Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong Radar

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by F-VHHH4 View Post
    Hello folks,

I am a FR24 feeder and thanks for FR to supply the hardware to me.
    As now, the radar stations is running well, but I want to improve the radar stations coverage.

Any 1090Mhz Antenna is better then that one shipped from FR ?

Thank you all !
    The antenna supplied by FR24 is a good one. All antennas has it limits, getting about 200nm is good and 250nm is excellent. You will get the occasional 300nm + or 250nm + , but the range normally is around 250nm thereabouts at a good location. The location is key where it can offers a good line of sight towards the horizon - no trees no buildings no immediate obstructions. Your best view appears to be the North (same as VHHH1) but North East and West looks ok too.

If you really want to and can afford to get a better antenna perhaps it is the PCB active antenna - http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/6480...Products/68200
    how long is your cable? If you only use 5m I worry the signal will be too strong and affect the FR24 receiver.

The alternative is the Chinese 9db 1090mhz antenna - http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ntenna/page163 see post #1629 From what I read you need to have a minimum order of 5 to have the antennas send to your area. It's a long antenna too compared to FR24's.

The other way of doing things is to get your cable from the antenna to the receiver as short as possible, maybe a cheaper way of doing things and HK should stock a few good coax cables. The other feeders from HK here can also assists you and share their thoughts.

Passenger
    Hi North Borneo Radar ,

My cable is 10 Meters from the antenna to the FR24 device.

The radar range is around 244nm showed on the FR website.

Captain
    Hi North Borneo Radar ,

My cable is 10 Meters from the antenna to the FR24 device.

The radar range is around 244nm showed on the FR website.
    Well as per Mike and Oblivian's input at the other thread, you have your answer - Use the FR24 supplied antenna. If you want to experiment then try a shorter cable, but how much that increases your range is not known. You can experiment though, if you want.

Passenger
    Yea, I will try to setup this Antenna to a higher point.
    But it may also blocked by the hill from the south.

Passenger
    Attachment 4867

Red colour is F-VHHH4 collected data. You can see the coverage is quite wide.
    Good coverage. Thank you

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by North Borneo Radar View Post

The alternative is the Chinese 9db 1090mhz antenna - http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ntenna/page163 see post #1629 From what I read you need to have a minimum order of 5 to have the antennas send to your area. It's a long antenna too compared to FR24's.
    I bought a cheap 9db 1090mhz antenna from China http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...876711834&ns=1 and no minimum order is required.
    Although the antenna costs about RMB$170 (US$ 28), the result is excellent. You could give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
    If you want to experiment then try a shorter cable, but how much that increases your range is not known. You can experiment though, if you want.
    Unless you have a shorter length of low loss coax cable with connectors, in my experience a shorter cable will not achieve much more range and cutting the supplied coax is not a good idea unless you are experienced in adding new, low loss connectors.

Raising the antenna is the best option but if you have a hill to the south, it won't overcome that obstacle.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    Unless you have a shorter length of low loss coax cable with connectors, in my experience a shorter cable will not achieve much more range and cutting the supplied coax is not a good idea unless you are experienced in adding new, low loss connectors.

Raising the antenna is the best option but if you have a hill to the south, it won't overcome that obstacle.
    ah...

If you have read my previous posts you should have a better context. Please do not quote me out of context - I did say the OP should be able to source coax cables from HK, should he wishes to experiment with shorter cables.

Perhaps you are too busy posting posts around FR24 forum to leave prints to promote your website and running your website so you misquoted me. We all make errors, it's ok.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by twfr View Post
    I bought a cheap 9db 1090mhz antenna from China http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...876711834&ns=1 and no minimum order is required.
    Although the antenna costs about RMB$170 (US$ 28), the result is excellent. You could give it a try.
    Are you from hong Kong ? If yes, do you bought from them ? we can share the MOQ if you want.

Captain
    What is FR24 MLAT ?

So far, the range is very good. It can received very far from China side, but it is hard to received from the Ocean side.

Do you have any idea of feeding Airband? I can also do that.
    I can hear VMMC, VHHH and ZGSZ from the Airband.

I don`t have HK local contact for FR24 at this moment.
    I assume you use a scanner to tune to air band like a uniden base/handheld scanner? You can consider things first about feeding airband, as you have to sacrifice your own joy of listening to feed to feed to sites like Live ATC. Have a look here: http://www.liveatc.net/faq/

VHHH has already have got an air band feeder, if you join in then maybe the frequencies could be splitted to allow better listening. You can contact Live ATC for more advice. Where did you get your VHF/UHF antenna? Just curious.

As for modeS, it is one of the communication protocols that is standardized for aviation transponders. Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviatio...rogation_modes (wiki and google is a good place to start). mode S will be enabled by the FR24 team if there is enough FR24 receivers to perform MLAT - locating planes that do not broadcast their GPS position aka ADS-B.
    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-10-12 at 06:48.