Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on GNS5890

Passenger
    Hello Bill,

thanks for the invitation! For sure I will drop you a note if I will be around Aachen to ask you for a visit.

> We have simulators we have nearly every ADS-B receiver and we have a new one which will be unveiled very soon

Sound very interesting and promising. In the meantime it would be very interesting to know more about your testings (see message #19). ;-)

Best Regards

Willi
    Last edited by whz; 2013-03-20 at 17:33.

Passenger
    Willi,

by the way some news for streaming clients and also for Android ;-)

here you find our low cost ADS-B client Plug and play....Only power and Antenna is use no PC or Host or what else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxioQCyPqA

and here ore new ANDROID APP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmFLqdhE6KQ

have fun

Bill

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2002 View Post
    Willi,

by the way some news for streaming clients and also for Android ;-)

here you find our low cost ADS-B client Plug and play....Only power and Antenna is use no PC or Host or what else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxioQCyPqA
    Interesting. What functionality does it offer for Ethernet access? Something like ADS data on port 30003 or can you do more?
    Unfortunately we can not see the back of the PCB on the video. I suspect there is a microcontroller on the PCB (like a tiny PIC or ATMEL) but no 32 bit microprocessor. Or can we expect a full linux machine like a Raspberry PI?

Will it be possible to flash new firmware version by the customer itself for this hardware? Or do we have to send it to GNS to get it flashed?

and here ore new ANDROID APP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmFLqdhE6KQ
    Too bad that this app needs firmware v4 to work with the GNS 5890.
    Some days ago my GNS 5890 v3 was changed to a v4 by GNS, but I had to send it back, because it was no longer compatible with microADSB (on v3 it was recognized by the ACM USB driver)). I could no longer use it on Linux (I am using adsbox on Linux). I am now expecting to get a v3 again. For me firmware v4 is does not make sense without any possibily to run it on linux. To bad that I am stuck with v3. I would even compile a linux module but this seems not be possible.

At least this is what the support told me.

I am now waiting to get my v3 back again. In the meantime I am feeding Fligtradar24 with my SDR stick and dump1090.
    Unfortunately I have to wait for snail mail again. Flashing the GNS 5890 by myself seems not be possible or at least is not supported by GNS.

Regards

Willi
    Last edited by whz; 2013-03-22 at 16:57.

On Rasperry Pi:
    • GNS 5890 (v3) using adsbox, RTL2832U/R820T SDL using dump1090
    • Feeding FR24 using fr24feed_arm-le_225s

Passenger
    Hello Bill2002, hello Willi!

Last Week I also bought GNS 5890 V4 and was surprised that the GNS 5890 does not immediately work on Linux.
    But after a bit of internet research I was able to bring the GNS 5890 to work on Linux.

The GNS 5890 must be loaded with the following command:

$sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x04D8 product=0xF8E8

Then the GNS 5890 works well on Linux again.

Best regards

SkyCaptain

Passenger
    @SkyCaptain: Thanks a lot for this information!

This is also confirmed by https://twitter.com/DIYDroneSafety/s...92995127169024

Is this your Twitter account or is this someone else?

I had talked to GNS support and they told me that the stick does no longer work on linux!
    Because of this I did not try any longer.

@Bill2002: Can you confirm this and communicate this to GNS support? My stick ist still at GNS. If it is possible to get it run on linux (The message from SkyCaptain looks right), I would like to get a v4 stick again.

Best Regards

Willi
    Last edited by whz; 2013-03-27 at 18:13.

On Rasperry Pi:

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyCaptain View Post
    The GNS 5890 must be loaded with the following command:

$sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x04D8 product=0xF8E8

Then the GNS 5890 works well on Linux again.
    Thanks again for quoting this!

I have received my 5890 V4 from GNS some days ago. It is now also running on a Raspberry Pi running Linux using adsbox.

Sensivity is currently better with my RTL2832U/R820T SDL using dump1090. I am receiving less planes with the 5890 using the same antenna.
    However I am using currently indoor antennas. I plan to do some tests to compare both (GNS 5890 and RTL2832U/R820T SDL) when I have a antenna on my roof.

I am thinking to get a RF-systems SP-3 splitter so I could do a real compare. But I am not sure if I really should invest that much or simply put two identical antennas on the roof.
    Last edited by whz; 2013-04-10 at 15:38.

On Rasperry Pi:

I've been using the GNS-5890 for a few months now. Reading it with ADS-B Scope. Feeding FR24 off ADS-B Scope server output. 200+ miles on a daily basis.