Opinions on GNS5890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on GNS5890

Hi, I am a beginner as far as receiving my own flight data goes, though I have been watching FlightRadar24 for many years. Is there a consensus on the GNS5890? It is about all I could afford, but will it be money down the drain? Any help would be very welcome. Thank you in advance.

My advice would be to try and buy a pre-owned SBS-1/1e/1eR off eBay.

The receiver is of the highest quality, robust and fit for purpose. The software is excellent, has been continually upgraded and you can download the latest version for free.

I still have my SBS-1 from 2005 and I have most of the other manufacturer's products.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Unfortunately Anmer has his own agenda and is unable to provide a relevant response.

Please see my review of the GNS here. I found it very good for what it was designed to do.
      Michael
      Palmerston North,
      New Zealand
      ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Originally posted by nzradar View Post
        Unfortunately Anmer has his own agenda and is unable to provide a relevant response.
        Kindly explain what you mean by that remark or withdraw it.

I have no agenda other than to help Joncon.

He says he can't afford too much and for the cost of a GNS5890 he could get a pre-owned SBS-1 which will be far superior in performance and comes with better software.

Surely that's a relevant response. Or should I add that, in my opinion and that of many others, the GNS5890 isn't very good?

Having "read" you so-called review, maybe it's you who has "his own agenda"?
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Oh dear, I seem to have started a war. Are all contributions to this forum so aggressive?

Comment

Originally posted by Joncon View Post
            Are all contributions to this forum so aggressive?
            No, but some of us have to defend ourselves when "attacked".

Get yourself a pre-owned SBS-1. You won't regret it. My GNS5890 is sitting on the shelf.
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Assuming I do get one of these units, can you give me some advice on how to site the aerial? Would it be ok indoors, or does it have to be in the open?

Comment

Assuming I do get one of these units, can you give me some advice on how to site the aerial? Would it be ok indoors, or does it have to be in the open?
                Which unit - GNS5890?

It comes with an antenna that's suitable for indoor use. It has a non-standard antenna connection which will require an adapter to use an external antenna. I have no idea where you can get an adapter but maybe someone else can help with that?

The antenna position is critical and height is king.
                Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Actually I was thinking of taking your advice and getting a used SBS-1. How about that antenna?

Comment

Actually I was thinking of taking your advice and getting a used SBS-1. How about that antenna?
                    That too shipped with an internal antenna. Depending on the model, the receiver has either a BNC or SMA connection. There's a free review I did last year of an external antenna on the Radarspotting.com forum. You will have to join to download the review but membership is free and there are lots of other free guides to download.

Ignore the make of antenna, the same principles apply.

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I have just posted a comparison of the GNS against a Beast and surprisingly for the Euro's not as significant a difference as I would have thought. You can find the review here. No login necessary!

Advice on the antenna is pretty simple:

Mount as high and as clear of obstructions as is practical.

Use good quality low loss coaxial. Aim for cable that has a loss value of less than 15db per 100 metres of cable at about 1 GHz frequency.

If you do buy the GNS you will need a non-standard adapter to convert your external antenna cable from the more common N-Type to the MCX connector used on the GNS receiver.

Of course this all assumes that you wish to use the GNS as a base receiver opposed to a mobile receiver. Don't forget that the GNS is designed to me small and mobile ans very well suited to sitting at the end of a runway with a netbook and get the heads up on what's where!
                      Michael
                      Palmerston North,
                      New Zealand
                      ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Originally posted by nzradar View Post
                        I have just posted a comparison of the GNS against a Beast
                        How about posting an explanation of the accusatory remark you made earlier? Or are you another "hit and run" poster?

One thing I would caution. Don't expect any receiver to perform equitably in a high traffic area compared to the very low traffic in New Zealand.

And comparaing receivers should cover a lot more than a couple of screenshots. Can the GNS5890 handle raw data for Mlat and Beamfinder?
                        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

@anmer

noticed you remarks
                          take a look to my video.
                          I have actual compared Radarbox, microADSB and beast with our GNS 5890 V3.0

GNS 5890 V3.0 vs. microADS-BBecause of GNSīs own firmware and different Hardware.amazing if you see that

what I can definetily say is that the GNS5890 outperform Radarbox and microADSB dramatically
                          The GNS5890 is smaller much more handy. Works with ANDROID devices like GALAXY Tab or thats very interesting
                          it works also with ANDROID mobile phones ! Very nice....you only need the OTG adaptor you can buy for less than 2 dollars.
                          GNS5890 is approx. 5 -6 time faster then microADSB or Radarbox. Measured with PP
                          The SBS1 is with my knowledge based on a Lattice FPGA design ....if so....
                          I am not sure that the SBS1 will be also outperformed by the GNS5890...could be interesting to see...

Another point is that the GNS5890 design is very tricky so you have no donought effect which you will
                          have using for example microADSB. Normally a good FPGA design has no probs with the donought effect

I can not tell anything about comp. between SBS1 and GNS I do not have actual an SBS1 but I have seen the PCB design
                          On the RF parts there are differences
                          The PCB is well done so it will be very interesting to see whats the differences between GNS and SBS1.

But FPGA designs needs a lot of power so itīs critical to use it as an mobile device ;-)

the GNS5890 is not primeliary designed for used as a basestation. The design is optimized for use in planes or with mobile devices.
                          Therefore we are concentrated to have a good receiption within 200-250nm. We do not see for us any reason to have more range.

regards

Bill

Comment

The GNS5890 is smaller much more handy. Works with ANDROID devices like GALAXY Tab or thats very interesting
                            it works also with ANDROID mobile phones ! Very nice....you only need the OTG adaptor you can buy for less than 2 dollars.
                            I am curious which decoder software you use on Android and how you channel a high data rate through the OTG port. That is sooo slow.
                            I am not sure that the SBS1 will be also outperformed by the GNS5890...could be interesting to see...
                            Another point is that the GNS5890 design is very tricky so you have no donought effect which you will
                            have using for example microADSB. Normally a good FPGA design has no probs with the donought effect
                            Mike: again here, this becomes too biased, reminds me of Brandao

Andy
                            jetvision.de

Comment

To be fair, Bill2002 has admitted he works for GNS.

Brandao wore a thinly veiled disguise.
                              Last edited by Anmer; 2012-12-07, 08:39.
                              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X