Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re 'why was my post/s deleted'?

Mike,
    Obviously many people find the forum difficult to navigate and/or understand particularly if they get a bit flustered by it or havent had a lot of experience with it. I find myself avoiding the forum for this very reason. It's a bit like when I used to go shooting rabbits when I was younger and hit them with the spotlight and found a wide glazed pair of eyes staring back at me frozen to the spot. The map and chat can be similar for many individuals. We try to help them as much as is humanly possible. I was under the misguided notion that we were here to assist and encourage people who had difficulties with the chat/map/forum, not to discourage them. Even daring to place a post in the wrong place or simply being confused as to where exactly to place it can earn the wrath of Admin. And since you made your thread a 'closed thread' I had no option but to open another- that's not my fault. You made it very clear to Jim that's enough to earn a flogging.

I have 2 eyes 2 ears and 1 mouth and I try to use them in that ratio- 2:2:1. It would appear that's not sufficient here. Apparently one also needs to have the wisdom of Solomon as a prerequisite. Sorry to disappoint mate but I dont possess that.

If we ever see Jim again I'll pass on your response.

gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2012-09-20, 01:53.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Just wanted to clarify you that "why was my post deleted" was not directed against jim, but the people who every day choose to post "why do I get an API error", "why is there no coverage in africa", "is this really live" and so on, although the information is very clearly available on the forum/FR24.

Comment

Mike;
      With all due respect I think the fact that so many people ask the same questions repeatedly only serves to prove the points I made.

gregg
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Yesterday we had 4 people posting asking for "API key error", 3 of the them within one hour as 3 posts in a row. Should we just keep the posts so in 3-4 days, 20 out of 30 posts in FR24-forum will be "KEY ERROR - FIX NOW", "WRONG KEY", "NOT WORKING", "WHY CAN'T I VIEW COCKPIT VIEW", "API ERROR". Would that make the forum better for anyone?

If there is a need we can give technical support, but we cannot put lots of time on people who ignore to read the information that is given to them.

With all respect to what you write "I have 2 eyes 2 ears and 1 mouth and I try to use them in that ratio- 2:2:1.". How do we apply this to this problem? What is your suggestion, how should we handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
          the fact that so many people ask the same questions repeatedly
          Just wanted to comment this as well. Yesterday we had 540.000 visitors on FR24 and about 17.000 visitors on the forum. 4 of these chose to post the question about API keys on the forum. I think that one of 135.000 is not so many. I would say that this is an extremely low number. So I don't think we have a general communication or support problem. It's a problem of reaching the last 0,00074% of the users, without destroying for 17.000 or 540.000.

Comment

WAIT! ! !
            You should use another day or week. If you want to talk about numbers...

Since the day you used was based on this thread about some news story going around the web for that day.
            All those news stories had links pointing to "Flightradar24.com" and not the forum link.
            One of the reason why you had 540,000 visitors.
            Rush hour in the skies: Real time map that shows you every plane in the air right now Flightradar 24 makes it possible to track flights all around the world PUBLISHED: 22:45 EST, 17 September 2012 At any given moment there are an estimated 5,000 commercial airplanes in the skies over the United States and now there's a

If those news stories had links pointing to the "Forum" area on FlightRadar24.com. You would have more hits on the Forum area

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Just wanted to comment this as well. Yesterday we had 540.000 visitors on FR24 and about 17.000 visitors on the forum. 4 of these chose to post the question about API keys on the forum. I think that one of 135.000 is not so many. I would say that this is an extremely low number. So I don't think we have a general communication or support problem. It's a problem of reaching the last 0,00074% of the users, without destroying for 17.000 or 540.000.
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Personally, I regard all questions on my forum as valid, even if they've been asked before by someone else. Admittedly I'm not running a related commercial business, just trying to help those who want to enjoy "radarspotting".

I sympathise with Mike and his team but I would suggest the solution is in FR24's own hands.

Maybe it's about improved help for members (they have to register to post so they've already made an investment) to find the answers so they don't have to post the question? The computer hardware, software and mobile phone operators face similar challenges and maybe a forum isn't the only solution?

Clearly my forum doesn't have the volume of visitors we get here, but all the more reason to have a rethink. Let's embrace all members, especially those who need help.
              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
              X