile One SAN-1090 external base antenna (Australian), Heliax coax (USA).
                  HDSDR, Plane Plotter (full version, but not working), adsbScope, Virtual Radar.

Comment

Hi Greg, I suggest you install SDRSharp from the following, it will run a .bat script and put all the necessary files in the correct location:

After installing follow the instructions here:

I hope it helps you.

Eduardo.

Comment

Greg,

Read this page carefully:

You need to run Zadig on the RTLSDR device and update it's driver.
                      Sometimes this is needed several times when you connect more than one rtlsdr, or change ports. This differs per system. Read the page.

ppm is part of the configure as used in many programs, to correct the frequency offset of the dongle.
                      Two examples:

(This post may seems redundant, but i forgot to press Post Quick Reply ...)

Comment

Hello!

I bought RTL dongle with chipset R820T.
                        Dongle working well. During testing this dongle with kit DVB-T antenna I saw planes in the distance 60-70km. Antenna was indoor. I want to use better antenna.

I thinking about make a little server on roof, because I don't want to store my PC on roof.

I have a Raspberry Pi (a little arm computer), I have already compiled gnuradio, gr-air-modes, but.... Raspberry have to small computing power and gr-air-modes (modes_rx) not working. I saw "ooooo" messages and this means that I have too slow processor.

However, chances are big to run it.

Gnuradio have a great app called rtl_tcp
                        I can make server that hosting undecoded radio waves.

I tested it with SDRSharp and works great, it's need only 4mbit link.

So I need windows or linux client which can receive radio waves by tcpip and decode adb-s signal like (gr-air-modes - modes_rx).

Does anyone know the method to be able to decode the signal adbs from radio stream received by tcpip?

Sorry for my english, I'm from Poland and my native language is polish.

Best Regards
                        Radek
                        T-LKPD1
                        My native language is polish.

Comment

Radek,
                          you may try to use an amplified USB extension cable all the way up to the roof and install RTL there, it worked up to 15 meters for me, although must protect from rain/water some how.

Regards,

Eduardo.

Comment

Hello again!

Thank you Eduardo.

I found another great solution ----> rtl_adsb

It is server of adsb signal, but AVR, VirtualRadar working great with rtl_adsb and display more planes than modes_rx, I can see planes in the distance 120km with kit DVB-T antenna indoor
                            But how to connect AVR signal with FR24 app?

Now I fight with planeplotter but it doesn't want to catch the AVR signal by tcpip.

Regards
                            Radek
                            T-LKPD1

Comment

Originally posted by jestemradek View Post
                              ... VirtualRadar working great with rtl_adsb and display more planes than modes_rx, I can see planes in the distance 120km with kit DVB-T antenna indoor
                              But how to connect AVR signal with FR24 app?

Now I fight with planeplotter but it doesn't want to catch the AVR signal by tcpip.

Regards
                              Radek
                              Hi Radek

I got my dongle in the post yesterday and discovered this amazing set of instructions to use Virtual Radar to feed Planeplotter and FR24

Unfortunately from my location at the very bottom on New Zealand I seldom get the required minimum 3 flights in range at once to establish a feed to FR24. However, I've ordered a 3m USB extension cable which will allow me to temporarily locate the mini aerial on the apex of my roof. Eventually I hope to build my own weatherproof outdoor antenna.

Comment

Finally I got BaseStation signal. PlanePlotter transforming AVR signal from rtl_adsb app. I got sharekey in FR24 app.

But I have more interesting info!
                                When I put DVB-T Dongle (R820T) on roof with kit DVB-T antenna I can see planes from 250 kilometers, I can see about 20 planes in one moment. It's only kit antenna. Cost of dongle is 10 euro

It's hard for me to imagine what happens when I plug in a dedicated 1090mhz antenna.

I attach a few photos

Gallery link:
                                Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Good Luck
                                Radek
                                T-LKPD1

Comment

Working...
                                X