Opinions on GNS5890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
    To be fair, Bill2002 has admitted he works for GNS.

Brandao wore a thinly veiled diguise.
    Yes I am working for GNS ....by the way it´s a disguise not diguise
    open speaking it doesn´t matter if I am working for GNS I would tell you the same If I work for another company.
    I just one of the developers team knowing what I am talking about ;-)
    see my other comments in another thread where I explain why we outpreform some other ADS-B receivers.
    There are technical reason for, which you can not ignore
    The other point is that you can easily test by yourself.
    Normally you need to have a switch and to open maybe planeplotter measuring your framerate.
    The other point is that I am not willing to hide things which are definitely happened like the donought effect.
    or do you want to say that the donought is not happened on MicroADSB ?
    do you want to tell the users here that a SDR based ADS-B receiver is a good solution ?
    please tell me your opinion ?

@junglejet

we have our own solution for ANDROID working with OTG and it is not sooooo slow it handles the high bit rate easily.
    How can you write something like this not knowing whats going on ? You do not test this because there is no definitly no !
    Software on the Android market or anywhere else working with highspeed serial data over the OTG.
    We are the first doing that with success. So please explain where you have the knowledge that OTG is soooo slow and can not handle such high data rate ? Who is telling you that ???

Is this a fake?

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

no ! and it handles high data rate

You can test by your self shoot me an email and you will get the APP for testing.
    You can also test our receiver .... and then write your opinion....
    That would be fair

Whats your opinion about ?

regards

Bill
    Last edited by Bill2002; 2012-12-06, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill2002 View Post
      Yes I am working for GNS ....by the way it´s a disguise not diguise
      My teacher always told me I couldn't spell and wouldn't make a good typist.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

@all together,
        I just received today my brandnew SBS-3 because of my testing.
        Test setup is PP as Targetsoftware a 1.5m rod antenna for 1090Mhz with 20db lowloss cable 5m and a RF Splitter
        So all the testreceivers got exactly the same signal from the same antenna ;-)

Ok ........here it is the result over all Framerate and range .........aplause
        1. Place with 100% the BEEEEEEEEAAAST......well done
        2. Place with 80% theeeeee Yes! SBS-3
        3. Place with 70% the GNS5890
        4. Place with 50% the RADARBOX
        5. Place with 30% the MICROADS-B
        6. Place with 10% SDR Dongle

Ok.....a little bit prosa about.
        The Beast is really a beast the receiption is good but not the best range. This title goes to the SBS-3
        The Framerate of the beast is unbeatable if you see the "contrail" it´s perfect no gaps
        The SBS-3 has the best range but the framerate is not the optimum the SBS-3 loose a lot of frames
        I have seen also in a nearby position some big gaps in the trail I have to make some investigation if it is a kind of a overdrive for the amp I am not sure...from hardware design I would say may be
        The GNS is to be fair not bad, because of the technology which is different GNS is not using FPGA technology which needs a lot of power
        for a mobile stick quite good. For the PIC based receivers actual it´s the best receiver with best performance and range
        The RADARBOX is near by the performance of the GNS receiver.
        MicroADSB has problems with donought effect and therefor also performance problems which I think could be solved in the future.
        SDR its a performance thing the SDR is not made for fast ADS-B receiption so...for the price it´s not bad for beginners.

So my fazit is :
        For basestation Beast and SBS-3 are first choice.
        For mobile use and this is where GNS is focused on the GNS5890 is first choice

so really it depends for what the receiver is needed.

I tried to make a comparison which is fair and not driven by my job (GNS)

regards

Bill
        Last edited by Bill2002; 2012-12-22, 11:18.

Comment

@all together,
          I just received today my brandnew SBS-3 because of my testing.
          Test setup is PP as Targetsoftware a 1.5m rod antenna for 1090Mhz with 20db lowloss cable 5m and a RF Splitter
          So all the testreceivers got exactly the same signal from the same antenna ;-)
          Hello Bill,

interesting. Impressive setup running 6 ADSB receivers in parallel!

Could you give some more information:
          - What was the framerate that you considered as 100% for the BEAST?
          - Which RF splitter did you use? Did not know about a low loss RF splitter for 6 devices. Some people use the RF-systems SP-3, but this only has two output. connectors.
          - Which SDR dongle did you use (E4000, R820T, or other tuner?)? Which software (SDR#, gr-air-modes, dump1090, ...)? This is very important to know as there is no standard SDR setup.

Best regards

Willi
          Last edited by whz; 2013-03-17, 18:05.

On Rasperry Pi:
          • GNS 5890 (v3) using adsbox, RTL2832U/R820T SDL using dump1090
          • Feeding FR24 using fr24feed_arm-le_225s

Comment

Hi Willy,

I see you are near Cologne....

if you have time come and visit us here in Wuerselen near Aachen.
            I will prepare also a coffee for you ;-)

Also you can take a look around what we are doing regarding ADS-B
            We have simulators we have nearly every ADS-B receiver and we have a new one which will be unveiled very soon

So if you near by us come and visit us....
            GNS GmbH
            Adenauerstr. 18
            52146 Würselen

brgrds

Bill

Comment

Hello Bill,

thanks for the invitation! For sure I will drop you a note if I will be around Aachen to ask you for a visit.

> We have simulators we have nearly every ADS-B receiver and we have a new one which will be unveiled very soon

Sound very interesting and promising. In the meantime it would be very interesting to know more about your testings (see message #19). ;-)

Best Regards

Willi
              Last edited by whz; 2013-03-20, 17:33.

On Rasperry Pi:

Comment

Willi,

by the way some news for streaming clients and also for Android ;-)

here you find our low cost ADS-B client Plug and play....Only power and Antenna is use no PC or Host or what else

and here ore new ANDROID APP

have fun

Bill

Comment

Willi,

by the way some news for streaming clients and also for Android ;-)

here you find our low cost ADS-B client Plug and play....Only power and Antenna is use no PC or Host or what else

Interesting. What functionality does it offer for Ethernet access? Something like ADS data on port 30003 or can you do more?
                  Unfortunately we can not see the back of the PCB on the video. I suspect there is a microcontroller on the PCB (like a tiny PIC or ATMEL) but no 32 bit microprocessor. Or can we expect a full linux machine like a Raspberry PI?

Will it be possible to flash new firmware version by the customer itself for this hardware? Or do we have to send it to GNS to get it flashed?

and here ore new ANDROID APP

Too bad that this app needs firmware v4 to work with the GNS 5890.
                  Some days ago my GNS 5890 v3 was changed to a v4 by GNS, but I had to send it back, because it was no longer compatible with microADSB (on v3 it was recognized by the ACM USB driver)). I could no longer use it on Linux (I am using adsbox on Linux). I am now expecting to get a v3 again. For me firmware v4 is does not make sense without any possibily to run it on linux. To bad that I am stuck with v3. I would even compile a linux module but this seems not be possible.

At least this is what the support told me.

I am now waiting to get my v3 back again. In the meantime I am feeding Fligtradar24 with my SDR stick and dump1090.
                  Unfortunately I have to wait for snail mail again. Flashing the GNS 5890 by myself seems not be possible or at least is not supported by GNS.

Regards

Willi
                  Last edited by whz; 2013-03-22, 16:57.

On Rasperry Pi:

Comment

Hello Bill2002, hello Willi!

Last Week I also bought GNS 5890 V4 and was surprised that the GNS 5890 does not immediately work on Linux.
                    But after a bit of internet research I was able to bring the GNS 5890 to work on Linux.

The GNS 5890 must be loaded with the following command:

$sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x04D8 product=0xF8E8

Then the GNS 5890 works well on Linux again.

Best regards

SkyCaptain

Comment

@SkyCaptain: Thanks a lot for this information!

This is also confirmed by https://twitter.com/DIYDroneSafety/s...92995127169024

Is this your Twitter account or is this someone else?

I had talked to GNS support and they told me that the stick does no longer work on linux!
                      Because of this I did not try any longer.

@Bill2002: Can you confirm this and communicate this to GNS support? My stick ist still at GNS. If it is possible to get it run on linux (The message from SkyCaptain looks right), I would like to get a v4 stick again.

Best Regards

Willi
                      Last edited by whz; 2013-03-27, 18:13.

On Rasperry Pi:

Comment

Originally posted by SkyCaptain View Post
                        The GNS 5890 must be loaded with the following command:

$sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x04D8 product=0xF8E8

Then the GNS 5890 works well on Linux again.
                        Thanks again for quoting this!

I have received my 5890 V4 from GNS some days ago. It is now also running on a Raspberry Pi running Linux using adsbox.

Sensivity is currently better with my RTL2832U/R820T SDL using dump1090. I am receiving less planes with the 5890 using the same antenna.
                        However I am using currently indoor antennas. I plan to do some tests to compare both (GNS 5890 and RTL2832U/R820T SDL) when I have a antenna on my roof.

I am thinking to get a RF-systems SP-3 splitter so I could do a real compare. But I am not sure if I really should invest that much or simply put two identical antennas on the roof.
                        Last edited by whz; 2013-04-10, 15:38.

On Rasperry Pi:

Comment

I've been using the GNS-5890 for a few months now. Reading it with ADS-B Scope. Feeding FR24 off ADS-B Scope server output. 200+ miles on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                          X