Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on GNS5890

Passenger

Opinions on GNS5890

Hi, I am a beginner as far as receiving my own flight data goes, though I have been watching FlightRadar24 for many years. Is there a consensus on the GNS5890? It is about all I could afford, but will it be money down the drain? Any help would be very welcome. Thank you in advance.

My advice would be to try and buy a pre-owned SBS-1/1e/1eR off eBay.

The receiver is of the highest quality, robust and fit for purpose. The software is excellent, has been continually upgraded and you can download the latest version for free.

I still have my SBS-1 from 2005 and I have most of the other manufacturer's products.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Unfortunately Anmer has his own agenda and is unable to provide a relevant response.

Please see my review of the GNS here. I found it very good for what it was designed to do.
    Michael
    Palmerston North,
    New Zealand
    ex-FR24 Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by nzradar View Post
    Unfortunately Anmer has his own agenda and is unable to provide a relevant response.
    Kindly explain what you mean by that remark or withdraw it.

I have no agenda other than to help Joncon.

He says he can't afford too much and for the cost of a GNS5890 he could get a pre-owned SBS-1 which will be far superior in performance and comes with better software.

Surely that's a relevant response. Or should I add that, in my opinion and that of many others, the GNS5890 isn't very good?

Having "read" you so-called review, maybe it's you who has "his own agenda"?
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Passenger
    Oh dear, I seem to have started a war. Are all contributions to this forum so aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by Joncon View Post
    Are all contributions to this forum so aggressive?
    No, but some of us have to defend ourselves when "attacked".

Get yourself a pre-owned SBS-1. You won't regret it. My GNS5890 is sitting on the shelf.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Passenger
    Assuming I do get one of these units, can you give me some advice on how to site the aerial? Would it be ok indoors, or does it have to be in the open?

Assuming I do get one of these units, can you give me some advice on how to site the aerial? Would it be ok indoors, or does it have to be in the open?
    Which unit - GNS5890?

It comes with an antenna that's suitable for indoor use. It has a non-standard antenna connection which will require an adapter to use an external antenna. I have no idea where you can get an adapter but maybe someone else can help with that?

The antenna position is critical and height is king.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Passenger
    Actually I was thinking of taking your advice and getting a used SBS-1. How about that antenna?

Actually I was thinking of taking your advice and getting a used SBS-1. How about that antenna?
    That too shipped with an internal antenna. Depending on the model, the receiver has either a BNC or SMA connection. There's a free review I did last year of an external antenna on the Radarspotting.com forum. You will have to join to download the review but membership is free and there are lots of other free guides to download.

Ignore the make of antenna, the same principles apply.

http://radarspotting.com/forum/index...pmod;dl=item11
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005